Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

only a codexer would have these..

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
A-ha. I guess it's quite rare then. Or will be.

analt

Scholar
Luzur said:
analt said:
DaveO said:
Luzur again for the win!

I dunno, the Origin shelf looks a little thin. Who has Ogre but no Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, Knights of Legend, Times of Lore, Bad Blood, 2400 AD, Tangled Tales and Windwalker? And there are things besides games on these shelves; if you don't have multiple closets devoted entirely to games, there's no way you can win a Codex pissing contest.

:Salute: to anyone who's actually played all the way through Legends of Valour, though. And kids today think they know bad games ...

i know, but i am still collecting, been out of a job since this depression began so i had no chance to expand on it and besides, so many people collect Origin nowadays so prices keep going up everyday. and Times of Lore is in the C64 pic.

and i collect RPG's mostly, i wouldnt have the space to fit it all if i collected ALL genres by the same developer, so those non-rpg games are from bigger deals ive made.

Ah, so you're buying your games from guys like me who've had them in the closet for 20 years. I'm not sure I'd want to know what they're worth now. I remember standing at the bargain bin one time debating whether to spend $10 on a replacement Ultima VI just for the manuals and moonstone and cloth map ...

How picky could an RPG player be at the end of the 80s? You could go RPG shopping and say "Nah, not in the mood for a medieval fantasy/postapocalyptic lowtech/postapocalyptic hightech/cavemen/steampunk game with real-time/turn-based/overly complicated/overly simplified/martial-arts based combat" and you'd still be working your way through the output of ONE developer. Unless you wanted first-person (which I didn't), you didn't really need anyone but Origin. And then they did Underworld and invented FPS ...

No wonder this stuff is so collectible. Who had time to play it all when it was new? I never set out to be an RPG collector, but when I heard that the genre was dying and in the dark wasteland of teh future there would be OMG NO RPGS, I started scooping up everything. By the time the economy went to hell and I had no money for games, there wasn't much worth buying anyway.

(Sorry about buying up the last Magic Candle, but the first one I got was missing the map.)

Luzur

Good Sir
yes, ebay.com, Tradera.se and ebay.de is my major sources along with specialized collectors forums (for those big package deals), but i also got connections to other major international and national collectors, like Bo Zimmerman (http://zimmers.net/commie/index.html), David Haynie (Commodore programmer) and others.

analt

Scholar
Luzur said:
yes, ebay.com, Tradera.se and ebay.de is my major sources along with specialized collectors forums (for those big package deals), but i also got connections to other major international and national collectors, like Bo Zimmerman (http://zimmers.net/commie/index.html), David Haynie (Commodore programmer) and others.

You really are a collector then. I'm just a guy who's got a shitload of games. I know the Ultima and Infocom stuff is pretty collectible by now, but the only stuff I've got that I'd actually think of as rare is Star Saga, maybe Wonderland. Are Dungeonmaster dongles considered a prize now? That one was just too goofy not to keep.

Luzur

Good Sir
Dungeonmaster dongles

the what now?

and Star Saga ive seen before (a non-complete, beaten up Apple II box) but have no idea of its rarity or worth.

and i began as a "guy with shitload of games" too, with some PC, C64 and NES games since i was a kid, but sometime around 1997-98 i bought an A500 from a friend and got the Death Knights of Krynn (shown in the pics) along with it and then this idea that i wanted all the Golden Box games complete was born, then this grew and suddenly the same idea happened with TES and Ultima, i only had Ultima 7 boxed before acquiring the rest (the rest was pirated on diskettes or CD's).

Might and Magic are all bought by me at release (got Might and Magic for C64 from my dad in the late 80's, the big yellow box beside Tunnels and Trolls, the PC version to the right i found at a bin sale years later.) except for the japanese releases.

analt

Scholar
Luzur said:
Dungeonmaster dongles

the what now?

This is from memory, but I'm thinking of:

IBM version that, expecting the user not to have a sound card, came with a serial port dongle that would generate sound effects through a line out to your stereo. I've never actually tried it.

That should be the theme of my entire dragon's hoard, actually. So many games, so little time. Kind of pointless, really. Except for looking at. I think there's only one series that I've ever finished completely -- and it's not even an RPG!

Luzur

Good Sir
fuck, just noticed i forgot to post the SSI part of the collection.

2pshrao.jpg

analt said:
DaveO said:
Luzur again for the win!

I dunno, the Origin shelf looks a little thin. Who has Ogre but no Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, Knights of Legend, Times of Lore, Bad Blood, 2400 AD, Tangled Tales and Windwalker? And there are things besides games on these shelves; if you don't have multiple closets devoted entirely to games, there's no way you can win a Codex pissing contest.

:Salute: to anyone who's actually played all the way through Legends of Valour, though. And kids today think they know bad games ...

I noted these were missing too. The ironic thing is that my small collection contains virtually all of the games that Luzur does not, as yet, possess. Not that he doesn't have a mass of titles I will never have....makes me think...

Together, we could rule the Universe as Father and Son!

On a side note, you would actually salute someone that has finished Legends of Valour? Horrible game, I avoid it whenever I can.

Mortmal

Arcane
Nice collections, but what happened to your boxes all of them seems damaged on the corners .. all of mine are in pristine condition, and theres some C64 boxes fromt he 80's.Once i get a decent camera ill add them
The boxes are a bit like rpg , something of the past , now you just have some basic dvd box , if you want a real box its ironically called premium or collector edition for 80 euros.

Good God...Look at the top shelf of the SSI collection....

I have most of them, and all of the Goldbox's, but most of my SSI's are the cheaper, plastic case versions with the little tape slot inside them if anyone knows what I mean. All the Phantasie games, Shard/Demons Winter, etc all in the proper cardboard boxes! Brilliant. Do they still have the new game 'smell' of the ancient floppy disks in them?

Also, do you have any of the EA/etc 'Albums'? I have Fire King, Legacy of the Ancients, Deathlord, Wasteland and Faery Tale Adventure Albums. Fairly certain there were more Album games.

Luzur

Good Sir
Blackadder said:
I noted these were missing too. The ironic thing is that my small collection contains virtually all of the games that Luzur does not, as yet, possess. Not that he doesn't have a mass of titles I will never have....makes me think...

On a side note, you would actually salute someone that has finished Legends of Valour? Horrible game, I avoid it whenever I can.

or i can just shoot you in the back as soon as you turn it towards me and take those games.

and i never finished Legends of Valour, i stopped somewhere in the lower dungeons under the city.

Nice collections, but what happened to your boxes all of them seems damaged on the corners .. all of mine are in pristine condition, and theres some C64 boxes fromt he 80's.Once i get a decent camera ill add them
The boxes are a bit like rpg , something of the past , now you just have some basic dvd box , if you want a real box its ironically called premium or collector edition for 80 euros.

because i want to get my games as cheap as possible and i dont want to wait 15 years for a mint condition box so show up with low "buy-it-now" value.
so i just buy the first CIB i spot, and some of these games have been bought at fleamarkets and through bigger package deals. heck i even bought a couple of SSI games from a grandmother who sold her sons stuff. :)

I have most of them, and all of the Goldbox's, but most of my SSI's are the cheaper, plastic case versions with the little tape slot inside them if anyone knows what I mean. All the Phantasie games, Shard/Demons Winter, etc all in the proper cardboard boxes! Brilliant. Do they still have the new game 'smell' of the ancient floppy disks in them?

i know what you mean, but i sold off those when i got the big box ones. and most of them still have that smell, a couple of the Ultimas do smell like tobacco though.

Also, do you have any of the EA/etc 'Albums'? I have Fire King, Legacy of the Ancients, Deathlord, Wasteland and Faery Tale Adventure Albums. Fairly certain there were more Album games.

the Bards Tale are, also the Legacy of the Ancients (seen as a grey stripe on the far right behind Last Ninja 3 on the pic with the C= calculators) is in that format, Wasteland i sold since it was just a ripped box with a disc and Faerytale is in a big box from MicroIllusions (seen besides Civilization ont he pic with Heroquest.)

i also had a couple of Infocom games int hat format, but i sold those since i never had any interest in those.

analt

Scholar
Blackadder said:

Because the man who can finish Legends of Valour can do anything. Which is probably why he hasn't actually done it.

Just the way they handle conversations -- it's a scrolling one-line crawl like a stock ticker, for fuck's sake! Makes you blind, gives you a headache, and if you act now, includes a bonus dose of "bee-dee-dee, bee-dee-dee, NASDAQ is down 10 points" medieval fantasy immersion -- is enough to make it look unplayable to me. It's the only RPG I immediately knew without a doubt that I would never touch again. And I've tried Undermountain, Daemonsgate, Icarus, Ring Cycle ...

Phelot

Arcane
Awesome collection Luzur!

Fens said:

Hey Fens, I keep seeing this box version. Is this the CD-ROM version or something?

I had this one except it didn't have "American Revolt"

syndicate-ar-box1.jpg

Fens

Ford of the Llies
phelot said:
Hey Fens, I keep seeing this box version. Is this the CD-ROM version or something?

nope... 3.5" floppy disks

mine is probably the european box

denizsi

Arcane
ScottishMartialArts said:
Only box from the list I don't have is Sanitarium. Everything else though I have. Or had I should say. The boxes were taking up too much space on my shelves so I got rid of the boxes, but kept all the manuals, quick reference cards, inserts, etc. Sometime I kinda wish I had kept the boxes, but had I done so my bookshelves would just have game boxes on them at this point.

high-five bro sis!

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=31829

I must admit, I've come to regret (or feel like being punched in my stomach about) some of those, especially WC4 and Blade Runner, but what's done is done. And I flattened some of those only because they didn't need cutting and can be put back into shape again.

I still have some of the 2 piece boxes safe. System Shock, Daggerfall, Darklands, Deus Ex, PST, Twitcher CE and a few more.

analt

Scholar
denizsi said:
ScottishMartialArts said:
Only box from the list I don't have is Sanitarium. Everything else though I have. Or had I should say. The boxes were taking up too much space on my shelves so I got rid of the boxes, but kept all the manuals, quick reference cards, inserts, etc. Sometime I kinda wish I had kept the boxes, but had I done so my bookshelves would just have game boxes on them at this point.

high-five bro sis!

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=31829

I must admit, I've come to regret (or feel like being punched in my stomach about) some of those, especially WC4 and Blade Runner, but what's done is done. And I flattened some of those only because they didn't need cutting and can be put back into shape again.

I still have some of the 2 piece boxes safe. System Shock, Daggerfall, Darklands, Deus Ex, PST, Twitcher CE and a few more.

boxesf.jpg

You can get a few dozen to the cubic foot for the wraparound sleeve kind.

And to those of you whose furniture takes up more space than your games, choose your words with care, for one of three fates awaits thee:

1. Thou shalt ever have < 1,000 games
2. Thou shalt stray from the path and abandon thy birthright
3. THOU SHALT SOMEDAY DO LIKEWISE!

DaveO

Erudite
Luzur, would you recommend Shard of Spring and Demon's Winter as a good follow up to Wizard's Crown/Eternal Dagger? I've heard that SoS and DW are pretty hard.

Luzur

Good Sir
DaveO said:
Luzur, would you recommend Shard of Spring and Demon's Winter as a good follow up to Wizard's Crown/Eternal Dagger? I've heard that SoS and DW are pretty hard.

i'd say, do both, since its kinda hard to choose between them.

and yeah,they are not exactly Oblivion-easy.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
phelot said:
check out these awesome Wing Commander blue prints. Talk about awesome.

What's amazing is that these came with the normal edition. No super expensive made-in-China bullshit mass produced metal boxes. THIS SHIT WAS PRINTED IN THE US OF FUCKING A

I used to have these hanging on my walls before my first girlfriend laughed at me when she saw them. I put them away. Perhaps I'll put them back up.

Z O M G

When I was a kid, I read the WC1 instructions all the time. Hung the posters, etc. SImply amazing. I miss good games so much. And I miss Space Operas. You'd figure with the popularity of BSG...

analt

Scholar
Blackadder said:
analt said:
DaveO said:
Luzur again for the win!

I think you're on to something. I felt a disturbance in the Force when I first viewed Luzur's horde, and the Gold Box post led me to the answer. See if you can figure it out.

mystary.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
THATS BECAUSE i collect the fantasy CRPG side of New World Computing, Origin and SSI.

those non-RPG games i have came from big package deals ive bought.

also, yesterday i discovered i still had that Megatraveller 1 box for Atari ST, i had thought i sold it.

+ i didnt take any pic of the SNES/Megadrive/Gameboy piles, will rectify this tomorrow.

EDIT: damn fucking spelling

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
img1180r.jpg

This box, I believe, is the European version of the Syndicate box. Since Bullfrog used to be a British company, that would make it the "original" version, wouldn't it?

My copy of the American Revolt add-on looks the same, only smaller.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
As with analt, I too have gone the way of the flatpack.

Observe, discreetly underneath a bed are two bags...

And a drawer and a shelf. There's more of the shelf to the left but Imageshack refused to upload it and meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom