Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Well, the guy did raise his hands in a very threatening way. And he dismounted rather insultingly. I'm getting tempted to attack them for no real reason, just to show them we aren't scared of them talking to us.

Curufinwe

Learned
A - Let's find out about their warning and perhaps their intentions before we take the risk to make new enemies.

Oh and also Curufinwe, how long do you think you'll manage to keep doing this Let's play?

Not planning to stop anytime soon. Held on to daily update for a month now, should be able to keep going a while longer.

Lindblum

Augur
We wouldn't be the "Good Guys" if we attacked indiscriminately at this point.

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
A - Let's find out about their warning and perhaps their intentions before we take the risk to make new enemies.

Curufinwe

Learned
The eldest moved to the back of the warrior line, and told them to disperse. The huge man grinned widely and walked forward, heading to the campfire around which the council was in session.

He sat on the ground next to the fire, then rummaged into his pouch and produced a green leaf. He then rolled it deftly in his fingers, took a small burning branch and lit it. Finally he put it in his mouth and puffed happily its smoke.

images

This small ritual completed (watched with interest by the keepers of fire), he addressed the council:

"Again, do not be afraid, and thanks for allowing me to speak. As I anticipated, I come bearing a warning from the Seer of the Mountains. We are a tribe living in the plains faraway from here – he gestured towards the distant horizon – at the feet of a great chain of mountains. The Seer is the most talented of our shamans, with the boon of farsight. He can see future events, helping to steer the destiny of our tribe, letting us avoid some dangers and exploit some chances."

He stood up, gazing at the elders through the flames: "Several days ago, the Seer woke up screaming from a nightmare. He ran to me, the chief of the tribe, speaking of a great peril being unleashed from this, the lone mountain at the end of the plains. He spoke of a tribe of fire worshipers, armed with wondrous black stone weapons, much more advanced than us. Yet ignorant of the ways of the spirits."
"He spoke of an ancient ward being weakened, of the horrifying consequences that would follow the event – his eyes take a distant look – The next day, he came running to me again, screaming 'Too late, it's too late! We must save them!' and implored me to take a fast party here, to implore you to heed his words."
"So, these are the words I bring you: you must flee this place, as quickly as you can, or a great doom will befall your people. I also bring you an offer to come with us, to greener pastures, to the open plains where the buffalo and the zebra roam free. Leave this accursed place while you can!"

He fell silent, then sat again. The eldest thanked him and offered him some food: "You must be tired from your journey. Please rejoin your men while we discuss your words". The chief stood again and bowed, following one of our warriors back to his riders.

At that moment, everyone could feel a small tremor coming from the ground. The elders gazed warily at each other, then the debate started.

A. The militia chief spoke first, glaring at the others: 'You are not seriously considering the words of this so called friend of ours? And this Seer? It's preposterous! Since we gave them hospitality, we should feed them, thank them and send them on their way... with a scout on their tail, to find out where they live and how much truth was in their words."
B. One of the elders took his place: 'Although his words do indeed sound preposterous, there is no harm in heeding them, for now. We have fast boats, we can move downriver for a few handful of days, while our herds follow on the riverbank. If nothing happens, we'll just come back here and carry on as usual.'
C. A keeper of fire rose up: 'Those men know the fire spirit and seem to commune with it in ways we never thought of. I dearly would like to see what he did with that leaf! I like them, we should take them up upon their offer.'
D. Another keeper angrily shouted him down: 'Are you mad? The fire spirit is strong in this place, we can see it everywhere, in the shiny black and dull black stones! I think this so called Seer of theirs is just envious of our mastery of fire and is trying to lure us out to steal our secrets! Kill them all!'

Esquilax

Arcane
A

I pray that our Keeper's sacrifice in the cave has stayed the Fire God's wrath.

Well, we know that magic exists now. Considering our isolation, I don't know how any other way that someone could have determined the name and location of our tribe. However, the gift of farsight can be used just as well for trickery and manipulation as it can to avoid danger. I am not taking the word of a bunch of strangers because some guy we never met told us that we should leave.

What's their angle in all of this? If we are so much stronger and more powerful than them, then why come in and make their presence known? I want to know what their Seer and tribe will benefit from negotiating with us.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well.. they might just be fooling us and leading us into an ambus or they might be telling the truth ( or what they think is the truth ).
The sound of living in the open green fields sounds more tempting to me then living in the shadows of the mountain. We could expand our domestication of new four-legged creatures and our own herd would grow bigger and stronger with the new pastures, we could even start trading, sharing technologies and other hippie-stuff with this new tribe if they continue to be friendly.

.. But then again the fire spirit is indeed strong here and for better or for worse, it would be unwise to anger them by leaving this sacred place.

I think i'll vote for the more cautios approach still, going with A. Send a scout after their party and gather some information of this new tribe.

newcomer

Learned
Since we already know what's inside the mountain, I think that A is much riskier than C in terms of our survival...
Assuming this new tribe doesn't have bows, technically we are superior in military (Spearmen & pikemen defeats cavalry)
Sadly our river navigation skill will be useless in plains...

Still, for now I vote C

Hmm, no animals running down the mountain? I'll gamble on the non-existence of magic then: A (D is tempting but might be taken as a declaration of war, which is not so good considering our situation)

Urist McLurker

Learned
Oh whhaat, they have smokes, horses, seers, and more mountains than us.
:x They must be first on our hitlist when we get around to making it in a thousand years or so.

As for now. Uhm. I'm not happy with any of the choices, I don't want to move from our lands, but I don't want to cause any offense to them, they've gone out of their way for us afterall, and the plains are flat, and long, I see no tricks around us.

B seems like a really bad choice, how do we know this event will happen in a couple days? Did I misread? If we leave for a few days, nothing happens,surely as soon as we're back, the volcano could blow up just as likely as it is to do so now. And how far upriver would we have to go to escape a volcano? It'll lead us to the arms of the barbarian manboon hordes.
I'm assuming it's the volcano they're rambling about.
I see little advantage to B but to weaken us, so I'm against that.

Tough one.

newcomer

Learned
Oh btw Curufwine, I don't know whether you know this but a few days (around 1 week) before a volcanic eruption, usually animals living on the mountain will start running downhill, and even predators will ignore their preys (they are more sensitive to this natural phenomenon than us). This is a bit gamey, but I guess I'll ask anyway:

Do our tribe notice that the animals on the mountain start running away from it?

Curufinwe

Learned
Oh btw Curufwine, I don't know whether you know this but a few days (around 1 week) before a volcanic eruption, usually animals living on the mountain will start running downhill, and even predators will ignore their preys (they are more sensitive to this natural phenomenon than us). This is a bit gamey, but I guess I'll ask anyway:

Do our tribe notice that the animals on the mountain start running away from it?

No, they did not. And I am aware of that animal behaviour.

Vernydar

Learned

Uhm this does not seem to be a natural eruption you know? Even if there IS an eruption, if it's some sort of ward expiring it will an instantaneous event...

Internet

Scholar
I don't know if A makes sense. These guys ride mounts, our scout couldn't possibly keep up with them (we aren't riding zebras or the much faster bears, right?), unless maybe he can follow tracks?
Staying sound like a danger knowing what's inside the mountain and moving for a few days might be useless.
Maybe we should accept their offer with a poker face, stay alert, and hope that Curunfiwe gives us a chance to subjugate them later? They only have clubs...

Edit: I just read Curufinwe's last post about animal behaviour. Screw these people, they sound too nice to be sincere and might be trying to lure us into a trap.
I'm going with A.

oscar

Arcane
B. Perhaps this is some sort of ambush plan but really that risk seems small compared to getting annihilated by a volcano. Just chill downriver for a week and see if anything weird happens.

Kipeci

Arcane
C.

We should go with them and learn from their people. If this just turns out to be a hoax, we could always kill them, take their stuff and head back home, but I think it'd be a good idea to pick up riding and lung cancer from these guys.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Congratulations Curufinwe, you have transformed ttwentyfirst century men in a bunch of superstitious larpers.
E make them talk by any means necessary, they know of our costumes probably because they have captured our lost men, if they resort to this trickery they shouldn't be numerous or want to attack us in the plains where they would have the advantage thanks to horses.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
If the LP was following that much realism, then our scouts would've just burst into flames the moment they so much as got close to the magma.

Going with B, by the way.

ScubaV

Prophet
Very tough choice.

D is out, that's just the insane option. A is likely to fail as someone said a foot scout will never keep up with their horses. So that leaves B and C. I don't think they're lying, but this is a prime spot and we'd basically abandon a lot of the knowledge we've gained here (fishing, boating, local plants, simple woodworking, charcoal). So I'm voting B. It seems like a slim chance we'll get to stay here, but that small chance is worth losing a week or so.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
B seems the more sensible option for now...

They know of our tribe, our name and the recent horrors we've seen on the mountainside...
And since we live in isolation it would be unwise not to place some stake on their words...
But the fact that option C is offered implies that they mean well and don't intend to trick us.
But our talents have evolved to be most suitable near water and their smokes speak of decadence.

We should probably leave a straggler or two behind though, to guide the group we sent to the mountain to our temporary new home.
The people we left outside were given explicit instructions to return to the tribe a day whence...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom