Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Okay bitches, it's Starcraft time

Suicidal

Arcane
Do you guys still play this? If so, can I join the fun? I'm sure you'd love to have 1 more noob to rape :D

D

Scholar
@KC
Initial heavy zergling raids on the enemies' probes should let you be able to stop a portion of the protoss' base expansion for a bit. With zerg, you can pull a 3-hatch ling on the protoss' resource line. This is more or less reliable, because if the toss try to cannon you can just run around them and if they try to mass zealots you can just suicide at the probes. Every probe killed is a bit of a hit on the toss economy at the start of the game, when they're trying to either tech to dragoons or whore zealots.

Against carriers, I've heard that dark swarm combined with hydras, scourges and devourers isn't too bad. I dunno, though, since I don't play zerg often.

Anyways..

Anyone got much experience playing T? I find that, while I do adequately in small (4 player or less, 96x96 or less) maps, I get fagged to death quickly on bigger maps like BGH.

Basically, right now I typically start by building 8 SCVs, then barracks, then supply depo x2, then bunker, then barracks again- this is to stop the insanely early 8 zergling / 4 zealot rushes the AI seems to send my 90% of the time I play a Vs Comp game, and its' started to become standard for all my games at this point.

Typically I'm using marine/seige/gol push combined with seige drops behind resource lines - though the latter is dropped sometimes considering less tarded players build antiair around their lines.

Anyways, the problem is that after a certain point (about a couple minutes into the game, by the time I've gotten a couple of seige tanks), I tend to hit a brick wall when it comes to offensive - while I'm able to micro my marines' health and stimpacks as well as my tanks' range and (once I get them) sci vessels' rad and defmatrix, I run into problems dealing with zergling nub floods and dragoon rushes. Typically I end up using up a decent portion of my units simply getting rid of the enemies' standing forces, after which I'm hit by their rebuilding units - which tend to amount to billions of zealots and/or lurkers.

My other problem is that I can't figure out a good 'fast game' for terrans - starting, un-medic'd/un-shelled/un-stimmed marines are worthless against zerglings and zealots alike, meaning that if I don't quickly build a bunker against rushers (both AI and player), I get screwed over royally before I've even got my second barracks up.

Any pointers for either of these?

Atrokkus

Erudite
My other problem is that I can't figure out a good 'fast game' for terrans - starting, un-medic'd/un-shelled/un-stimmed marines are worthless against zerglings and zealots alike, meaning that if I don't quickly build a bunker against rushers (both AI and player), I get screwed over royally before I've even got my second barracks up.
Double barracks is a must against Zerg, and you have to put it up very quick. And marines aloen will easilly fend off the initial zergling rush (unless it's a REAL small map but such are not played on pro-level so dont bother), especially if there are narrow entry-ways to the base or ramps. Micro is required of course, dont let zerglings surround your marine pack (unless you have medics).

Against toss marines are good only in small quantities and in the very beginning ONLY, stop building them after you've reached the count of 5-6 if it's a map where you cant block the passage with barracks/supplies, and even less (about 2) if you can block. Fast mech is the key (double factory, immediate shops and vulture upgrades).

D

Scholar
Well, the problem with early terran game isn't that I'm using marines rather than the infinitely more effective (for zealots, anyway) firebats; rather, its' more to do with the way that the only units i'm actually able to produce are marines and SCVs, as even speed-teching to academy/fire is too slow to counter a zergling or zealot fast play.

Against the protoss my MM squad to backup the seige push is generally a 50/50 division of marines and firebats with two medics - is this any good? Against terrans I use full marines / 2 medics and against zerg its' more like 50/50 again.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Against the protoss my MM squad to backup the seige push is generally a 50/50 division of marines and firebats with two medics - is this any good? Against terrans I use full marines / 2 medics and against zerg its' more like 50/50 again.
M&M only against zerg, unless you are really sure of what you are doing and adapt to toss play (say if he's doing too many zealots)
Against toss it's pretty useless to go infantry, and against terran it's outright stupid.

against terran and toss it's usually a fast factory with vultures tanks and gols (the ratio is varying greately depending on the circumstances).
Once you get hold of vultures with mines and speed, zealots are not a problem and you can also deal with dragoonns quite well. Lots of tanks and then goliaths for ground support and anti-air (if he goes carriers) -- that's the heart of your force.

but against zerg it's mostly M&M in VERY large quantities and science vessels and tanks.

What unites the matchups is the extensive use of dropships -- it doesnt matter if youre using M&Ms or mech stuff, you have to do drops.
M&M drops against zerg are quite good most of the time, especially if the exp is weakly defended.

D

Scholar
I've taken to using MM as slang for any marine/medic squad, not just rush-style piles of them - what I really meant is the marine squad that I'll generally bring along with the tanks and goliaths to draw enemy fire and make sure the tanks aren't melee'd to death by flanking. Generally I only bring a single squad for non-zerg fighting, as the seige tanks and goliaths tend to outlast them anyway.
Clit Tits Toon Tied-up Public Big-Tits Shower Bounce Fat-Ass Group-Sex 10+-Inch-Cock Black-Teen Short-Hair Japanese Dorm Tennis Outdoor Cum-Facial Voyeur Toys Leather Office 4some Pussy Close-up Police Ebony Adorable Public Gorgeous Watersport Bikini Nurse Fisting Lick Foreplay Big-Black-Cock Ethnic Midget Fantasy

deweydefeatskboc6.jpg

KreideBein

Scholar
Oh, fuck you.

EDIT: For the record, the only reason that CJ beat me is because comrade took out most of my army in an attack, and then CJ moved in and took us both out.

KreideBein said:
Oh, fuck you.

EDIT: For the record, the only reason that CJ beat me is because comrade took out most of my army in an attack, and then CJ moved in and took us both out.

Christ, look at the excuses fly. It's always someone else's fault, always because of this, or always because of that.

YOU LOST.

AGAINST ME.

That's two victories in one night.

I'M ON A FUCKING ROLL.

Come on, KB. What are the excuses now?

The only reason why CJ beat me...

BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT.

denizsi

Arcane
I haven't looked into that plugin thingy, but can I make text or sound notifications to be made upon certain conditions, like whenever my mineral stocks exceed 200 and 400, or amount of SCVs or any unit exceed any set amount?

VladimirK

Learned
denizsi said:
I haven't looked into that plugin thingy, but can I make text or sound notifications to be made upon certain conditions, like whenever my mineral stocks exceed 200 and 400, or amount of SCVs or any unit exceed any set amount?

I don't think PenguinPLug has that sort of functionality. You need BWCoach. Might need to downgrade your SC, though, as the latest version it supports seems to be 1.12.

(Or just grab a set of old SC exes here: http://www.bwprogrammers.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1).

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Where are all of you faggots? Pooper and I demand opponents to spill the virtual blood of.

EDIT: Some codex gaming planning will be taking place in #RPGCodex now. It's a bit quieter there, so go ahead and join that channel as well if you haven't already.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd like to play, but I first need to play through the human and protoss campaigns to not shame myself too much in multiplayer.

Also, could someone explain to me what's up with all those loaders and patchers mentioned on the first page? What kind of stuff (pathcer? loader?) am I supposed to install there and why?

Also, apparently a new BW patch (1.15) was released this month? Blizzard is still patching Starcraft? Scary.

denizsi

Arcane
Forget about the campaigns, just drop youself into the mp. Lessons are learned better the hard way :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Meh, I never managed to finish Starcraft. I got all the way to the late Protoss missions, and then... something happened.
This time I'll pull through.

KreideBein

Scholar
Claw said:
Meh, I never managed to finish Starcraft. I got all the way to the late Protoss missions, and then... something happened.
This time I'll pull through.

Don't worry about just jumping into the fray without having completed the campaign. Many of the players on the 'Codex are truly horrible, so it's not like you'll be at a severe disadvantage.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
The campaign is a poor teacher and you pick up bad habits like turtling up, not expanding and not executing early game rushes like you have to in multiplayer. Plus you can take your namby, pamby time in the campaign. After killing enough units the mission turns into a game of mop-up as you slowly scour the playing field looking to destroy each and every building in order to complete the mission.

I miss playing SC now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom