Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Omega syndrome

kaizoku

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I started the LP as promised.
:thumbsup:
for the lazy: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64239

Are you playing the 13 MB demo version, or did you get your hands on the 30? MB shareware version?
If so, then share the wealth among us, since AFAIK it's legal to distribute the shareware version.

riptide

Scholar
He's using the 3.32 version, which is even newer than the 3.24 version that is being offered on all those "shareware" sites.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Surf Solar said:
Game sounds promising, only the art assets could need some polishing/editing to make them look more like one unit, rather than a couple of seperate lifeless elements. Nice! I am actually amazed that an apparently finished cRPG is kept so low profile. A shame the guy stopped developping.
Well, the game has a pretty long history. It started out as a RTwP hack and slash with choose your own adventure book elements or something like that and then started being more and more like Fallout. TB combat, speech skill, etc.
It used to be quite Codex-Approved until the author added a mandatory iron man mode in one of later updates which put a lot of people (read almost everyone) off.

It was very promising, just needed more thought, testing and polish to be put into it. The story is a bit of a tragedy as the dev gave up at the point when it was starting to take good shape - it was possible to play it iron man for a longer time instead of getting stuck in the prologue part, compulsory iron man was removed, there were new ideas like no hit points on level up, he just introduced Fallout-style aiming screen, etc.

kaizoku said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I started the LP as promised.
:thumbsup:
for the lazy: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64239

Are you playing the 13 MB demo version, or did you get your hands on the 30? MB shareware version?
If so, then share the wealth among us, since AFAIK it's legal to distribute the shareware version.
I'm playing the full version, which I have bought several years ago.

kaizoku

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Lucky bastard.

Don't you have any shareware version lying around? Maybe copied to some old CD?

I would also be willing to try the bugged 3.42 because I play my games on VMware, so maybe the bug doesn't trigger.

By the way, from what you played (in the past) how would you rate the game?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
kaizoku said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Lucky bastard.

Don't you have any shareware version lying around? Maybe copied to some old CD?
No.

kaizoku said:
By the way, from what you played (in the past) how would you rate the game?
My cRPG rating list is:

ADOM 9/10
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 7/10
Fallout 1 & 2 7/10
Ultima VII 7/10
Wasteland 6/10
Planescape: Torment 6/10
Arcanum 6/10
Darklands 6/10
Incursion demo 6/10
ToEE 6/10
Exile 2: Crystal Souls 5/10

To be honest it's hard to rate a game like this. The problem is that it tickles all the right places - it's TB and isometric with Fallout-like character development system, it has skill checks in dialogues, it has the choose your own adventure moments.
On the other hand I linked it to several people outside the Codex who were Fallout fans and almost all of them have said that it's complete shit after playing the demo. It's pretty uneven and sometimes badly balanced and I bought the full game over a year after playing the demo for the first time and mainly because how grim things were looking for the Falloutlike genre and only after it got heavily updated during that time and ugly fog of war was removed, mandatory iron man was removed and got that nice loading screen.

I think I'd give it 4/10 as it doesn't have the level of quality and professionalism (stuff like making the mandatory iron man mode without even rebalancing the game for it and designing it to be ironman mode-friendly, poor balancing of the start of the game in general in older versions, lack of consistent polish like for example Fallout-style descriptions of stuff, awkward interface, super temple of trials turbo start, etc) of all the other games on the list but I like it a lot for the things that I mentioned and for the atmosphere. I find the writing rather awkward but most of it in a way Lovecraft/Bradburry way, so it's still likeable.
So, it's 4/10 but I like it a lot. A lot of faults accompanied by interesting redeeming features.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Hey guys, I just saw some PMs telling me about this thread.

I just want to say, don't buy the game as I am unable to support it. I'll have to figure out how to take it down from my old payment processor. The last time I tried, they said I had to wait a year and then I forgot about it. As no one knows about the link to buy it, I didn't think it mattered.

The reason I can't support it, is the engine is all broken up into little pieces ATM, as for the last year I have been moving it into the C4 Engine. As I pointed out in a recent PM, I am an old burn out, so don't expect me to finish anything anytime soon. I am just doing things for fun now.

As for people saying they know why I stopped, that is just conjecture.

The fact is, almost no one wanted to buy it, for the two or three years(?) it was out there, no matter if the price was higher, or at give away prices. So I was trying anything at the very end.

The game I made, just wasn't what people like. A lone wolf programmer can't be good at all things, my writing and design abilities are not the best and paying for artists, was too expensive for me, so in the end I was worn out.

As you see from the above review, anything you make is compared to titles with big budgets. Customers don't care if you are an indie and why should they? So this also reminds me of the other reason why I stopped.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Hey Davaris!

Glad you're still around. I have to say, your game doesn't look that "bad" as you make it - it just needs a bit more polishing on the edges from what I saw and read here and in Awor's Let's Play. Also, if it would not be for this thread here I accidently stumbled upon, I'd have never heard about this game, and I am sure I am not the only one.

These both reasons are the main issue the game didn't sell that well - IMO. I get that you are jaded and burned out, but why not give the game another chance? Gather 4-5 people who like to help you, polish it a bit and re-release it while doing some mouth-to-mouth propaganda etc. Would be a shame if you put so much work in the game and then just abandon it. ;)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Gather 4-5 people who like to help you, polish it a bit and re-release it while doing some mouth-to-mouth propaganda etc.

I made that game on my own, because I got stick of waiting for non-productive teams. All they seem to do is talk and argue. :lol: Of course teams can work out beautifully for some projects and I admire it when it does.
Would be a shame if you put so much work in the game and then just abandon it.

It would be throwing good after bad. My only regret is not stopping a lot sooner.

TBH I think that spy genre is cursed for RPGs. I was watching Obsidian's Alpha Protocol, well before it was released and was expecting it to fail for that reason.

IMO, you must have well defined Fantasy or Sci-Fi elements in your RPG, but fantasy has the largest fan base by far. Mixing lots of reality with a little sci-fi, just doesn't interest people.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Davaris said:
The reason I can't support it, is the engine is all broken up into little pieces ATM, as for the last year I have been moving it into the C4 Engine. As I pointed out in a recent PM, I am an old burn out, so don't expect me to finish anything anytime soon. I am just doing things for fun now.
Hello, Davaris. Is your Flash-Gordon style cRPG project with miniatures still alive?

Davaris said:
The fact is, almost no one wanted to buy it, for the two or three years(?) it was out there, no matter if the price was higher, or at give away prices. So I was trying anything at the very end.
I don't think altering price is "anything". A good start would be to polish (with stuff like interactive computers, short descriptions of stuff like computers, vehicles, etc. - examining the UFO fragments in the magazine on level one was quite a nice touch - it would be nice if there would be more of such stuff) the initial dungeon, decrease its linearity, add some alternative solution and generally rebalance it so that it would be inviting for new players and making the interface less crude. Or replacing the starting dungeon with something different altogether.
Rebalancing it for lesser deadliness was a good start to making the game more attractive for the potential audience, but it still was basically an obstacle to experiencing the best part of your work.

While the dungeon was pretty bland, unpolished and felt like a chore even after rebalancing, I enjoyed the later part of the game with these choose your own adventure encounters, narration and exploration.

Davaris said:
The game I made, just wasn't what people like. A lone wolf programmer can't be good at all things, my writing and design abilities are not the best and paying for artists, was too expensive for me, so in the end I was worn out.
Most of gamers didn't have a chance of tasting the interesting part of your work as people who downloaded the demo would get thrown into a long dungeon crawl. Especially that for some time it was iron man only which made finishing the demo extremely hard.
And the same with the full game itself. Basically, the proper game starts after leaving the base Gamma.
You had some very interesting stuff (which means that as a lone wolf programmer you can create something attractive) but you put a long uninteresting part before it and every time someone starts new game/downloads the demo, he needs to get through the uninteresting stuff which probably puts a lot of people off.
In the end, when doing a low-budget game, it's good to throw the stuff that is its strongest part from the beginning. For example to me, Omega Syndrome would be a Falloutlike game with cool choose your adventure moments as I got to experience the cool part, while for someone who never got past base Gamma, it would be a horrible game about killing worms in some underground base and in the old mandatory iron man version, it would be a horrible a game about getting killed by the worms in some underground base.
When gamers download the demo (and generally start the game - compare the time of getting from the start to place where you have multiple NPCs to interact with and free travel in OS to time of getting from the start to such place in Fallout) you basically have several minutes to throw your best at them.

As for design problems - some people would be willing to do some design for free just for the joy of seeing their ideas implemented.

Davaris said:
As you see from the above review, anything you make is compared to titles with big budgets. Customers don't care if you are an indie and why should they? So this also reminds me of the other reason why I stopped.
Neither ADOM nor Exile2:Crystal Souls had a big budget. And ADOM is on the top of the list despite being a non-commercial game made by one person.

Davaris said:
Gather 4-5 people who like to help you, polish it a bit and re-release it while doing some mouth-to-mouth propaganda etc.

I made that game on my own, because I got stick of waiting for non-productive teams. All they seem to do is talk and argue. :lol: Of course teams can work out beautifully for some projects and I admire it when it does.
Sometimes talking is as valuable for making a good product as working. For example when Syndicate was being made, the team would play it a lot and would say "this part of the game is shit, it needs to be changed" or "this stuff is great we need more of it", "or adding that stuff would be cool" and then features would be added/removed basing on what they say, in the end making a great and popular product.
Then all these features would be tested by the team, all before the public gets to play the game.
So, what is needed isn't a development team that would slow things down but a tester team with genre-literate people, preferable with some designer ambitions of their own so that they could throw in some intelligent criticism and ideas.

Davaris said:
Would be a shame if you put so much work in the game and then just abandon it.

It would be throwing good after bad. My only regret is not stopping a lot sooner.
Well, I'm glad you didn't stop a lot sooner. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to play it :) . It's still at least one Falloutlike to play and just being able to start with a decent character and get outside the base without 20 attempts made it much more fun to play.

Davaris said:
TBH I think that spy genre is cursed for RPGs. I was watching Obsidian's Alpha Protocol, well before it was released and was expecting it to fail for that reason.

IMO, you must have well defined Fantasy or Sci-Fi elements in your RPG, but fantasy has the largest fan base by far. Mixing lots of reality with a little sci-fi, just doesn't interest people.
Omega Syndrome was very Sci-Fi-heavy.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Hello, Davaris. Is your Flash-Gordon style cRPG project with miniatures still alive?

That project ended when I stopped the Omega Syndrome. The art issue was going to be a problem and I was burnt out.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
As for design problems - some people would be willing to do some design for free just for the joy of seeing their ideas implemented.

I have often thought about making a game that people can alter online, the authors get credit and people can vote on what they think are the best changes. It would be an interesting experiment to see if the Internet, is smarter than the better game designers out there. Pity I don't have the technical skills to try something like that.

Most of gamers didn't have a chance of tasting the interesting part of your work as people who downloaded the demo would get thrown into a long dungeon crawl.

I also tried releasing larger parts of the game earlier on. The bottom quarter of the world map was open and it made no difference to sales.

Something a successful designer I know said, Some games don't sell no matter what you try. You just have to let them go and make a new game.

I get the SciFi channel here in Australia and right now they are playing Dr Who the Tom Baker years. IMO it is the best Dr Who made and the fans agree, because it is the most requested show SciFi have ever had.

The parts of Dr Who the Tom Baker years, that are most interesting for me, are when he goes to other planets, an original world is created and there are two or three competing factions, with detailed histories and a unique look.

The less interesting shows, are when they return to Earth, be it in the past or the present.

So that is what I mean when I say the genre doesn't work well. Someone suggested it might work better as an FPS. They were probably right.

Honestly old boy, the real killer in Omega Syndrome for people would have been;

1) Enforced Ironman (this was the big one).

2) Worm dungeon start lacking the later goodness of the game.

If you changed these issues later, it didn't matter: many people already had these things in mind, and I even don't recall hearing they had changed...where does this leave the average bear?

Your insouciance when taken to task over these two issues didn't help your cause either. I still remember many people whining about these two issues (the ironman business most of all) and you refusing to budge an inch from your standpoint. I thought at the time that you obviously didn't care about sales...but I see I was incorrect.

It is a decent game. If you chose to re-release it, bearing in mind the two points above, I daresay it would go a little better this time around.

Blackadder said:
Honestly old boy, the real killer in Omega Syndrome for people would have been;

1) Enforced Ironman (this was the big one).

2) Worm dungeon start lacking the later goodness of the game.

If you changed these issues later, it didn't matter: many people already had these things in mind, and I even don't recall hearing they had changed...where does this leave the average bear?

Agreed. After seeing Awor's LP, it's clear that the starting section is far too long. Rats and worms just aren't fun to deal with under any circumstances. Best to keep it as short as possible. Look at how many people hate the Temple of Trials in FO2, even though it's relatively short.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Marobug said:
The engine in particular has truckloads of potential, BG2 in this engine would be hands down the best game ever.
:rpgcodex:

Nothing could make BG2 be even NEAR to being the best game ever.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Davaris said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

That project ended when I stopped the Omega Syndrome. The art issue was going to be a problem and I was burnt out.
Oh :( . It's a shame as I was very fond of the idea of playing a tabletop Role Playing Game on computer ;) .

Davaris said:
Most of gamers didn't have a chance of tasting the interesting part of your work as people who downloaded the demo would get thrown into a long dungeon crawl.

I also tried releasing larger parts of the game earlier on. The bottom quarter of the world map was open and it made no difference to sales.
But was it possible to get to the open map without doing the Base Gamma mission? Also, was it before or after the game became a Falloutlike? All the versions that I have tried started in Base Gamma.

Davaris said:
Something a successful designer I know said, Some games don't sell no matter what you try. You just have to let them go and make a new game.
That's... quite... depressing :( .

Though from what I've seen in old threads on the codex, there was a lot of people liking Omega Syndrome and talking positively about it but almost everyone gave up on it when you have implemented the mandatory iron man.

There's one thing that you're missing here, though. You mentioned here and in the 1.3.24 version thread that it didn't sell no matter what kind of marketing and demo you did.
The thing that you're missing here is that it's impossible to draw any conclusions from this as every time you were selling another product which wildly varied in nature and quality.
You weren't selling one game called Omega Syndrome. You were selling several games under that tittle and each of them would be attractive/unattractive for a different audience.

IIRC It began as a RTwP game, which obviously is attracts another audience than a Falloutlike. There were tons of RTwP games back then, so you were targeting a heavily populated niche with a low-budget game.

Then you have added the turn-based mode, but it still wasn't a Falloutlike. I saw requests for the speech skill in 2005, so I assume it wasn't implemented. Still, being turn-based alone does nothing to allow to target the Fallout's audience.

In 2006 you added the speech skill but also scared away almost all your customers with the forced "hard game" mode. It also had pretty ugly fog of war and poor animations.
During that period you also had the "premium game" ideology basing on which, you set up a price that obviously clashed with quality of your game. So, while you had a product that was a beginning to be a Falloutlike, you made some horribly bad marketing and design decisions that made it unsellable and additionally damaged reputation of your game and company.

In 2007 you removed the forced iron man and the horrible fog of war and added vastly improved animations. Still, the Gamma Base was unreasonably tough (and repetitive and boring) and still made the iron made mode pretty much unplayable, but this was the period when the quality of the game improved enough and the price dropped enough to make me seriously consider buying it.
Actually, it was the point when the game could offer something to the Fallout audience. Still, the whole thing needed more polish.
The only reason I decided to pay the price was that it seemed like Falloutlikes are getting extinct and it's the only one around.
But still, only since then it was a valid product for for someone who desperately wanted a Falloutlike. Not when it was a Baldur's Gate-like, not when it lacked the defining features of Fallout and certainly not in 2006 when it was obscenely expensive and broken by the mandatory Iron Man mode for which the game wasn't balanced.
So, in the end, better marketing, better design and more polish finally changed my position from "no way I'm going to buy THIS" to "it looks somewhat attractive, I'll consider buying it when I'll have some more money" in June, 2007 and finally buying it in July, 2007. The title screen with a game box image helped too. So, these specific changes worked on making me as a desperate Fallout fan buy the game.

Then there was further rebalancing which finally made the Gamma Base passable on average Iron Man playthrough and the game became really fun to play as it was possible to start the game, get through the Base Gamma reasonably quickly and get to the fun part of the game. And then a bit over a month later, you have closed the shop.

So, basically, you had a product that targeted the Fallout fan niche only since 2006 but you made it unsellable and you had the product that would be somewhat attractive for the Fallout audience only for several (or maybe a few?) months in 2007 and only for one month it was actually balanced like Fallout. Basically it needed a bit more polish (the interface!) and doing something with the Gamma Base (as it still would be a major put-off to Fallout fans because of its length and lack of the things that made exploring underground bases fun in Fallout) and time for people to learn about its improvements, existence and to decide to buy it and gather funds for buying it.

The last release was seriously bizarre and looked like it was released without testing or much thought. The interface was uglified with a ginormous HP display and there were ugly numbers flying when someone got hit which couldn't be turned off and was working very slowly on all computers and operating systems that I've tried running it on (a 2003 computer with Win98, a 2007 computer with WinXP and another 2003 computer with Linux).
Which is a shame as the Fallout-style wireframe targeting was a great addition.

Davaris said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

I have often thought about making a game that people can alter online, the authors get credit and people can vote on what they think are the best changes. It would be an interesting experiment to see if the Internet, is smarter than the better game designers out there. Pity I don't have the technical skills to try something like that.
I think the only way to make something like this is making a project open source. Still it limits the possible designers to programmers. The main part that wannabe designers would be useful for would be proposing and testing various changes, preferably within a closed circle. Even something as banal as a wannabe designer sketching an interface and writing down hot-keys and posting such a proposition on a private designer forum and then wannabe designers perfecting it together would be a huge help and would allow improving the user experience a lot.

Davaris said:

I get the SciFi channel here in Australia and right now they are playing Dr Who the Tom Baker years. IMO it is the best Dr Who made and the fans agree, because it is the most requested show SciFi have ever had.

The parts of Dr Who the Tom Baker years, that are most interesting for me, are when he goes to other planets, an original world is created and there are two or three competing factions, with detailed histories and a unique look.

The less interesting shows, are when they return to Earth, be it in the past or the present.

So that is what I mean when I say the genre doesn't work well. Someone suggested it might work better as an FPS. They were probably right.
I remember Roswell-based serials being quite popular.

Anyway, how did you get to make Omega Syndrome? I'm very curious about it as a CS student. It's still the only Fallout-like that I've seen released. What would be your advices to people who want to get into developing such games? I don't mean necessarily selling them, but at least releasing them as it's the part where most of projects seem to fail.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Pity that the engine is junked, if you could've polished up it a bit and made it a bit more casual-friendly, you could release it on Steam for a few bucks. These past couple of years seem to have been good years for indie devs in terms of publicity.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
If you're not going to do anything with it why not release it as freeware? It's not as if it is still going to earn you any money and this way it might still reach a wider audience.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Or at least start selling the 3.32 version for 5$ or something like that. It would be a shame if the only Falloutlike ever released would end up lost for humanity.

almondblight

Arcane
Or $10 - 15 on Steam, should be able to make at least few thousand sales that way. I bet a bunch of people would pick it up just based on the box art itself (since Steam has a lot of impulse buys).

It seems like a big part of the reason why this game didn't sell is because it just wasn't widely known. I remember hearing about it somewhere, looking at a couple screenshots, and then forgetting about them. I didn't have any idea that it had any of the cool features talked about in this thread, or that it was more than a few hours in length. I didn't see any mention of it at Rock, Paper, Shotgun, or any reviews of the game at the Codex or RPGWatch.

I only really have seen this game talked about in a few RPG forums, and the talk seems to be divided between people talking about how the game was pretty cool, people who want to buy the game but can't figure out where, and people that got bored with the starting dungeon and gave up on the game.

I'm pretty sure if you got a few testers and polished some of the rough edges, made a more interesting demo (the demo doesn't have to be the beginning part, and shouldn't be if that's the least interesting part of your game), re-released with some exposure (sending copies to game sites to have them review them, make sure updates/etc. are in the news), and put it up on steam, you'd end up doing much better than before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom