Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Older Divinity games. Are they good?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Divine Divinity is a good game except for the endgame (like Scrooge said), which is boring and repetitive : no quests and a bunch of monsters to kill in a boring dungeon

IIRC, Swen said in Matt Chat that DivDiv's uninteresting endgame was the result of publisher CDV's whim. They insisted him to include orange-colored environment at the later stage of development.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"IIRC, Swen said in Matt Chat that DivDiv's uninteresting endgame was the result of publisher CDV's whim. They insisted him to include orange-colored environment at the later stage of development."

What a cowardly liar. Just own your fukkin' shit.

jdinatale

Cipher
"IIRC, Swen said in Matt Chat that DivDiv's uninteresting endgame was the result of publisher CDV's whim. They insisted him to include orange-colored environment at the later stage of development."

The fuck you just say about Swen? Say that to his mug and not the wiggy wire and see what happens, he'll hook you right in the gabber m8, I swear on me mum's life.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I think Volo should win dumbfuck of the Year™ award...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The fuck you just say about Swen? Say that to his mug and not the wiggy wire and see what happens, he'll hook you right in the gabber m8, I swear on me mum's life."

Truth hurts more than a punch.

"I think Volo should win dumbfuck of the Year™ award..."

I win it every year just by thinking your posts *mighT* contain somehing worth reading. :)

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
What an...oddly specific demand.

I recall I read it was because of screenshots. CDV asked for screenshots and they got all green ones. Marketing did not like that and wanted more colors. They got an orange on from desert - and suddenly they had committed to do a desert area - but they never got time to do it so it was rushed. Fucking publishers - at least they could avoid publishers this time around.

A600

Educated
IIRC, Swen said in Matt Chat that DivDiv's uninteresting endgame was the result of publisher CDV's whim. They insisted him to include orange-colored environment at the later stage of development.

From the Developer's Journal (a must read) included with the Divinity Anthology:

The feature list cited here comes from an internal document that gave
a development status to the publisher’s producer. In hindsight, reading
through it showed that at that moment in time, it should have already
been clear that the last part of the game world, the Wastelands (or map4
as the team called it), should have been removed: for lack of time, it was
never going to receive the love and attention the first part received.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

DivDiv was interesting...it rose above the Diablo clone I was expecting. DKS was somewhat disappointing - mostly due to the constant filler combat and linear plot. I couldn't finish it. D:OS is pretty great combat-wise though, so I'm thinking they should stick to turn-based as they are clearly awesome at it and forget about that real-time nonsense.

Marketing

OkzFEw5.gif

Suddenly all is clear.

What just happened with Titan quest?

You thought the above was retarded? You don't know retarded, son

Exar Kun

Scholar
I'm in the middle of playing Divine Divinity for the first time and its very fun. The first area was really challenging though and I had to start a new game to get through it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Divine Divinity was a nice action rpg with a lot of detailed world building that for the most part was a fun experience, the sequel was all kinds of horrible and is not even worth mentioning.

The dragon knight saga has some innovative mechanics, like the huge maps, the ability to turn into a dragon and reading the minds of npc's, but i found it to be a chore to go through the massive amount of content due to the floaty combat, the writing and general tone of the game and characters and those awful voice overs.

Dragon Knight Saga is great, played 3 times. Will probably play again. Haven't played first Divinity yet, I imagine DOS is gonna take up so much of my time I may never get around to it.

:Flash:

Arcane
The funniest bit about this is that in the demo the Death Knight had another voice, and people bitched about it so much in the forums that Swen actually scraped together the last money he had and paid to redo the entire voice acting of the Death Knight.
The result is in the final game.:greatjob:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dragon Knight Saga is great, played 3 times. Will probably play again. Haven't played first Divinity yet, I imagine DOS is gonna take up so much of my time I may never get around to it.
You have shit taste in games, though. How anyone could tolerate that shit combat is beyond me. Gamebryo is a fucking horribly engine for action games.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You have shit taste in games, though. How anyone could tolerate that shit combat is beyond me. Gamebryo is a fucking horribly engine for action games.
Comat is fine. Fast paced and with responsive control.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom