Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Scimitar is going to be revealed and released this month. My money is on it being a cruiser-carrier hybrid.

The only thing WRONG with the D'deridex for me is that it just doesn't look right if it's not using at least one Dual Beam...

Subject37

Educated
The Scimitar will most definitely be a carrier and I think chances are very good it's going to be the next C-store 3-pack. I've been willing to make a 100k dil bet with anyone on the STO forum who disagrees on that but so far no takers...

As far as the D'Deridex goes, I really want to like that ship because I've always loved how it looks, but that base turn really, REALLY sucks. I'm currently flying the free Ha'apax (same turnrate as the DD) while I level up and I feel like I'm going to die of old age waiting for that thing to turn around. I've never flown a Bortasqu but now I see why people despise it so. It's unbelievably frustrating to be able to mount heavy cannons on a ship that will never be able to bring them to bear.

If anyone has ideas on how to make these beasts work please let me know, I still want a DD if there's a way to make that a viable choice, but at the moment I'm leaning heavily towards the Mogai or the T'Varo.

Norfleet

You can make the D'Derpidex turn under several conditions:
1. Get Helmsman trait, the increased ability to HET is crucial for driving this thing.
2. Get D'Derpidex Console Set, gives bonus to turn.
3. Carry APO and/or Aux2Damp.
4. Cloaking Gives Bonus To Turn, expect to use the cloak to turn it.

Norfleet

As I said in game I chose KDF for the raiding doff missions. They net a pittance in bric-a-brac but its consistent pittance, as opposed to the Feds shit missions for shit pay.
Wait, what? Pittance? Are you out of your MIND? Do you not realize that our entire operation is funded by KDF pillaging operations? You know those millions of buckazoids in supplies and and doffs? All the crap that goes into our starbases? Those fancy Lockbox ships I happen to be flying? That's all paid for in sweet, sweet PIRATE BOOTY. Do you enjoy POVERTY?

You want the reason to play KDF? This is it.

Are there any unique to Fed doff missions notably worth while?
...not really, no.

If I was into 'role playing' within the game setting I'd definitely side Fed. I'd like to think that I don't side so easy and since I also think the KDF is scum it feels all the more like I'm cheating on the Federation and betraying all I hold dear ... for what? space bux? But I did so thats clearly wrong, what can I say I guess I'm scum too. Looks like I'm where I belong.
You know it's a character. You can do both...but this is an MMO. Roleplayers? In my MMO?

Oh yeah, I reconsidered for a moment not for ""role playing"" moral reasons but because I much prefer walking around Earth to the layout of The First City.
Oh yeah, the layout of First Shitty is awful. Don't go to First Shitty if you can avoid it.

Subject37

Educated
You can make the D'Derpidex turn under several conditions:
1. Get Helmsman trait, the increased ability to HET is crucial for driving this thing.
2. Get D'Derpidex Console Set, gives bonus to turn.

See, I know you're right about this. Probably need to add a Tachyokinetic console in there too. And all of that translates to "spend money to make this ship not suck". I'm not against spending money on this game, but it burns me that you need to spend it just to get the DD up to par.

Cool name

Arcane
So, whats the next step once you hit level 50?

Elite STF until your fingers bleed, Crystal Entithingie until you develop an acute case of 'I hate shiny crap', and Foundry missions until you can't take the LARPing anymore.

And if your character is a chick with a bare midriff there's getting private messages along the lines of 'Want to see my bridge? Wink, wink.' until you have five times more people ignored than friended.

Scimitar is going to be revealed and released this month. My money is on it being a cruiser-carrier hybrid.

The only thing WRONG with the D'deridex for me is that it just doesn't look right if it's not using at least one Dual Beam...

The Scimitar will most definitely be a carrier and I think chances are very good it's going to be the next C-store 3-pack. I've been willing to make a 100k dil bet with anyone on the STO forum who disagrees on that but so far no takers...

You are so mean to Neko. T_T I can barely play one MMO and now I am tempted to play TWO.

As far as the D'Deridex goes, I really want to like that ship because I've always loved how it looks, but that base turn really, REALLY sucks. I'm currently flying the free Ha'apax (same turnrate as the DD) while I level up and I feel like I'm going to die of old age waiting for that thing to turn around. I've never flown a Bortasqu but now I see why people despise it so. It's unbelievably frustrating to be able to mount heavy cannons on a ship that will never be able to bring them to bear.

If anyone has ideas on how to make these beasts work please let me know, I still want a DD if there's a way to make that a viable choice, but at the moment I'm leaning heavily towards the Mogai or the T'Varo.

I have a few ideas myself but it is mostly theorycraft: I have been far from the game for a long time so I do not know if they would still work.

1. Have a brutal alpha. You decloak while they are busy fighting someone else and let PAAAAAAIN rain on them. That's the only way to use that Feddie ship with the lance and the cloak, but you do not have a lance so...

2. Use the battlecloak to turn. More importantly, use the battlecloak IN REVERSE to turn. Going on reverse does raise your turn rate in a very perceptible way if you are in a space whale.

3. Aux2Damp and evasive maneuvers. This can be cool if you are an Engi because you do not need all those engineer slots for heals, and because you have an advantage over other cruisers in that you can cloak if you get too much heat, so you do not need to be so much of an ubertank as Carriers and Space Whales need to be.

4. Subspace jump. This can work prettily with the ALPHA STRIKE OF DEATH if you wait to jump until you have another ALPHA STRIKE OF DEATH ready. So, like, you decloak, alpha strike their tails, wait, subspace jump, alpha strike their tails, try to remove their mobility with tractors or something so that you can get that extra time in their tails, and cloak.

But you only need that if you are into PvP or Kerrat trolling. The most important thingie, though, is that in PvE and STFs you do not need to turn that much so, like, do what some Carrier people does: Stay at long range and pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew with your cannons while healing stuff.

The main problem I see with the ship is that it does have that 'submarine' feel at least in paper. Like it was made to be very deliberate and tactical and shit, but last time I was there PvP was all about DPS so, yeah, all that time you are maneuvering and stalking and preparing your ALPHA STRIKE OF DOOM you are doing no DPS at all. It does look like a fun ship for Kerrat and duels, though.

For PvP other than that you can make it a trololol healboat in that you cloak, wait, maneuver, decloak, ALPHA STRIKE OF HATE their tails while healing their target, subspace jump to some other ship, ALPHA STRIKE OF HATE their tails while healing their target, throw the console that confuses their targeting for lulz, and cloak. It is not very useful but it can be fun in a psychological warfare kind of way as healboats are prime targets but, well, they can't prime target you all that well.

Edit: Or just get polaron turrets with plasmonic leech, tetryon turrets, or that weird tetryon beam the feddies get as a mission reward if you can get it by allying with them that does have a much greater chance at proc-ing and be a full healboat.

Subject37

Educated
Or you could just broadside.

Yes, but after experimenting with Aux2Batt builds on my Excelsior I'm thinking the Ha'apax with its boff layout is better-suited as a broadsider as compared to the D'Deridex.

On the DD you probably want to forego any attempt at a half-ass Aux2Batt build and instead go with Aux2Damp so you can get that thing to turn around and fire some cannons.

Cool name

Arcane
whats an STF?

Special Task Force missions. I think you can play the normals once you get to 40 and the Elite ones once you are 50. They are basically very hard missions (to PUG) that you grind and grind and grind for special items and Dil.

Ah, that's it. You also can grind and grind and grind the Reputation system until you want to die. Some of those bonus thingies are awesome for tanky ships.

And do we still have the Romulan Wabbits minigame thingie or did they remove that?

Vaarna_Aarne

Or you could just broadside.

Yes, but after experimenting with Aux2Batt builds on my Excelsior I'm thinking the Ha'apax with its boff layout is better-suited as a broadsider as compared to the D'Deridex.

On the DD you probably want to forego any attempt at a half-ass Aux2Batt build and instead go with Aux2Damp so you can get that thing to turn around and fire some cannons.
Or you can fly like I do. You know, with the build that shouldn't work but somehow does.

whats an STF?
Special Task Force missions. I think you can play the normals once you get to 40 and the Elite ones once you are 50. They are basically very hard missions (to PUG) that you grind and grind and grind for special items and Dil.

Ah, that's it. You also can grind and grind and grind the Reputation system until you want to die. Some of those bonus thingies are awesome for tanky ships.

And do we still have the Romulan Wabbits minigame thingie or did they remove that?
You no longer grind STFs for items, just for Omega Marks, the items are acquired with those once you've got sufficient rep. And there are two really easy ones you can spam, one per day is enough to get the Marks needed for daily Rep increase.

In case of Romulans, yea it's either wabbits or Acamar+Alert.

The new Tholian rep is done with two instances as well: Vault Ensnared and Azure Nebula Rescue. Doing these on Bonus Hours is ~100% extra marks (normally it's 25% bonus), and they're next to impossible to fail, even for pugs. And they've got set timers, so you won't waste any longer than intended.

Subject37

Educated
Or you can fly like I do. You know, with the build that shouldn't work but somehow does.

What arcane devilry is this? What build be ye using?

they're next to impossible to fail, even for pugs.

Yes...and I've noticed that is encouraging the AFKers even more than normal unfortunately. I've been in multiple instances of Vault Ensnared pugs where some asshole will fly directly to the center of the map and sit there while the rest of us run the mission for them.

EDIT: Which makes me now wonder, what is the reward for completely failing Vault Ensnared? Do you still get some amount of marks even if your entire team just sits that doing nothing, like you do with blockade?

Vaarna_Aarne

What arcane devilry is this? What build be ye using?
Tac Oddy with standard broadside (with Cutting Beam instead of third aft beam), Wide Angle front and Hyper Plasma back, engie boffs in standard tanking pattern (EPTS1 cycle, RSP cycle, Aux2SIF3), sci boff with tanking (HE1, TSS2), and Tac boffs with DPS set-up (Overload 1, Overload 2, High Yield 2 cycle, Tac Team with doff boost to 15 sec cd).

they're next to impossible to fail, even for pugs.

Yes...and I've noticed that is encouraging the AFKers even more than normal unfortunately. I've been in multiple instances of Vault Ensnared pugs where some asshole will fly directly to the center of the map and sit there while the rest of us run the mission for them.

EDIT: Which makes me now wonder, what is the reward for completely failing Vault Ensnared? Do you still get some amount of marks even if your entire team just sits that doing nothing, like you do with blockade?
No idea about the VE reward for failing, since I've never failed it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, you can always holler people in the chat channel, there's almost always someone up for ISE and KAGE.

Davidshky

Scholar
Someone have been DDoSing EVE online lately and Planetside 2 started acting really strange (felt like I had 5000 ping except there was no stuttering) today.

Could be a bunch of scriptkiddies attacking MMOs since that does tend to cause quite a lot of rage.

eklektyk

Erudite
so anyone hunting accolades??? im willing to team up for them [fed tac]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom