Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

oscar

Arcane
C

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
voting for C

EDIT: Just reread the choices (I derped), going with B instead.
I don't think we'd benefit from keeping the entrance guarded.

C. The echo is too sneaky to trifle with!

Hmm, I wonder if we'll find some deposits of hard minerals/metals we could use to replace our obsidian - we could finally chop some wood and not afraid of anything.

Vernydar

Learned
If we're dealing with a Shoggoth, all that means is that we're sending an even larger group of people into the meat grinder.

If we're dealing with a Shoggoth then we might as well try futily to relocate as far as possible. Before dying an horrible death.

oscar

Arcane
Just had the thought that in the next free update we should probably get around to the wheel. Chariots! :D

oscar

Arcane
frank_frazetta_thesilverwarrior.jpg

Vernydar

Learned
I doubt it. Not to sound repetitive, but we can't even cut down trees. We do not have cups, containers, or anything else. We do not have ropes. We cannot smooth wood, we cannot truly work it.
Until we get better tools I think it's simply impossible for us to carve out wheels :) Of course it IS possible that we will get better tools in one of the next updates. If we do not have to flee from Shoggoths that is :)

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A. Entrance should be guarded but not with that group. 5 soldiers and 3 hunters is too small fighting force should there be anything to fight with (I'm assuming that those scouts and keepers aren't the best fighting men we have). Instead a scout should run back to camp and recruit 5 more soldiers and 1 scout. Soldiers to guard the entrance and scout to inform the camp should anything happen.

Esquilax

Arcane
C makes little sense to me. It just seems so counter-intuitive; if you're not going to come in full force to determine what happened in the caves to our explorers, then why bother going in at all? It seems like such a half measure. Either go in resolutely with a lot of men ready to take on whatever's inside, or don't go in at all. Leaving five dudes outside "in case" seems pretty stupid because we've already decided to commit ourselves to this endeavor. I dunno, it just comes off as an incredibly half-assed approach to this problem.

That being said, I also want enough men to scour the caves and report on what they've seen. Splitting up will be for the best.

B

Vernydar

Learned
C makes little sense to me. It just seems so counter-intuitive; if you're not going to come in full force to determine what happened in the caves to our explorers, then why bother going in at all? It seems like such a half measure. Either go in resolutely with a lot of men ready to take on whatever's inside, or don't go in at all. Leaving five dudes outside "in case" seems pretty stupid because we've already decided to commit ourselves to this endeavor. I dunno, it just comes off as an incredibly half-assed approach to this problem.

That being said, I also want enough men to scour the caves and report on what they've seen. Splitting up will be for the best.

B

I am afraid that there's people (or things) in ambush in these caves, which is why I don't want to split up at all. At the same time, leaving a few people behind for cover, at least that's how I understand C, would I hope discourage would-be ambushers from hitting from behind.

For me, it was a toss up between A and C, but C seemed safer in case of an ambush from behind. That's the reason I voted C

Curufinwe

Learned
Uh huh... tactical deployment wins. Very well.

images

The head of the militia, supported by his men, quickly took charge of the expedition. He left half of his fighting contingent in front of the largest cave entrance, hiding in the nearby brush. It was then time to go in. Torches were lit, prayers were said and instructions were left with the men outside: 'Guard the cave. If anyone or anything attempts to enter after us, kill them. If we're not back within a day, send someone back to camp and report to the council.' Then the fifteen men strong group plunged into the darkness.

The cave cut straight into the flank of the mountain, the ceiling high and dry. Soon forks started appearing in the main path, heading left and right. One of the scouts, soon realizing the danger of getting lost, used a trick he had learned while ranging: using a sharp piece of obsidian, he cut straight marks in the walls of the cave 'So we know where we've been already' he said.

The party moved in the tunnels for a few hours, exploring dead ends, apparently walking through endless corridor of stone after corridor of stone. The danger of getting lost was indeed very real, but the scout's marks always brought them further, and deeper.

After a few uneventful hours, the main passage finally ended in a three-way fork.
A. The leftmost passage, narrow and steep, apparently led upwards. Its walls were strangely smooth. The keeper of fire moved there, went in and said: 'The fire from our torches seem to gain vigor in here. I say we focus our further exploration in there.'
B. The rightmost passage nondescriptly plunged onwards without changing inclination. One of the scouts went in for several steps, then gasped: 'The walls here... they seem to sparkle and reflect the light from my torch. We should look here.'
C. The middle passage plunged down, very narrow but still walkable. One hunter walked in, crouched and picked up something from the floor. It was a carved wooden figurine of the fire spirit, its craftmanship clearly belonging to our tribe: 'It seems the previous group came through here. We came here to find out what happened with them, this is where we should go.... yet, I feel uneasy in this passage...'

m4davis

Scholar
B. We should look for alternate passages to whatever drove are fellow tribe mates mad so that we don't face the same fate and the reflective walls will let the light from our fire go farther.

Internet

Scholar
A) Seems like it leads to another exit, hence the airflow that invigorates the fire;
B) Quartz cristals? Radioactive fungi?
C) Well...sounds like it leads to the reason we came here for in the first place.

C

Urist McLurker

Learned
Well if A leads to an exit, couldn't we go that way, then return back here to go another way, safe in knowing we have a quick escape route?
Also, if there's a way through the mountain that our tribe doesn't know about, surely that's something extremely dangerous to not know about, and something extremely useful to know?

If B brings us to something magical like metal, gems or some shit, what are we going to do with them? Mine them with obsidian? Seems pointless to me.

C. We came down here to find out what happened to the last group, sooner or later we're going to have to face what fate they came across. Might as well go the way they went.
Though I'm open to flip to A.

EDIT: Flipped to A.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
C

We came here to find out about our fellow tribesmen and now when our number is greater and we know "something" is lurking in the depths of the cave so we should be better prepared for whatever we'll find. Hopefully.

EDIT:Oh and also, great LP Curufinwe!

Esquilax

Arcane
A

Guys, if you wanted to confront this threat head-on, why did you leave half your men outside? We are fifteen strong inside the cave, but I believe that going to deal with this threat directly is not the best course of action. I think that this is a magical place, and it is possible that there is something in these caves that might give us the edge we need to deal with whatever's in the caves. On that note, I think A is the way to go. If we can find something in that passage that might invigorate the fire spirits, it might give us the edge we need against whatever's up ahead. It'll let us see better, it will boost morale and it might even result in us learning something about the world as well.

These caves are vast, and I think that there is more than one route to our objective. Why take the most obvious, direct route? The cave passage for C was described as "narrow", and considering the danger that lies ahead, I think that marching single-file along a narrow passageway like fools could result in a massacre.

Curufinwe

Learned
The cave passage for C was described as "narrow", and considering the pile of bones we see in front of us, I think that marching single-file along a narrow passageway like fools could result in a massacre.

What pile of bones? :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom