Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the Familiarity of Settings

What do you prefer?

• Traditional fantasy setting; unique story, but give me a familiar setting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fantasy but with unique elements. Some familiar things, some unique things, like Arcanum or Morrowin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That discussion Mondblut started in the one Dragon Age thread got me interested. What kinds of settings seem most appealing to you? Is it true that fantasy/scifi needs to have familiar elements to be "accessible" or to explain the story better? Or do you prefer completely unique worlds where exploring the gameworld can lead to discovering things that would be impossible in conventional fantasy?

Generally, I don't believe that any amount of familiarity is required for a setting to be good, interesting and immersive. I do prefer if there are humans or at least humanoids, but I don't doubt that a non-human setting could be interesting, too. But that's all the familiarity I need. Give me a player character who looks human, but the world can look and feel as alien and unfamiliar as possible.

While I do enjoy games set in conventional Elf-and-Dwarf settings, I do prefer having a setting that is a least a little different. Yes, you can make some interesting stories in classical Tolkien-inspired fantasy worlds, but... usually it's predictable. Elves are proud and noble, dwarves are strong and like beer and gold, orcs are barbarians who like to kill humans and demons are pure evil. Been there, done that. The good thing is that nobody will have to explain the setting to you. You read that there are elves, dwarves, orcs and demons and you immediately know who's who and what's going on. That way, the game can focus on the actual story without having to explain anything about the personalities of the races and so on.

More unique settings, on the other hand, are less predictable. They throw creatures and civilizations at you that you never heard of before. Or, in the case of Morrowind, they do give you creatures you know like Elves, but their civilization is completely different of what you would expect from elves. And then you go exploring and find out things about this world's history, about strange foreign cultures... it really *feels* like exploring an unknown fantasy world. There's actually some fantasy in this kind of fantasy. It's more creative and exploration will inevitably be more fun than in a generic "we're the elves and dwarves you know" setting, because the chance to find things you wouldn't have expected to find is infinitely higher.

Unique settings, let's take Planescape as an example, also have the potential to introduce new elements of story or gameplay. In Planescape, thoughts can shape the world. There are multiple dimensions and doors to them might pop up everywhere. And there are some very different kinds of creatures that you can play. There are more surprises for the player, and generally I find it a lot more fun to play in a setting that I haven't seen before.

What's your opinion on this issue?

Dele

Liturgist
I like forgotten realms, always have.

Always nice to recognise a monster in a game from the monster manual and so on.

Actually i prefer anything that is just D&D and uses stuff from the pnp.

BearBomber

Scholar
This sucks, I was most active poster after moodblutd, but nobody mentioned me. Fuck.

nomask7

Arcane
The PC should be human. The NPCs can be anything, I don't care. For monsters, I like traditional names + stats, or ones that are at least in the spirit of the traditional. A looser leash in terms of how they actually look like.

As a general rule, the setting should be unfamiliar. This isn't just my personal preference, but a rule of thumb for sound practice.

BearBomber

Scholar
I think that PC should be transported to the unknown world where deadly dangers dwell in every hole, where people are scared and paranoid. No more that: ,,Orcs now have civilization, and goblins are nice" bullshit. RPGs ARE ABOUT STRUGGLE OF UNIT (OR GROUP) AGAINST DEADLY ENVIRONMENT NOT ABOUT TOURISM.

BearBomber

Scholar
Barrow_Bug said:
It doesn't seem like they're about spelling or grammar either, apparently.

Who the hell are you and why are you trying to steal my CCP?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I prefer the setting to be not overhanded, where alot of time would be spent simply on explaining what a particular race is or what the history of that entire world is.

Unfamiliar settings are okay, but an entire game based on simply explaining what the world of the game is like would be too much.

Geneforge is a good example of a setting.

DraQ

Arcane
Bwah, codex got borked and didn't seem to accept my post. :(

On topic:

I'm a bit puzzled why TES universe, as represented by Morrowind is merely in second category (I voted for third). Admittedly there are some standard things in it - it rips-off Romans (Imperials) and medieval Europe (High Rock) and has evolved out of standard DnD rip-off (Arena), but apart from that, all it inherits are labels and pointy ears. Planescape, while cool, isn't entirely original either. For one, the setting is all-inclusive, which means, that nauseatingly mundane FR was in as well, it inherits reviled DnD alignment system and so on.

xuerebx

Erudite
2nd/3rd poll option are good enough for me. I seem to dislike the traditional fantasy setting, it must have some new and interesting stuff added to it to make me like it.

mondblut

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Or, in the case of Morrowind, they do give you creatures you know like Elves, but their civilization is completely different of what you would expect from elves. And then you go exploring and find out things about this world's history, about strange foreign cultures... it really *feels* like exploring an unknown fantasy world.

Concerning Morrowind, I never understood what "original" ppl see in its setting. Sure, some of the architecture is fucked up, but other than that, it's the same old "not nice dark elves" stuff. In Arena and Daggerfall they were just a Drizzt cash-on completely with white hair and red eyes, Morrowind expanded on them a bit but still the generic Underdark roots are telling.

And Roman legionnaires poised against them, how original :roll:

BearBomber

Scholar
mondblut said:
JarlFrank said:
Or, in the case of Morrowind, they do give you creatures you know like Elves, but their civilization is completely different of what you would expect from elves. And then you go exploring and find out things about this world's history, about strange foreign cultures... it really *feels* like exploring an unknown fantasy world.

Concerning Morrowind, I never understood what "original" ppl see in its setting. Sure, some of the architecture is fucked up, but other than that, it's the same old "not nice dark elves" stuff. In Arena and Daggerfall they were just a Drizzt cash-on completely with white hair and red eyes, Morrowind expanded on them a bit but still the generic Underdark roots are telling.

And Roman legionnaires poised against them, how original :roll:

Thisis a first time i completely agree with mondblut.

ARZ

Novice
I prefer Fantasy but with unique elements, although I could enjoy a 'normal' fantasy provided it's a LOTR or Warhammer game.

'Pure' fantasy was just a base set by Tolkien, games based on it should have other influences and ideas that come from the developers. This is why DA seems a bit mundane to me, you basically have the LOTR universe but without all the great lore and stories.

I would love a tribalism-type setting where you pick between, say, Dwarfs, Goblins, and Orcs. That would be cool.

And the creatures you encounter should not be the generic dragons-werewolves-demons, although they could be if it's done in a non-generic way. Perhaps the devs can come up with their own creatures, or use some other not-so-well-known monsters?

I don't know, all I'm saying is that fantasy settings should have input from the creators of the game, and not depend completely on previous works.

DraQ

Arcane
As for the second category, I'd dump all the "Fantasy with a twist" there - Sapkowski's Witcher, some sort of typical fantasy, but inverted as in "Goblins" comic, where players would take the role of creatures normally considered XP-fodder (not ncessarily low level XP fodder, but you get the drift), etc. Still potentially interesting, but not as much as the third category.

Or, just insert it as 1.5 category. :P

BearBomber

Scholar
Usual fantasy is outdated and shouldn't be used in video games. Tolkien created his world to tell a story about struggle between good and evil, and show hos awesome he is at creating fictional languages. The setting for the new RPG games should be created after deciding what the story and/or gameplay will look like. However if the game designers' focus gameplay or action they should create their own original world. After all I don't want to pay my money for a recycled work.

Eldritch

Scholar
Real world parallel/alternate universe FTW...

You know guise, I'd really love if they did a "what if?" scenario based on real cultures that died/were destroyed/disappeared. What if the motherfuckers survived and advanced? An advanced pre-Indian Mound builders, civilization, Maori's with steel tools and catamaran/outrigger supercanoes made from Giant Redwoods. Maori's are cooler than Orcs to boot, eh they eat your entire tribe and doesn't afraid of anything.

That shit sure is hella more fantastic than your fantasy setting of the garden variety for me. Much more impressive in the truest sense of the word.

Imagine if those Aboriginals and the Native Americans haven't killed off and domesticated all the giant mammals and the marsupials and all those terrestrial birdies that weren't afraid of humans one bit because they evolved alien to the concept of hunter-gatherer hominids in different continents. Starting with a limited access to a very primitive agriculture bolstered by the beasts prowess that allows a basic level of technology that could advance even more with the expansion into others cultural territories... Imagine the later civilizations with the thunderbird fast cavalry that can rip your head off with those beaks or the heavily armored collossal ground sloth juggernauts used at sieges and as devastating shock troops with sharpened metal plates covering those huge claws.

"Races" could easily be constituted of humans from radically different cultures, you don't really need the elvz & dorfs because they're already so extremely humanoid they might as well BE humans with a different flavor. They ain't Alien enough to justify being another species in the first place, it's gotten a bit too stale really. -A Clevesque Caucasian blonde assburger ice age survivors descended from the assburger white apes would make much better elves imho. Assburger Aryan Elves...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't really like seeing orcs, elves, goblins and dark lords in anything, because the whole plot can be instantly guessed with perfect accuracy once you see one of those races. Taking familiar races and changing their roles isn't new or exciting either. I like to be taken to a new and unique world with sights I haven't seen before and fight against foes I couldn't imagine fighting against. Having a more down to earth story isn't all that bad either (no saving the world). PlaneScape got it right by making the whole game about me, The Nameless One.

made

Arcane
Personally, the elves in Morrowind reminded me of Fremen more than anything else. Especially the Ashlander tribes with their messiah prophecy.
There were lots of details in that game that, taken individually, were just stuff that you've seen/heard before, but as a whole made up a decently interesting gameworld.

Even Planescape isn't as original as it's made out to be. All it does is create a bridge between various mythologies and settings, with Sigil as its centerpoint where all philosophies and beliefs meet and fight for dominance.

What matters, imo, is the presentation. As long as the lore is plausible, well written and at least remotely interesting I don't mind it featuring stock fantasy cliches. It's certainly preferable to cramming lots of ridiculous stuff that doesn't make sense into a setting just for the sake of being weird and different.

bhlaab

Erudite
Forget fantasy and sci fi, where's my Miami Vice RPG?

Where's the rpg where you explore the staunch and crushing politics inside of an ant colony?? (it could be like ultima underworld!)

how about No One Lives Forever the RPG?

These are all thin, probably bad ideas that just came off the top of my head but they're still better than Forgotten Realms Again. I think the RPG genre is in such dire straits nowadays that being different for the sake of being different can only be a good thing.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
bhlaab said:
Where's the rpg where you explore the staunch and crushing politics inside of an ant colony?? (it could be like ultima underworld!)

Fund it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom