Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Older Divinity games. Are they good?

Elfberserker

Liturgist
So I have been playing bit of Divinity: orginal Sin as well As the dragon commander and I have discovered that I like them very much.

I like it them, so much that I got interested in Divinity divine and other older games, but I have to ask you gentlemen that are they worth of
:takemymoney:

Or are they
:keepmymoney:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Divine Divinty and Dragon Knight Saga (Div II + expansion) are extremely addicting and cool games. DivDiv unfortunately suffers from a downright terrible endgame (which was rushed cuz lol publishers).

Beyond Divinity I haven't played but it's supposedly shit.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What Roxor said. They aren't really on the same level as D:OS though; it's head and shoulders above their previous games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DivDiv is worth playing. Beyond Div is pretty mediocre. Divinity 2 has a terrible engine and bad combat. But like Bee says none of them approach Div OS.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Divine Divinity is a diablo clone with actual story, quests, and dialogue. It's also highly abusable and features one of the weirdest camera angles ever. For me it's a mediocre game, the diablo-like combat isn't that satisfying and there's a whole lot of it.

Divinity 2 is a peculiar game. It's on gamebryo (very power-hungry but NOT as shit as bethpizda's games), the combat is rather meh gameplay-wise though it's an TPP action RPG, yet I somehow enjoyed it immensely.

Larian games define good for what it is
also this.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
Divine Divinity is a diablo clone with actual story, quests, and dialogue. It's also highly abusable and features one of the weirdest camera angles ever. For me it's a mediocre game, the diablo-like combat isn't that satisfying and there's a whole lot of it.

Divinity 2 is a peculiar game. It's on gamebryo (very power-hungry but NOT as shit as bethpizda's games), the combat is rather meh gameplay-wise though it's an TPP action RPG, yet I somehow enjoyed it immensely.

Larian games define good for what it is
also this.

I wouldn't call Divine Divinity a Diablo clone. There is real time combat but the combat is not in much focus. There is dialogue, open world non-linear game play. I recognize some of the puzzle in D:OS from Divine Divinity. I enjoyed DD very much - but compared to D:OS it is subpar.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Divinity and Beyond are games that I enjoyed. Divinity 2 is a game I hate and as for Dragon Commander I wouldn't even touch it.

bat_boro

Arcane
I'm currently playing DivDiv because I want to have some background on the universe before playing DOS, but guys, can you tell me something about good mage's build? I mean, I put all my skill points in intelligence when I level up with 1 point going to constitution. Is that wise? Or does that even matter in the end?

flabbyjack

Arcane
I have always been a firm believer in Beyond Divinity, the second game in the series. cRPG purists like to look down on the game, though. Typical codex knee-jerk reaction.

If you can get past the problems in Dragon Age 2, Beyond Divinity is probably right for you. There's a demo, but you'll have to find a better link (The one at Larian.com is dead)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
While the combat in DivDiv is Diablo-clone the game itself is more of a 'spiritual successor' to the Ultima series (which itself had shitty combat towards the end).

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Devine Divinity is an OK game, when played today. If you are hardcore, it probably qualifies as gud.

It has real time combat though. I remember running through one of the first dungeons using my bow as some sort of machine gun. That bow was totally overpowahred. It was cool. I also liked the diverse loot with all kinds of stats and stuff.

Also it has the same off beat / quirky sense of humor which seems to permeate all larian games. Im totally cool with that but it may be an acquired taste.

I remember one of their first games, LED Wars, an RTS which i reviewed for a Dutch games magazine. The review included an interview with Sven V. (unfortunately i cannot find this article anymore, it must be on one of my old computers though). I found the game to be above average. But RTS was serious bizz back then, and Larians humor and gameplay quirks were not appreciated by most. (iirc it had "cards" which could turn the battle in seconds, of course serious RTS generals were not pleased)

Kz3r0

Arcane
So I have been playing bit of Divinity: orginal Sin as well As the dragon commander and I have discovered that I like them very much.

I like it them, so much that I got interested in Divinity divine and other older games, but I have to ask you gentlemen that are they worth of
:takemymoney:

Or are they
:keepmymoney:
Don't bother Beyond Divinity is shit and Divine Divinity is mediocre, replay Divinity:Original Sin and leave Divine Divinity for a rainy day.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
DivDiv is pretty good, as it was mentioned here the endgame is tedious. Also the early game is kinda retarded, you get thrown into a huge and pretty hard dungeon, which can be a bit frustrating at times.

But after you managed to escape it, you have dozens of hours in a pretty cool open world that rewards exploration lying before you.

Divinity 2 plays a bit like an MMO but I liked it still. DivDiv is definitely better though.

Divinity: Original Sin
I wouldn't call Divine Divinity a Diablo clone.

But it starts as a diablo clone, and ends as a diablo clone. Combat and loot system are very diablo inspired, and also map with fog of war, but you can have multiple saves and you can quicksave. But it is also an ultima clone, it has lot's of interactivity (books, chairs, beds, random items), though you can't actually craft things except some alchemy formulas.

Quests are varied... I don't remember to many fetch quests, but there are a lot of investigative ones, and they this is where it diferetiates from a diablo clone: a lot of these quests don't have a combat focus. Writing is on the same level of larian games, funny and functional. World is huge, game is long, and there's a lot of variety of backgrounds, and they sure are beatiful. The end really is the weakest part, but by the time you reached it (if you manage), you probably finish it: It's just a big dungeon, and probably it becomes a diablo clone again.

Beyond Divinity is inferior, and I continued a playthrough from Act II, where I stoped playing, after the hype of D:OS, and I actually had some fun with it. It feels very brownish which was off putting in the beginning, but I managed to enjoy it eventually. The worst thing is the battlefields, a side world you can/have to enter that has a camp with NPCs that gives you random quests, and you must raid dungeons in successive levels. It's not required to complete, but it's a place to level up characters, it ends up being quite necessary. Being an OCD player, I hated and liked the battlefields part. has very little connection with DivDiv, since you're not in rivellon. But I loved playing through act 3. And the banter between the main character and his deathknight companion. The skill system is broken though, with some useless skills, like lockpicking, that is not really implemeted and you waste your points in it.

Div 2 I played first map to completion till you get the "dragon form". Same level of writing (fun), but the engine is the terrible part. The fact that the game doesn't feel like a divinity game is it's worst sin for me: while the first two games have elves, dwarves, imps, lizards, the second one has only humans in the world and it's hardly mentioned what happened with everyone else. I'll eventually continue my playthrough, after finishing DOS and BD. I heard that the expansion is a lot better, but I haven't reached it yet.

Music is great in all of the games, after all it's kiril. And even these games have all these flaws, you can detect the love sven and co. put in his games. I bet that they wanted Div Div to have the same level of polish D:OS have, and the freedom to make that game. And they are bro enough to go back and update these old games to run on new coputers with widescreen monitor support and such. And with beyond divinity, feeling a lot like a spinoff game, you can see they wanted to have a two disagreeing party members system, that are one of the main features of DOS. I believe they intended to do the two player system in BD in the way they finally did in DOS. DD and BD are games that would be perfect if larian had the liberties the had in DOS.

Oh, the graphic whoreism: DD is incrdibly beatiful. Great 2D graphics, very colorful, great world design, variety. BD is the same engine and graphics, only the charaters are now 3D models ugly as hell. The deathknight looks like it's wearing bell botton pants. They should stick with 2d sprites.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They're all bad with junk systems and junk content. Div 2 occasionally has funny writing.

beyonddiv.jpg

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Just how bad are the voices?
Will I end up throwing my speakers against windows, if I listen them?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Divine Divinity takes about a dozen hours to really get started and the last area + dungeon is total garbage. That said, it's a pretty good and memorable game even if nothing about it is spectacular in any way. Voice acting is so-bad-it's-good, as opposed to Beyond Divinity where it's just plain awful.

kris

Arcane
I have always been a firm believer in Beyond Divinity, the second game in the series. cRPG purists like to look down on the game, though. Typical codex knee-jerk reaction.

If you can get past the problems in Dragon Age 2, Beyond Divinity is probably right for you
. There's a demo, but you'll have to find a better link (The one at Larian.com is dead)

:D

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Great games, Divine Divinity is one of the best RPGs ive played. Dont buy it i you dont like fighting though. Its a hack and slash, but with actual RPG stuf in there too.

Divinity 2 at first i didnt like, but then i got addicted to it. Its a gem.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Divine Divinity is great and a must play. It features one of my favorite gaming moments, you come to a big city and a dirty kid comes to you asking to spare some money for its sick mother, if you give gold to the kid he screams something like "Hey everyone, this guy is a moron and hes giving free money." Rest of the time you spend in the city you have bunch of kids following you and begging for gold.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just wait for the remakes in D:OS engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom