Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Okay bitches, it's Starcraft time

Atrokkus

Erudite
All the Codexians out there, JOIN THE FRAY!

Today Nicolai, Flashback and myself hooked up on some unofficial russian server and had some nice duels, 2x1 (2 vs me) and the EXTREME and INTENSE FFA ever. (i won everywhere cept 2x1 where i decided to dismantle my fleet of battlecruisers so that the poor congoids get a taste of victory, for once). great fun, despite us not being too skilled.
(i haven't played starcraft for like 5 years or so, only recently decided to give it a go, thanks to Flashback).

But skill and wins don't matter -- we're not some progamers. No matter how low your skills is, it can still be helluva fun, especially stuff like FFA, or a 5vs1 gangrape.

So fear not, my fellow congoids. Get yer dusty Starcraft off the shelves, or shamelessly download it (links below), since Blizzard's got enough moneys anyway, and then post here the time and day when you're free to play.

If you dont have Starcraft, here's how to get it fast:

1. Download the compact version of Starcraft: Broodwar. It's basically a heavily-truncated installation, lacking music, singleplayer campaign, some unneeded sounds and so forth. But multiplayer works perfectly, of course.
2. Install it and in the game directory run the program "regsetup.exe"
3. Download the latest patch - 1.14, and install it.
4. After that, download the patcher utility. Extract the archive to the game directory. Run the "install.exe" and go Options -> Add Gateways. You'll the see the huge list. Just click hte "Add Gateways" button. You're done with this patcher, don't use it for loading the game.
5. Now, download the loader. Extract the contents to a subfolder in your game directory (doesnt really matter where, actually).
6. Run BWLoader, click the obvious button -- voila, you're in Starcraft.
Now, you're given a wide selection of gateways, not just the Asia/Europe/US official ones. Note that without legit CD-key properly injected in this installation you'll not be able to play on Blizzard servers, as well as some (very few) unofficial (but big) servers.
hence, please, if you want to hook up with us, dont expect us to do so on the official servers.
If you got the legit Starcraft, just skip the first steps and download the Patcher and enable those gateways.

Not sure where we'll play next time though, on which server. if anyone got any advice, you're welcome.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Something I really liked to do with friends was play 2v6(comps). The computer can give you a fair run if you have to fight a bunch of them at once.

I'm okay at Starcraft but losing all the time isn't much fun, which is why I don't play it online. I'll play with you guys, though, could be cool.

Mass battlecruzers r 4 nubs ghost pwn ju

no

Novice
Count me in as well. I'm already bored and dissapointed with the Supreme Commander demo and could use some lean mean RTS entertainment (been a while, though). You're not using Brood War?

Atrokkus

Erudite
It's basically a heavily-truncated installation, lacking music, singleplayer campaign, some unneeded sounds and so forth. But multiplayer works perfectly, of course.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Oh, I forgot to say:

I can play any time on weekends and any time after 3 PM Central on every day cept Mon and Wed, when I can play after 5:30 or so.

Unlike nubs I've got the whole shebang, music and unecessary sounds included.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've got some questions. I've got a legit version of SC (the important part being that it runs off the CDs rather than hard disk like the truncated probably does) and I've also got the newest version of BW Launcher (the one that renamed Penguin Plugin to Starcraft Extension or something like that, I noticed you linked to an older version). Does it matter what version I use...?

Atrokkus

Erudite
It doesn't. It's just that you'll get newer plugin features perhaps, more stable.
I don't think there are any incompatibilities between replay files recorded in newer and older versions -- at least i hope so. I'm pretty sure that if you use penguin plugin your replays will be incompatible with the original executable, but you'll be able to see what the player who recorded the replay did, in first-person mode -- kinda like a VOD.
By the way, to switch to conventional view mode, type "/fpplay off" in chat-mode during replay playback. You can't watch the movements of any people other than the one who recorded replay, that's too bad.

Since you got legit version, and if you dont care about FP replays, then I guess you dont really need to use the loader at all, just use some conventional no-cd for 1.14 or even the original exe if you can bother inserting CDs all the time.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Alrighty. So you gonna play today? I just got finished watching a really great replay and I want to disappoint myself by trying to emulate him/it :(

Kraszu

Prophet
I can play I am not complete noob through. I am playing bad mostly because I am to lazy now to play good in game that require so much twitch skill.

Not sure where we'll play next time though, on which server. if anyone got any advice, you're welcome.

Netwars? Polish server it was always online when I played.

Kraszu

Prophet
No I just got some polish communicator. But it is always off because I like to be focused when I work, I am checking those forum often if I don't so just pm when you want to play and when I am online.

no

Novice
I just managed to install & configure all the junk. Is it too late to join in?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Holy shit that was fun. You guys need to come play with us. I can just imagine an 8 Man Codex FFA. :carnage:

Nicolai is a turret spamming bitch btw, who deserves every humiliating thing I did to him.

For those who want to play, we made our own little LAN (which stretches across the globe) using a cool program. Go get the program called Hamachi and connect to the network called 'kingcomrade is quite the banana' the password is 'banana'.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
We (me, KC, and Atrokkus) played a few games tonight. Some pretty intense stuff right there. I don't think I'll ever forgive that slut KC for infesting my last command center just as I was about to annihilate him. And that last match.. Ach nein.

finaloverturelw3.jpg

(We ended up using Hamachi, by the way. Will probably play some more tomorrow)

Atrokkus

Erudite
Aye, that was a fine massacre.
That Lan thingie is real cool btw, because BNet can be such a bitch sometimes, especially the unofficial servers (and I don't have the legit CD-key for official servers).

So, anyways, if you want to rumble just get on our IRC channels #rpgcodex or #fallout

Here's the replay of one of our today FFAs: http://www.rapidshare.ru/171804
(wait 20something seconds then click the link)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom