Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Okay bitches, it's Starcraft time

almantas

Novice
Ok, thought i'd share my SC expierence now.

To put it simply, im getting my ass kicked all over. I either:

1) Forget to go scouting with probe after i build my first pylon (happens very often.. grr!)
2) Don't build pylons in time. Then im sitting for a while building no units
3) Not being aggresive enough in begining. Watching my replays i often see that if i took offense i could have practically won the game.
4) My expansion timing isn't very good. I either do it too early or too late.
5) Not spending all resources. Usually im below 300 in both in minerals and gas but sometimes I just forget about using them up.
6) Being too slow with mouse. When i care to look my APM is ~80. Dropping reavers, harrasing, scouting and building more and more of stuff at same time can get problematic.
7) Quiting the game when someone drops troops at my probes, LOL.

There are more but these are main ones. One of the few positive things i found while watching through my replays, I never lost to a rush. Also, my APM is increasing, slowly but surely.

I'd join you but hamachi refuses to work on my computer. It gives me some "failed to connect to network adapter" error. It worked just fine when i installed it but since then i keep getting that error. Thing that bugs me the most tho, is that i can't even uninstall damned thing. It gives "Uninstall encountered a problem that prevents Hamachi from uninstalling. Program will now quit". :evil: I don't know a shit about computers but still, things like that shouldn't happen :evil:

P.s Now i have about 15wins/25loses. Not that bad for a newb like me when i think about it.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Kingcomrade,

Now listen here. I understand why you're complaining. On a non-professional / noob level protoss INDEED are usually superior. Why? Because Terrans require A LOT of micro, and ZErg require a lot of Macro skills. Protoss require an equal dose of both -- and that's making them both easier and harder. Easier because they dont require sky-high macro/micro on the noob level of play and harder because when you face good players you have to put A LOT of effort into BOTH macro (map control against good zerg and terran, fast high teching etc), and micro (dragoon rush/dance, psistorm during terran blockade breaking, combined spellcasting with a joint force of Dark archons, h.templars and arbiters). That is why on a professional or even semi-professional level of play Protoss is extremely hard with alll those quick terrans and overwhelming zergs out there. Believe me, I've played a good share of Battle.net duels, and lost A LOT of games while playin protoss.

So all in all, the balance is perfect, because it is measured in the professional circles, not in the friendly noob skirmishes over hamachi. So quit whining about imbalance and either switch to toss (and i can even switch to terran in this case), or brush up your zerg macro skills, as you do have some very notable mistakes in the early game.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Which mistakes?
Kraszu already told you -- your zergling/drone ratio is a bit off sometimes. Often you dont have enough larvae to morph into zerglings when the first zealot attacks your fast exp. But of course, you have a lot more errors than that, but that will only be clearly visible to you when you go out in the battle.net and do sme random matches there, and get your ass kicked by superior opponents. Or play with me and kraszu, though I am not skilled enough to pummel you into dust with no chance on your side in which case your flaws will becoem oh so painfully obvious to you.

Nothing is perfect.
There were no complaints from the progamers about *race* balance yet. Hence, you cannot say that it's imbalanced, as you are in no position to claim that, in no position to judge all by yourself (but you'd love to).
On the other hand, the MAP imbalance is clearly visible and complaints ARE heard from the progamers, hence it's a fact.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Now if you play the money maps... All those issues are washed away as the competition becomes fairly equal even against opponents who know what they're doing.

I can remember trying to play some Ladder games once upon a time. Met one guy who raped me with Mutalisks faster than I'd ever seen before. Played him a few more times then went back and hid in my money map hole and cried.

Fez

Erudite
If you are a casual player and you play against someone who has build orders memorised and the layout of the maps all burned into their brain then it's almost always insta-rape. I think it can get a bit tiresome if everyone has these perfect builds as ll set in stone, it can be more fun playing as a noob or putting in some sort of gentleman's agreement to make it more fun. I know in DoW it's not uncommon for the same things to happen.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
There were no complaints from the progamers about *race* balance yet. Hence, you cannot say that it's imbalanced, as you are in no position to claim that, in no position to judge all by yourself (but you'd love to).
Lol, they can suck my cock. I'll say what I like.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Lol, they can suck my cock. I'll say what I like.
Yeah, that's why they are rarely vocal about things you are so eager to whine and bitch about -- because saying what one likes is a noob's prerogative.

If you are a casual player and you play against someone who has build orders memorised and the layout of the maps all burned into their brain then it's almost always insta-rape. I think it can get a bit tiresome if everyone has these perfect builds as ll set in stone, it can be more fun playing as a noob or putting in some sort of gentleman's agreement to make it more fun.
There are no fixed build orders, really. There are fixed INITIAL build orders, sure, but you can't memorize the entire game and project it onto all the future games. Skill is a composite of reaction, experience, wit, reflex and, most of alll, concentration.

Kraszu

Prophet
As for corsairs and zvp what map? Ok anyway you start whit z fe or something like 11/12pool/fe now if protoss go for fast corsairs he can;t really attack zerg fast so he whore drones and build only necessary lings, getting economic advantage while p got technology advantage and can harass overlords, see what zerg is doing (normally zerg have that advantage whit overlords) and make expo (if zerg did not go for hydra rush) it even out. Making pressure whit zealots or fe are not worst options for P and that depends on map also + you should not always make same thing. Later zerg can make lurkers that are very strong vs zealots and P have to make observers that cost allot of gas and time to make. Without ht whit economic disadvantage that P have like always he would have no chance in middle game. corsairs + reavers are also valid but only on some maps it give zerg lots of time when he can expo without problems. High tech zerg units are good cost effective ultralisk + lings upgraded hydra if needed vs corsairs.

btw. you can morph muta in anty air form that rape corsairs, corsairs rape muta in big number vs big number but they can't do anything else while muta have land attack.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Zerg___Corroder.jpg

I showed this to Jas and he thought it was sexy. I think he was attracted to the giant, dripping, fanged phallus on the bottom.

Fez

Erudite
He likes the added element of rape that comes from the phallus beast.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Sovy Kurosei said:
Why is it that you almost always play as Zerg, KC?
I think the Protoss are cheesy and the Terrans are too easy to beat with Protoss (and most everyone plays Protoss). If you don't believe that the Protoss are cheesy, consider this: KreideBein started out playing Terran but now plays Protoss. KreideBein always gravitates towards the cheesiest thing in every game. Just run it through your mind a few times.

Surgey

Scholar
Protoss are probably easier for starting players. I'll stick with Terran, though, since I generally gravitate towards using what I like, instead of cheesy shit. But if I remember correctly, some of the best players are Terran.

Also, build more pylons.

On the other hand, the MAP imbalance is clearly visible and complaints ARE heard from the progamers, hence it's a fact.

Yeah, it's only imba if the pro's say so, I guess.

Surgey said:
But if I remember correctly, some of the best players are Terran.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind sentiments. It's always gratifying to be recognized as one who possesses great ability.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Protoss are easier for starting players, that's very true. And yes, they are generally better than other races if you play against players that have insufficient micro (terrans) or macro (zerg). But if the players are equal, protoss are IN NO WAY overpowered. Try playing protoss on the battle.net and you'll see how right I am.
In fact, toss are even somewhat underpowered on progamer arenas, but not that much (Bisu demonstrated that).

That's why I often switch to Terran when playing with codex people (except Kraszu because he's damn good and KC because I love to hear him whine about "toss supremacy").

But if I remember correctly, some of the best players are Terran.
Same could be said about all the races, really.
Bisu, nal_ra, Garimto are protoss, and those are Starcraft legends
But generally Zerg and Terrans are more numerous in progaming leagues (mostly because Protoss are harder to play on progaming level).

Atrokkus

Erudite
Micro is controlling your troops in combat -- it's both tactics (wit, methods of placing units in best possible formations to achieve better results, making ambushes, flanking etc) and reflex (selecting and ordering multiple units at once, controlling spellcasters and units with special abilities (like offensive vulture mines)).

Macro is basically long-term strategy, map control and unit selection. It defines the way you build your units, how fast and in what quantity; when you switch to other units, and what combinations of units you produce; your build order; and other things related to unit and resource management.

Another notable aspect of Starcraft mastery (or any RTS for that matter) is MULTITASKING. This is perhaps the hardest element to hone and master, and it affects both micro and macro. In a nutshell, it's about controlling your forces in battle and building and researching stuff in the background.

Only by increaing both your micro and macro skills, as well as multitasking, can you hope to achieve high level of Starcraft exprtise. :salute:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Micro = how accurate you are with your mouse, and how often you can click.

Macro = Do you build the correct number of factories, the right mix of units, and the right build order.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom