Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old school Isometric RPG hardship

Deleted Member 16721

Movement between inside and outside doesn't ruin combat, IMO. It just means a house or building is not a combat area, unless you are inside the house, such as the Baldur's Gate series.

I think Baldur's Gate is a good example of how to do interiors.

Deleted Member 16721

Aka it restricts where you can initiate combat, thus restricting gameplay opportunities.

Conversely, you can do like Baldur's Gate and add a ton of unique encounters and gameplay opportunities inside the buildings. I don't think that would have been possible without loading screens as the city of Baldur's Gate is huge.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Conversely, you can do like Baldur's Gate and add a ton of unique encounters and gameplay opportunities inside the buildings. I don't think that would have been possible without loading screens as the city of Baldur's Gate is huge.

It was the way they did maps as well. They painted the maps which created huuuuge files.

I didn't mind the interior of buildings being separate zones in Baldur's Gate. When I entered a building it made me feel like I was in a different world, where outside sounds if you could hear them at all were muffled. I was disappointed in BG generally, but that was a memorable effect. Of course it worked in BG, because their artists were so damned good.

Deleted Member 16721

The maps of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are still gorgeous. While modern isometric RPGs look cool, they still pale in comparison, IMO.

Mustawd

It was the way they did maps as well. They painted the maps which created huuuuge files.

I didn't mind the interior of buildings being separate zones in Baldur's Gate. When I entered a building it made me feel like I was in a different world, where outside sounds if you could hear them at all were muffled. I was disappointed in BG generally, but that was a memorable effect. Of course it worked in BG, because their artists were so damned good.

I dunno which idiot I'm ignoring you're talking to (I assume it's a fucking retard), but BG is p. subpar looking back now. But I agree, at the time it was awesome. I've said that the IE games, especially BG series, were the best produced RPGs ever.

Playing around with multi-tiles I am now facing two tough questions. Interiors, do I show them as a separate screen or as a new screen?
And how to manage multiple tiles to create larger structures, cliffs, houses, etc.
http://imgur.com/a/97lV4 (link, still don't know how to insert pictures).

As you can see this is quite tricky so I am introducing a prefab builder where chunks can be assembled and placed down as a single unit.

Interiors should be part of the map like they were in Fallout. There should be continuity of movement between inside and outside, otherwise you ruin combat. Houses should not be big objects, but made of multiple tiles (walls, floors, etc)

Multi-tile-single-bitmap objects, as I said before, are a sorting algorithm issue. As it's not vital to gameplay, and some projects seem to avoid them entirely, you may want to avoid them for now.

I would also suggest not bothering with true multiple floors.

I haven't had this issue unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you mean...

http://imgur.com/a/YI6wW

Though I do think I need a mix of generic tiles and custom to avoid too much blandness or D&D random generated dungeon feel.

Mustawd

Just a random thought as I was watching a Matt Chat video....grass, nay, terrain tiles are some of the hardest things to get right. Because if done wrong, you tend to get a really shitty tiling effect. This goes for any tiled game, whether or not it's isometric.

For example, something like this is not seamless because the tiles are very obvious:

p6_explore.png

Sv2dJ.png

So what's the solution? Well, basically there's two. One gives you a more uniform look and takes a bit more effort to do. The other , IMO, gives you a less consistent look but can be just as seamless as the first with a bit less effort.

1. Seamless tiles. These are tiles that when put together do not give a grid like effect unless you look extremely close. This is done by the fact that the different parts of the tile complete each other. What I mean is that the upper left hand of the tile might complete the bottom right hand of the tile, etc. So when you put them together it all fits together seamlessly. It definitely takes more effort, but like I said the tiling effect is minimized if not completely gone.

ExteriorTest-760306.jpg

2. Multiple tiles for one texture. This is basically the creation of multiple tiles for one texture. The multiple textures help break up the tiled look, and can even appear a bit more realistic than the seamless tiled look. That's because real life grass or any other texture tends to have patches, discoloration and other variety to it. A lot of tiled games used this approach for some of its textures. For practical purposes you mainly do this for areas that will be used in the game a lot.

Fallout 1 (see the sand area.)

Fallout-2-Gameplay-1.png

HoMM3 (the grass in the world map is something like 10+ different grass textures).

H3HD_Protect_your_castle.jpg

And here's a more practical illustration. Forgive the crappy grid as I used MS Paint at work. But basically the grass is made up of half a dozen or so tiles. I've outlined two different sets in red and blue. However, also keep in mind that it also uses seamless tiles for the dirt areas. It's just one tile repeated over and over again.

isometric.png

Even that MMO you linked to also uses this approach. Also, if you look closely at the grass you'll find something interesting: It's basically using a photograph of grass as the texture. There's no post-production, it's not rendered in 3D, and it's not drawn/painted in 2D. They basically just took a picture of grass, cut it up, resized it to look appropriate, and made tiles. But it works because of the particular texture and color, etc. So they probably used something like this. Pretty cool huh?

03_rural_life.jpg

Just a random thought as I was watching a Matt Chat video....grass, nay, terrain tiles are some of the hardest things to get right. Because if done wrong, you tend to get a really shitty tiling effect. This goes for any tiled game, whether or not it's isometric.

For example, something like this is not seamless because the tiles are very obvious:

p6_explore.png

Sv2dJ.png

So what's the solution? Well, basically there's two. One gives you a more uniform look and takes a bit more effort to do. The other , IMO, gives you a less consistent look but can be just as seamless as the first with a bit less effort.

1. Seamless tiles. These are tiles that when put together do not give a grid like effect unless you look extremely close. This is done by the fact that the different parts of the tile complete each other. What I mean is that the upper left hand of the tile might complete the bottom right hand of the tile, etc. So when you put them together it all fits together seamlessly. It definitely takes more effort, but like I said the tiling effect is minimized if not completely gone.

ExteriorTest-760306.jpg

2. Multiple tiles for one texture. This is basically the creation of multiple tiles for one texture. The multiple textures help break up the tiled look, and can even appear a bit more realistic than the seamless tiled look. That's because real life grass or any other texture tends to have patches, discoloration and other variety to it. A lot of tiled games used this approach for some of its textures. For practical purposes you mainly do this for areas that will be used in the game a lot.

Fallout 1 (see the sand area.)

Fallout-2-Gameplay-1.png

HoMM3 (the grass in the world map is something like 10+ different grass textures).

H3HD_Protect_your_castle.jpg

And here's a more practical illustration. Forgive the crappy grid as I used MS Paint at work. But basically the grass is made up of half a dozen or so tiles. I've outlined two different sets in red and blue. However, also keep in mind that it also uses seamless tiles for the dirt areas. It's just one tile repeated over and over again.

isometric.png

Even that MMO you linked to also uses this approach. Also, if you look closely at the grass you'll find something interesting: It's basically using a photograph of grass as the texture. There's no post-production, it's not rendered in 3D, and it's not drawn/painted in 2D. They basically just took a picture of grass, cut it up, resized it to look appropriate, and made tiles. But it works because of the particular texture and color, etc. So they probably used something like this. Pretty cool huh?

03_rural_life.jpg

Some good information there. So first go from the aritst looks like this:

IDK how the hell I am supposed to insert images but here it is.
http://imgur.com/a/Hcxk4

So it looks like he made some school boy errors - probably my fault, I didn't explain enough. Artists tend to do this a lot with isometric tiles.

The main problems are that the tiling isn't laid out properly (or created in modular fashion) and the grass isn't seemless. So I think he gets whats wrong now and will try again.

I am happy with the art style however.

Further feedback/criticism taken on board.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
2. Multiple tiles for one texture

In this approach the tiles are still seamless, arent's they? The difference is that such tiles need to seamlessly blend not only with themselves, but with all the variants.

Here's a good article discussing a certain solution to this problem.

Mustawd

In this approach the tiles are still seamless, arent's they?

Hmm, you might be right. Not sure about the Furcadia example I gave, but HoMM3 had something like 16 tiles for grass on the map. That's a good link, thanks.

caverns_of_eden_heroes3_2.jpg

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
While isometric looks great, I can see why the industry went full 3D. It's so easy and convenient! Isometric assets production pipeline is hell. From coding perspective it's alright, just a little tricky to handle the right drawing order, but no biggie. You'll have to use your high school math to rotate projectiles correctly, and you'll also need to make a decision about the 2:1 ratio because players don't understand why they move faster horizontally than vertically, no matter how many times you explain it. But yeah, assets are a pain, probably involving both 3D work and 2D work, because pixel art is terribly expensive. I recommend not wasting one minute and using placeholders/free art during development, you can later on see how promising is the project and if it's worth spending your savings on making it look better. Maybe you can attract artists during development if you're creating something worthwile.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
While isometric looks great, I can see why the industry went full 3D. It's so easy and convenient! Isometric assets production pipeline is hell. From coding perspective it's alright, just a little tricky to handle the right drawing order, but no biggie. You'll have to use your high school math to rotate projectiles correctly, and you'll also need to make a decision about the 2:1 ratio because players don't understand why they move faster horizontally than vertically, no matter how many times you explain it. But yeah, assets are a pain, probably involving both 3D work and 2D work, because pixel art is terribly expensive.

3D engines were hella expensive in the early days and there were engine makers failing, more so now than ever. I couldn't understand at the time why the entire industry just had to go 3D, as the 3D games looked ugly, the number of artists working on games went exponential and yet the games compared to the 1990s were dumbed down. So I didn't believe them then and I still don't believe them now.

BTW If you look at the recent news thread on Leonard Boyasksi, he said the team working on Arcanum was tiny. And looks to me that it was using a 3D engine that killed Troika off.

I recommend not wasting one minute and using placeholders/free art during development, you can later on see how promising is the project and if it's worth spending your savings on making it look better.

Agree. And if I was going to spend money on art, I would find games I really liked the look of and track down the artist responsible. I wouldn't waste a cent on a $5 an hour artist.

Maybe you can attract artists during development if you're creating something worthwile.

In the past I found writers and programmers will join teams and work for a share (not that they did any work anyway), but I almost never encountered any artists that would. And notice there are next to no artists showing their work here.

Last edited:
No, artists are a pain to deal with. By nature they are self absorbed and impractical and would never be interested in making some kind of "game" without filthy lucre in exchange so that they can fund their true "art".

Its ok though, I will just pay them until I run out of money or I have a working tileset.

Wow thanks that is a useful resource :) Is it legit?

My tileset is going very slowly. I have 10 tiles. My last artist just couldn't grasp the concept and nothing fit together so I am trying another artist. Meh, lots of experimenting I guess.

Mustawd

Well, these are directly ripped from Diablo 2, so it's not good as a resource for a commercial game. Merely hobby projects and research.

To be fair, the amount of tiles in that game is just huge. Not sure if it's feasible to recreate that on a budget.

Nah its insanely large and detailed. I am stunned by the detail and variations. I can never match this nor am I trying to.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
My tileset is going very slowly. I have 10 tiles. My last artist just couldn't grasp the concept and nothing fit together so I am trying another artist.
lol, hire me when you run out of other artists

set I did in 2 evenings
2F0r1u3.png

it's about 80 tiles (not all included in picture), except plants that were downloaded from web for quick testing purpose
hand painted test (from what I see max 1h/tile)
5KONS2I.png

more testing
Koh44rQ.png

some more prerendered pictures
http://imgur.com/a/ub3Hl
oCgLUxj.png

Fallout assets
http://imgur.com/a/2Uq5D
kGHRNmJ.png

large handpainted stuff:
1Eb0veX.jpg

I did a lot of those, but my old laptop is broken beyond repair and I'm too dumb to upload shit regulary.

new one:
D0wHGpj.png

crappy trees
LA8V1Yp.png

I'm going to try to make entire tileset now.
:negative:
To be fair, the amount of tiles in that game is just huge. Not sure if it's feasible to recreate that on a budget.
You can use layers of tiles and instead 100 tiles you can render 20 basic grass tiles and 20 additional elements. On the other hand small elements looks better when they are part of tile so probably not the best solution for realistic tilesets with smooth shadows. If you want to use png files with alpha channel it might look nice. The same with walls, you can make basic set and then decals with scratches, stains, cracks like wallpapers and goo in Fallout.

Dyspaire

Cipher
This is my new favorite thread on the Codex.

Godspeed. Sincerely.

I know nothing about 2d isometric engines, but I'm glad to see the Diablo 2 engine mentioned here.

That 5-year golden age for 2d isometrics, from say '97 to '02, of all the engines that were used, Diablo 2 ended up aging the best, in my opinion.

Even better than the IE games. There are hi-res patches for nearly all those classic games, and Diablo 2 cranked up to a modern resolution is just stunning.

http://imgur.com/a/cPCsX

Repeating I know nothing about 2d engines, I'm assuming the approach used by Blizzard here is far harder to reproduce than even the IE games?

It's the animations. Everything seems animated, and there are so many frames to each one. It's like comparing the Fleischer cartoons to Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Both great, but the animation in the Fleischer cartoons is something else.

Must be so hard to do. IE has been hacked to pieces, and nobody has ever made much of the engine from Diablo 2, to my knowledge.

Good luck to all involved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom