Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

oscar

Arcane
I imagine us on the cusp of the neolithic revolution, only lacking serious agriculture.

Though the only reason I'm bugged by the very minor population growth over this time is that it makes me think those steps we took to increase food production (the free choice we used on carrot cultivation) and diversify our diet were for nothing more than some one-off 'fluff' text. I expected the pay-off to be a larger, healthier population but we seem to have barely progressed from our starting population.

Urist McLurker

Learned
It's a difficult one. Both A and C have advantages worth going for.

Is it possible that mastering fire magic could lead to not requiring fuel for a metal industry? Would that be a big advantage in the future? I'm not knowledgeable by any degree on metal but if we could near-perfectly control the temperature with fire magic without requiring fuel I'd assume that would be a massive advantage that would serve us very well for a very long time.
Forgive me if that's been mentioned before in the thread, gotta catch up.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I would be all-in for teaching everyone the ability to throw burning deathballs if not for the mind controlling threat.
His magic is of fire, not of the mind. There's no evidence to suggest that anyone is being controlled by him

What I meant with mind controlling was the gem and

He stood still, unmoving, his eyes unblinkingly fixed to the gem at the center of the pool. He murmured: 'The fire spirit... it is strong here. Much stronger than I ever felt it... it is calling to me... - and suddenly started walking towards the pillar.

Monty

Arcane
I think our population will take off once we have a period of steady growth without combat losses. Curufinwe mentioned it was barely 50 yrs since we arrived at the mountain, after which we expanded our food production to include sheep and other new sources. And then we lost 10 people in the volcano, more to attrition on the flight to the coast (according to the text) and now significant casualties in battle. Given time we should replace these and start a serious growth spurt as we've also added fish and the assimilated small tribes (am assuming less inbreeding is a good thing!)

Curufinwe

Learned
Update tonight?

Most definitely not. Tomorrow if I can. Hellish start of a week work wise, leaving home at 7 am and getting back past 8 pm too drained to do anything else than heading to bed. Writing in a brief lull before I leave again in half an hour -_-

Curufinwe

Learned
Tomorrow is yesterday.

I said I'd update if I could. I couldn't, was way too tired.

This evening I'm more or less coherent, so update time it is! Short update since it's a continuation of the last one, but update it is.

Slight victory for A. Weapon research it is.

Arguments and counter-arguments were produced during the council, with the keepers of fire and some elders supporting the Wielder trying to push through a new training program for the use of fire powers. In the end though the majority decided the biggest problem was the loss of obsidian and the subsequent lowering of the quality of our weaponry. We would need to find a solution. Three main positions soon emerged.

A. Our obsidian warriors were extremely worried by the diminishing remaining weapons: only 40 or so of us could be fully equipped with our black weapons. They said: 'Our edge against the beastmen was wholly dependent on our use of obsidian. After the mountain started disgorging fire we lost access to it. Smoke is still coming out of the mountain occasionally, but we haven't felt more tremors for a while now, the situation is quiet enough to warrant mounting an expedition. Let's send people back upriver to find more black stone, to replenish our stores.'
B. Some of the stone warriors argued: 'Although obsidian is clearly superior, our inferior stone weapons can suffice. The deciding factor was the use of javelins and ranged superiority. We think we need to sit down and put some effort into creating new, longer ranged weapons using the resources we have available right now.'
C. The head of the militia had spent the last year observing the axes we recovered from the beastmen's chieftain: 'This strange material these axes are made of is superior even to our obsidian weaponry. The old man from the scout's report told us fire was the secret to their making. We need to learn what he meant, so I say we start experimenting on one of those axes to understand how more of the same can be made.'

Alright, get voting then. Try to restore obsidian supply? Research new weapons? Or focus on the dull grey material of the superior axes you obtained from the last battle?

Vernydar

Learned
Undecided about what to vote here. Either B or C. A is frankly inferioer in my opinion. First, there's no telling if we'll manage to get more obsidian. And also, both sling/bows or metal weapons are better than just obsidian spears. A lot better.

I will think about whether vote b or c a bit more...

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Obsidian javelins killed third of the attacking barbarians and each warrior had only 3 javelin. With longer range and more shots, barbarians could be killed without resorting to melee. So my vote goes to B.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's funny to think about how these deliberations are happening without the invention of writing, cave-painting, or as far as we know, a systematic form of language. I imagine we mostly make do with lengthy body gestures and bestial growls, interspersed by somebody moaning and prostrating at fire.

B, it's difficult to tell what will be more efficient so purely personal preference on how we'd like to develop. Would match well with fire magic.

Esquilax

Arcane
Obsidian javelins killed third of the attacking barbarians and each warrior had only 3 javelin. With longer range and more shots, barbarians could be killed without resorting to melee. So my vote goes to B.

C

B is the worst choice in my opinion. We decided to go the route of bolstering our conventional weapon technology, and B would involve taking a step backwards in the effectiveness of our weapons, which sort of defeats the purpose. Also, while the javelins were one of the biggest reasons for our victory, remember that we had a lot of things going for us in that battle. We had high ground on an open field, and we had advanced warning of the beastmen's arrival from our scouts beforehand. We won't always have those advantages. If we ever make inroads into the forest or we'll get torn to shreds.

I think we need to invest more in weapons tech. Yes, it's a long-term investment that will take a ton of time, but it's incredibly useful. Just as important will be the spiritual benefits - I think that creating tools and weapons through fire is a great way to serve the fire spirits. It will show people that being a master of the forge and contributions to industry are just as valid a way of showing devotion to the fire spirits as being able to shoot fireballs. I am hoping that will end up having a moderating influence on our religion.

Lastly, we'll finally be able to cut trees and create more sophisticated boats and woodcrafts with iron.

Curufinwe

Learned
It's funny to think about how these deliberations are happening without the invention of writing, cave-painting, or as far as we know, a systematic form of language. I imagine we mostly make do with lengthy body gestures and bestial growls, interspersed by somebody moaning and prostrating at fire.

I know, I know. But there is only so much I could have happening with growls and gestures, sorry. :P Suspend your disbelief and ride along!:D

Vernydar

Learned
C
Hrm good point Esquilax. While I do still think that right now bows or slings would be a huge improvement, at the same time I would really like to work on metal. The tools upgrade if we master metalcrafting is well worth postponing the ranged weapons.

My only beef with this proposal is that I have no idea if we can actually pull it off considering that we have such crude tools. What are we going to use to manipulate the incandescent metal? For that matter, will our fire be hot enough? And no, I do not plan to use the fire keeper for this.

Urist McLurker

Learned
C For the reasons listed by Esquilax; metal isn't just useful for war, it's useful for everything in life, while having ranged weaponry is very useful it can't beat the chance to start metalcrafting.

It would be awesome if the religious beliefs the tribe holds coincide with a desire for industry, I can see that being really useful.

Cassidy

Arcane
C

Metallurgy is the key to the future, no matter how humble it begins. It will eventually change the future of the tribe forever.

It would be awesome if the religious beliefs the tribe holds coincide with a desire for industry, I can see that being really useful.

Once masonry gets in, why not bring in a messianic master builder?

Monty

Arcane
C

As others have said we're unlikely to see any results for generations but the ultimate payoff is worth the time investment.

As far as language and conversation goes, since we've always had descriptions of conversations and deliberations I'd always assumed we do have a language. Although this wouldn't really fit in with a stone age tribe in our Earth's history, the shadow spirits implied that we are the remnants of a more advanced civilisation so perhaps the few who survived the apocalypse never lost their speech.

oscar

Arcane
A, though I don't mind C too much as I feel things will be peaceful for a while.

Vernydar

Learned
C
As others have said we're unlikely to see any results for generations but the ultimate payoff is worth the time investment.

I am not entirely sure. Curufinwe said before that he's going to accelerate time in this let's play. I do think we're not going to see results immediately, but we're not talking of generations I think. Consider he said it's been about 50 years or so since we reached the mountain back there

Zwist

Learned
Hmmm, while C is clearly the best choice if it succeeds, yet it has a ring of "armour for our bear cavalary!" to it.
We do not know if we have ores nearby(or even what the hell that is), and the only fire we have that is likely capable of being useful for any kind of metallurgy is that of the wielder and his disciples.
So we risk that the wielder can turn the axes into some toys that are as sparse as the obsidian is, moreso even.

Esquilax makes a good point though. Although we are bolstering the prestige of the fire-disciples even more if we tread that path.

Ah screw this, our bears need plate-armour!

C

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom