Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wanted to vote for "Burn" the forest too :(

C - Let us avast more weapons, boats and let us train more shamans in the ways of the Wielder's fire magic!

newcomer

Learned
Oh hold on, the scout says "It was answered", I guess even without a scouting party we can expect an encounter anytime soon... Now I'm wondering whether C is actually needed...

Vernydar

Learned
Oh hold on, the scout says "It was answered", I guess even without a scouting party we can expect an encounter anytime soon... Now I'm wondering whether C is actually needed...
Well, sure we may have visits soon. once again, if it's ten thousand people better know it in advance and scram.

Esquilax

Arcane
Yes, we could lose quite a few scouts. But not sending them might be even worse. Either we send them, or we flee.

Suppose there's ten thousands barbarians. I don't care what he thinks, the wielder of fire won't be able to take them down. In that case, we flee. Or, any other number of things could go wrong. Facing these barbarians with no information could be a suicide.

So, if we do not want to investigate, we flee. Staying here knowing nothing is foolish

There is almost no chance that there are 10,000 wild barbarians in that forest. We've encountered and given sanctuary to two tribes so far who have been scattered, but have nevertheless managed to survive - if that many men swarmed on the tribe, they would all be dead. Second, their lifestyle doesn't seem to be sort that can give rise to that kind of population. They are a violent berserker tribe with a predilection for cannibalism, and that doesn't seem like the sort of lifestyle that could give rise to a tribe of ten-thousand warriors.

That being said, I do believe that they may outnumber us. We know that they've absorbed other tribes through conquest/enslavement, just as we have through diplomacy.

My concerns are more related to what Urist McLurker said. We have become aware of the power of the supernatural through the Wielder of Fire. Since our enemy is more spiritually attuned, it would make sense then that they probably have a similar prophet figure.

Internet

Scholar
B These people sound pretty primitive/borderline feral, the wielder's powers is probably enough to impress them into submission. Worst case scenario: wolf-man meets bear. It is risky, but so is C. (by the way, do we have an obsidian reserve, or crafting new weapons means pointy sticks?)

Vernydar

Learned
There is almost no chance that there are 10,000 wild barbarians in that forest. We've encountered and given sanctuary to two tribes so far who have been scattered, but have nevertheless managed to survive - if that many men swarmed on the tribe, they would all be dead. Second, their lifestyle doesn't seem to be sort that can give rise to that kind of population. They are a violent berserker tribe with a predilection for cannibalism, and that doesn't seem like the sort of lifestyle that could give rise to a tribe of ten-thousand warriors.

That being said, I do believe that they may outnumber us. We know that they've absorbed other tribes through conquest/enslavement, just as we have through diplomacy.

Maybe not ten thousands, But they are MANY more than us for sure. And no they have not conquered or enslaved anyone. They ATE them.

My concerns are more related to what Urist McLurker said. We have become aware of the power of the supernatural through the Wielder of Fire. Since our enemy is more spiritually attuned, it would make sense then that they probably have a similar prophet figure.

That might be. But I do not think they have a gem. They are not as stupid as we have been..

That said, guys. You say that the wielder of fire didn't do anything. What? HE BURNED ALIVE THE PEOPLE WHO DID NOT WANT TO COME TO US! I hardly think that a moderate approach you know?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
That said, guys. You say that the wielder of fire didn't do anything. What? HE BURNED ALIVE THE PEOPLE WHO DID NOT WANT TO COME TO US! I hardly think that a moderate approach you know?
What? They attacked him (key words there was that they "opposed" him, and in turn he "defeated" them, there wasn't any shooting of unarmed refugees here) and so he did the only sensible thing and defended himself. He didn't just kill them because they opposed him, they challenged him to combat and he fought back.

Vernydar

Learned
What? They attacked him (key word used there was that he "defeated" them, there wasn't any shooting of unarmed refugees here) and so he did the only sensible thing and defended himself. He didn't just kill them because they opposed him, they challenged him to combat and he fought back.

Uhm, it never said it was a fight to the death, could have been ritual combat, or just a combat to show one's superiority. Or it could have been no combat at all. Fact is, he burned them alive.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Uhm, it never said it was a fight to the death, could have been ritual combat, or just a combat to show one's superiority. Or it could have been no combat at all. Fact is, he burned them alive.
The fact that the tribal chief isn't screaming at the council "OH MY GOD YOUR SHAMAN'S A COMPLETE FUCKING MANIAC HE BURNED MY PEOPLE ALIVE UNPROVOKED" Suggests that whatever happened between the two parties, the Wielder was justified in his response.

Curufinwe

Learned
Ok, that was one of the semantics possible fuckups I warned about in the OP. They were burned because they protested. I hinted at the other tribe being 'forced' into it with the absolute show of obeisance they made to the elder council. My bad there I guess, with 'defeated' I didn't hint at any unprovoked attack or anything like that.
What went down was that the water shamans protested and he burned them. The rest of the tribe, a bit because they indeed wanted revenge, a bit because they were cowed, just agreed to follow our friendly local Wielder back home.
Apologies.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
Ok, that was one of the semantics possible fuckups I warned about in the OP. They were burned because they protested. I hinted at the other tribe being 'forced' into it with the absolute show of obeisance they made to the elder council. My bad there I guess, with 'defeated' I didn't hint at any unprovoked attack or anything like that.

:hmmm:

Well shit, now I just feel silly.

newcomer

Learned
What went down was that the water shamans protested and he burned them. The rest of the tribe, a bit because they indeed wanted revenge, a bit because they were cowed, just agreed to follow our friendly local Wielder back home.
Apologies.

:hmmm:

We need an antipope soon....
Although I think that subduing unbelievers is actually quite normal since it appears in our religions' history also...

Btw, if this is really the case why the other members of the delegation did not speak up (in secret) with the rest of the council?

Vernydar

Learned
Btw, if this is really the case why the other members of the delegation did not speak up (in secret) with the rest of the council?

Because they were scared? You know... our AMBASSADOR burned them alive.... the diplomatic guy.

I still keep saying this guy is dangerous

newcomer

Learned
Because they were scared? You know... our AMBASSADOR burned them alive.... the diplomatic guy.

I still keep saying this guy is dangerous

I see... I guess he simply wants to make our tribe a theocracy of fire religion with him on the top... If this kind of behavior continues I mean...

oscar

Arcane
Hey it was still willing. And they'll fight hard as they want revenge.

Zwist

Learned
C

While powerful we must not depend on the wielder on everything.
Sending in scouts into the forest will most likely lose them however.
This is a territory the beastmen know, threes prevent extensive javelin use and obstruct line of sight, so combat will quickly end in closequarters where we are going to get slaughtered.
Still, it is better than covering behind the wielder all the time. Rather stand beside him, spear in hand.

Also burning down the forest would be a sufficiently EXTREME choice.
I'm all for it.

C. "Burn forest" option would really make sense here. *wink-wink*nudge-nudge*
Not sure making (C) a separate option is necessary, though, since we could do either (A) or (B) along with it. But a few scouts probably wouldn't be vital in either defense or retreat, so some info wouldn't hurt.

Rumsfeld
You actually quoted the proof of your mistake and decided to throw insults at your back? Heh.
You are right on one thing, though - this should've started and ended at Curufinwe being a bro and telling me there's more to what had transpired - which he did, staying classy. And which was all that was needed. But some (not all) people couldn't help themselves but take insult to a simple enough comment, hadn't they? Including imagining a slight and taking offense from it. Et cetera, ad nauseam.

So, how about we make it civil? I'm capable of admitting that making fun of you was unnecessary, and I apologize for that - had I been more serious at the time, we probably could've ended it there. But can you do the same and admit you jumped to wrong conclusions?
We could even hug afterwards. But not cry - that'd be totally gay, man!

Hmm, on that note...

Curufinwe
Sorry for being an ass, at times. I do like your LP, despite all indications to the contrary.
Hmm, can I apologize in advance for the many times I'll be acting like ass in the future? Does that work? This being a reasonable adult is rather new to me...

Curufinwe

Learned
Curufinwe
Sorry for being an ass, at times. I do like your LP, despite all indications to the contrary.
Hmm, can I apologize in advance for the many times I'll be acting like ass in the future? Does that work? This being a reasonable adult is rather new to me...

The moment people stop criticizing the LP is the moment I know they don't give a shit anymore. So be an ass all you want, it's not a problem for me. :thumbsup:

At the very worst I'll toss anathemas in the name of the Emperor or stuff like that.
No offense taken, really, au contraire.

Tigranes

Arcane
This one seems fairly clearly a C, even after the new knowledge on the Wielder's volatility. We don't want to be too warlike as that gives more power to the Wielder, but to overly run away from conflict and deny him the chance to shine also denies any chance for him to be discredited. We need to keep the tribe on a moderate level of conflict / mobilisation, making the most of the Wielder until it is no longer effective.

Cassidy

Arcane
C

Also,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djinn

In Islamic theology jinn are said to be creatures with free will, made from smokeless fire

I'm not into the idea of empowering Djinns too much. Sounds like a recipe for a future of backwards tribals herding goats.

We already got a Djinn in the tribal council. At this point it is only a matter of time before a flaming DISCUSS!!! happens.

Curufinwe

Learned
Clear victory for C, who grabbed 14 votes against single digits for the other options.

Although he protested strenuously and left muttering something under his breath, the Wielder was overruled by the majority of the elder council. Command of the situation was given to the head of the militia, who immediately went into a flurry of activity to organize our defensive plan.

The first move was industrial: our scavengers and tamers were enlisted to gather and craft more weapons, using the stones that could be found on the hills and on the shores of the lake. They wouldn't be on par with our prized obsidian spears and axes, but it was all we had available. A solution for that problem would be needed, but now was not the time.

The second was military: three great scouting parties, each made of more than ten men and comprising at least a bear friend, were sent in different directions (see first map), one by boat and two by foot, to give an early warning in case the beastmen attacked.

KCHfF.png

The third was civilian: many boats were prepared and filled with provisions to carry our tribe further along the lake's shores in case what we had to face was too strong for our militia.

The scouting parties came back within a few days bearing news. Two groups (1 and 2 on the map) had spotted a throng of beastmen emerging from the forest, growling and howling, and heading straight towards us.

A rough estimate put them at 150 strong, all muscular men clad in animal skins, most barehanded except a few carrying great clubs made of bone and wood.
The throng was apparently led by a veritable giant who wielded two great axes made of a strange grey, smooth material, their hafts of black wood, clad in a great, black bear skin.

Knowing our enemy movements and strength, we counted our own forces.

Our army would be approximately 100 men strong. Of those, around 75 could be armed with obsidian weapons while the rest would use normal stones. Added to those numbers, we had five bear tamers with seven bears with them, all untested in battle, plus the Wielder of fire and his two apprentices.

With a confrontation apparently inevitable, as the defenders we had the opportunity to choose the sight of the pitched fight. Three likely spots were available (see second map):

kBtY0.png

A. Right next to the camp, with the river acting as a natural barrier.
B. A narrow plain between two great hills, along the shores of the lake. There it would be easy to maneuver.
C. The farthest spot from our camp, where the hills met the shore of the lake and lowered themselves into the plains. We'd have the height advantage.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
C
The high ground is the best spot to fight a larger force.
EDIT: Thanks Curufinwe

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom