Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Omerta - turn-based mafia game in the making

Gord

Arcane
Hey,

just found this (article is in german):
Omerta, a TB game with you playing a mobster in the 1920s, in the making by Kalypso Media and Haemimont (Tropico 4).

The premise is that you start out as a small gangster and work your way up through the ranks, starting your own gang, up to a full blown syndicate.
Reminds me a bit of the old "Mafia" game on C64, anyone remembers that one?

Is looking interesting, seems as if TB is the new shit right now...

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Looks really cool so far. I'd love a game like this and these guys aren't horrible devs so I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

seems as if TB is the new shit right now...

I'm so ok with this. Lets hope these upcoming games make some money (and don't suck) so we can keep milking this small resurgence.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
not much information yet, sut it sounds generally promising. I like the setting, even if 20ies/30ies is a little overused when it comes to mafia settings.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks really cool so far. I'd love a game like this and these guys aren't horrible devs so I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.
kalypso?
they release like 10 titles a year, only a couple not being utter shit.

spectre

Arcane
Hmm. Interesting premise. It's been a while since we have had a strategic mafia game. And I wasn't really able to get into Gangsters: Organized crime much.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger

Phelot

Arcane
The action didn't look so TB, or was that just cutscenes?

Eyeball

Arcane
I was about to write a post defending Kalypso due to them making the Tropico series and Galciv 2, but I noticed that they only made Tropico 3 onwards and just published Galciv 2, making the games they've actually made themselves pretty dire.

The video seems to be another one of that line of games - animation is clumsy as hell and it shows no gameplay at all so far.

Why can't they get Nival to make a gangster game? Their Silent Storm engine would be exceptional for that purpose.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
kalypso?
they release like 10 titles a year, only a couple not being utter shit.
What kind of games? I never heard of them.

Wasn't Jagged Alliance: BIA published by Kalypso?

On topic: expecting the worse.

Haemimont developed Tropico 3 & 4, I'd say that qualifies them as 'not horrible'.

Marobug

Decent developer, turdastic publisher. I'm unsure what to expect but at least the idea is nice.

Renegen

Arcane
I'm excited, the developer is pretty good. Too bad there's no gameplay shown.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Looks good. But they have not finalized anything.

Tropico 3 was actually a good game. One of the three or four I bought in the last 2 years.

But hey, I wouldn't be too sure that it's really a turn based game.
Yeah, he used the word "rundenbasiert".. but do people these days people even know what that means? Like in RPG = game with swords, game is turn based if you give tactical orders from above ;)

I wouldn't even be surprised if we're soon going to see a new generation of "realtime-turnbased" games soon ...

Computer gaming is irrevocably fucked up, don't forget that.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Colour me tentatively excited. Tropico was decent entertainment and I've always had a soft spot for 1920s settings. We need less orcs/zombies/nazis/aliens and more film noir.

Omerta_E3-2012-5.jpg

:bounce:

spectre

Arcane
This could turn out pretty good. Liking what I see so far. IF it is actually turn based, because you can never know with Germans these days (cue BitComposer)

15+ hours of gameplay in a single play-through
Seems a bit on the short side, I assume it's one playthrough for each map, which makes it sound a bit better.

Aaand this:
Turn-based tactical combat with a cover system and stealth action
By all means, let the butthurt run loose, codex.

Gord

Arcane
Seems a bit on the short side, I assume it's one playthrough for each map, which makes it sound a bit better.
Depends on how the 20 or so announced maps work. Are you playing the different parts of the city separately or are you going to take over the whole city and the maps just define the different parts you can all visit in one game?
15 hours can actually be ok if the replayability is large enough. I had this cool game called Mafia on the c64, many years ago. It had a very similar idea and one playthrough didn't take very long. Yet the motivation was big enough to replay it multiple times, and no game ever played completely the same, as there was no real story you followed.

Aaand this:
Turn-based tactical combat with a cover system and stealth action
By all means, let the butthurt run loose, codex.

Personally, I don't have issues with a cover system. Much better if my guys can take cover behind some furniture, cars, etc. than just having battles where your guys stand 10 meters apart from the enemy and both shoot until one side is dead.
It's only a matter of gameplay - if it's popamole invincibility mode as in certain modern shooters, then it's stupid.
If you have the possibility to flank the enemy, use suppressing fire, grenades, etc., it's an addition to gameplay.

spectre

Arcane
Kalypso is the publisher. BitComposer alone is responsible for the turd that is BiA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom