Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official 'dex Dwarf Fortress Thread

Perkel

Arcane
Some people say that new version improved their framerate a lot.
One dude on reddit says his FPS went up from 30 to 40-45 fps

Also 16x16 plot is playable now @ 2fpm (lol frames per minute). It takes roughly 4,5Gb ram to get plot like that with starting embark. Previously game crashed at more than 10x10

1L342lp.png

Classic triangle choke against a wrestler, bitchass in unitard had no chance.

Perkel

Arcane
Can enemies dig yet?
Can enemies jump over pits yet?
Can enemies climb walls yet?

1. No and yes. You can turn on that in DFhack.
2. Yes they can jump but not sever titles long holes. But some of them can fly (dragons, goblins on birds etc)
3. Yes if you build small walls some of them will climb walls.

Incantatar

Cipher
UPDATE

If you want only straight domestic animals (like in rl you know, not sjw dreamland)
replace creature_domestic.txt in df/raw/objects with this file:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=97025517197867789570

It works with 43.03+ and any graphics packs.

If you want bigger, tougher, stronger male dwarves and smaller, weaker, more fragile female dwarves* (who wants babys in their military?) and notably less female dwarves for fluff. Almost all are straight. Use the following creature_standard.txt:

(* i had time and used several studies of real life differences between human sexes as framework)

ASCII graphics (i.e. Curses, Taffer, etc) : http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=50453534417984479326
Phoebus tileset: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09902612182312876875

All tested with 43.03-43.05. Go ahead and change the files for your pleasure. Make all straight or all gay. You only need to change the numbers in my files.

EDIT: One note - You will have problems playing with LNP and graphics packs since it patches the raws on the fly and doesn't like custom raw changes. You don't need LNP though. Just install dfhack, twbt, graphics to the game and use LNP's utilities externally if you need. (Changing the base game folder in LNP after installing graphics might be fine too, didn't try it)

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Toady is concerded about that shitty artifacts only. So no significant changes anytime soon. Why the fuck DF even needs artifacts?

Perkel

Arcane
Toady is concerded about that shitty artifacts only. So no significant changes anytime soon. Why the fuck DF even needs artifacts?

Because !FUN!. Read what Tarn wrote few days ago. Now artifacts can be hairlooms for which different families can contest.

Imagine having a fort nice and tidy and then someone dies and someone takes artifact for himself. Suddenly you realize that your fort is consisting mostly of two factions who are at war with each other now and you watch your fortress go into madness mode.

Johannes

Arcane
Excessive supply chain maangement would not be that much of a problem should DF have at least mouse control or at least basic non-autistic UI.

Solution: play more DF.

The UI is much easier to figure out than the supply chain management, and pretty soon you don't even notice it. It's surprisingly fluid in use actually...
I thought so as well but then I played RimWorld and saw the flaws of DF and how handy simple mouse UI could be and how much better DF could be should Toady be not that retarded
Bullshit. DF UI has its problems obviously but RW UI isn't that great either - the problem is bad key shortcuts mostly.

Also RW you have to babysit your people more for full efficiency due to insufficient range of commands for stockpiles etc.

And you had a problem with food in RW? You damn noob...

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
In RW you have far less pawns than you have dwarves at the start. And 30 people is a tremendously huge colony, while 100 dwarves is a decent fortress. Food in RW is easy to obtain in lush biomes, but huge colonies can starve very easy, especially with solar-flares, heat waves etc, which could kill all your stockpiles.

Johannes

Arcane
Never got anywhere near 30 ppl... But as long as that doesn't happen overnight it shouldnt be hard to add appropriate amount of hydroponics, if you don't have the soil to simply add sun lamps or farm outside if applicable. The start is somewhat hard on ice sheet but still very doable, to get farming started, elsewhere not really problem at all (maybe extreme desert is comparable, don't remember the specs of those). Somewhat dependant on the starting people though, if you got nobody with good skills it will be harder. But if you reroll for (or luck out on) useful ppl it's easy.

If a solar flare or heatwave kills your crops and/or freezer stockpile you're doing it wrong.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Reposting here because I posted in the wrong thread.

I've played about 15 games of DF now and no matter what I do, I've just never seen Goblin invasions. I make sure I have them as neighbors every time, yet nothing. Even when I'm drowning in wealth. It gets a little boring after a while if things only go well in your fort. The worst I've ever gotten is werecreatures and they're fairly easy to deal with once you understand them.

Hm. Did you decrease pop cap by chance? Sieges have some population requirements. Also check gobbo population numbers in Legends, maybe their civ is underpopulated. I'm playing a game on latest LNP version and had several gobbo sieges already.

Nah I usually leave the LNP at default. It's possible that I just got unlucky every time, but I usually generate a new world every time I start a new game. I doubt I could get that unlucky.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
what version of the game are you using? there was a period of time, when sieges were broken IIRC. also is your civ at war with goblins? also you can always provoke elves or humans (provided you neighbor them), or dig further down to spice things up a bit =) Or embark close to necro tower or in terrifying biome. It's not hard to make DF harder )

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah, at older versions wealth did not counted, so you were unable to have human caravans or sieges.

It wasn't about wealth though. IT was movement of armies when they were introduced that was bugged i think.

Still it works nicely now. I played half a year ago and i got like 100+ orc siege in 3rd year when my humans had only small wooden wall and like 5 recruits with barely any experience and some shitty iron weapons.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Ha ha, this rabbit hole is pretty deep! There was a cascading split of various reputation data objects according to true, visual, historical and false identities, and lots of tracing up and down partial data to see where a new bit of information should be stored or what it implies. It is taking a while to sort it out. My brain broke a few days ago, but I feel more like we're coasting downhill on it now. Some problems we had of rumors revealing the identities of people they shouldn't have (especially as the rumors aged) have been patched up -- it can keep track of information about false identities indefinitely, and it can also keep track of independent reputations for the same person between several identities, even for old data where that distinction used to improperly collapse.
At some point DF will become self-aware.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Wake me up when he hires a UI guy.

Oh...and does some optimization.

Oh...and gets rid of all the @####&((!@#%%^^^ shit and hires a proper graphic artist.

Seriously.

This game is only for autistic sperg-lords. (The goblin suffered a hangnail injury on his left hand index finger)

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom