Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Drakron

Arcane
OK, this is a warning ... The Arena of Sompek is once again upon us on January 11th, this is a WEEKEND EVENT so YOU BETTER SHOW UP AND NO EXCUSES!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well the aforementioned change to how weekend event rewards work is a tiny tiny step in the other direction, but overall the game is to put it mildly extremely hostile to everyone who didn't start playing several years ago. Even assuming you are in a big fleet or under Norfleet's wing, the non-fleet endgame (more like actual game, the way to level cap is just the tutorial) is essentially a giant cliff that keeps getting higher and higher, and if you didn't start climbing it long ago there's about fuck-all you can do.

Lhynn

Arcane
But whats the gameplay like? i remember doing some boring quests on a planet and little else. The combat was horrible and there didnt seem to be any depth beyond that.

Vaarna_Aarne

The gameplay revolves around two things really: Positioning yourself (much more notable in space since your movement is restricted) and keeping your rotation up. Unless one's jollies are tickled by success of a new set-up it won't do one much.

Also of note is that you don't even get a proper rotation until the very end of the extended tutorial. Rolling a new character will give the immediate feeling of the game being painfully wrong until you endure through the extended tutorial and can start the real game.

Drakron

Arcane
I am going to say its not that bad, honestly you can just play it as a single player game ... made in the PS2 era ... I apologize to the PS2 games, that was out of line ... so you dont get too invested on it, getting invested is bad, unless you are Norfleet, especially for your wallet.

Also all rewards are kinda lame but they are account unlocks and thus semi-mandatory.

it's a game for larpers.
forget the mechanics, they're mostly garbage. craptic has been able to ruin space battles too, which in beta were slightly different and more varied. all you look for into this game is to satiate your larping hunger: you can create from scratch not only your captain but his officers too, their skills, their equipment, their physical appearances, their dresses, and you can write a biography as long as you want for each of them. you suffer the grind not because the game is fun or you enjoy the loot rewards, you do it because you want to put together the crew you've always dreamt of. once you do it the game has nothing more to offer, but you could easily get bored before that.

Norfleet

Even assuming you are in a big fleet or under Norfleet's wing
I like how this is an OR now. Turns out, though, that big fleets have all fallen on their faces over this new holding. They aren't able to match us, and by us, I mean me. WINNING!

But whats the gameplay like? i remember doing some boring quests on a planet and little else. The combat was horrible and there didnt seem to be any depth beyond that.
Gameplay is terrible. Stay the fuck away unless you hate fun and wish to instead spend your time playing the game by subverting it.

even after years, i still don't get it. if norfleet is joking around, he's a pretty fun fella, if he's serious, he's got humongous issues.
but after all this is the codex, my bet goes on the latter.

Vaarna_Aarne

Even assuming you are in a big fleet or under Norfleet's wing
I like how this is an OR now. Turns out, though, that big fleets have all fallen on their faces over this new holding. They aren't able to match us, and by us, I mean me. WINNING!
Well, let's say it's a very very small or and it's really only there for people who are willing to get scammed by Jupiter Force membership fees or something.

Drakron

Arcane
Great, they turned on their fucking pre-patch and since they cannot get into data compression and at some point decided to move their servers to some shithole or managed to fuck up connections so hard the transfer rate is like I am back in 1979 with a phone line modem.

Vaarna_Aarne

I don't think Jupiter Force is still a thing.
Well I just remembered you telling like three years ago about them charging hefty price for membership or shop access back before you first single-handedly sabotaged the entire shop access racket business when you related the tale of how you single-handedly sabotaged the shop access racket.

Drakron

Arcane
Nay, that was Nerds of Prey that created a channel for public service that was invites for fleet maps so people could use the stores, they also allowed people to join and get Fleet ships due to how that shop works, Norfleet is part of NOP channel and by extent our fleet but even they are showing how the game is dying as the channel isnt very active anymore, maybe they all gone to Discord like all degenerates these days but I suspect its more people arent that invested in STO anymore, the last "balance" seem to have killed off a lot of the population that still actively played.

Also looking at names that appearing on the news blogs it seems Cryptic isnt holding much staff, the utter echelons are still there but the rest seen to be very ... fluid.

Norfleet

Well I just remembered you telling like three years ago about them charging hefty price for membership or shop access back before you first single-handedly sabotaged the entire shop access racket business when you related the tale of how you single-handedly sabotaged the shop access racket.
I think you may have a really distorted memory of that history. Because you're Vaarna and rarely ever appear. You've pretty much remembered every single part of that story wrong. FAKE NEWS!

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Lol, playable Cardassians Space Germans coming, is that desperation I smell coming from Craptic's offices?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
VoyQle9.png

:mixedemotions:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom