Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Norfleet

I used to hoard my marks for that reason, because I knew someone else would do it, and just focus on emptying out my shredders.

Now I still have approximately over 9000 doffs worth of meat, but no shredder.

Norfleet

I like the current system of having to ask. It means that nobody can just fill the easy stuff and leave the hard stuff for somebody else. That sort of behaviour is just plain annoying.
I don't think we actually have hard stuff anymore, anyway. Unless someone slots a mineral-eating project, all the things are easy things, just to differing degrees of annoying. Suffice it to say it is not recommended to slot mineral eating projects since I no longer have a mineral-producing infrastructure, not that I would feed a pointless dump project anyway.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
maaan i need a reason to finish delta recruits ... i stalled on nimbus hard and seeems cant to progress further
Why can't you progress further? Because of a bug, or a "why am I doing this at all" crisis? Strangely Nimbus didn't bother me as much as running "Temporal Ambassador" for the nth time...

So far my Derpa Rectums made me about 18k potatos, 845 rep-marks (paid for my CC deflector), several hundreds of fleet marks and 5k fleet-only potatos. Plus the other gimmicks. For each "old" char. And I actually had fun playing a Sci char for a change. Surprisingly effective on the ground. BURN WITH ME! #Drakron2014
At least that's how I was motivated...
Continuing doffing and earning more marks to maximize those char's reps for an extra 50k potatos however... I am lacking that motivation as well. I already have enough "mains" to care for and thoe potatos are easier earned with catfood.

That reminds me: does the upgcoming dil bonus weekend include turning in catfood, or is just mining again?

Also regarding fleet projects: where do you even get a blue refugee? I don't think I ever had one at all.

eklektyk

Erudite
its mainly questin on ground with all ground combat and all that entails ... with sparklin of space combat at the end ... simply horibiru

i may give it a go in a day or two ... but with 3 deltas to grind it thru it will make mightly repetetive in no time

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Do the old norfleet "mail order weapons" trick to give you some extra puch.
Also, you do not have to do them all on all chars. I made a complete run with a kdf-rom and just filled in the blanks with the others (or plan on some day). Check the temporal NPC with a non-rectum what still gives acc wide rewards and doff your way to glory. Some of them have to be repeated, but.... meh.
If you rolled a sci or even a tac, combat is over before it really started, with an engi however... you have my sympathies. :hug:

Norfleet

Engineers splo stuff up real good on the ground, but kinda blow ass in space, since they have absolutely no skills which pertain to killing anything, and the game is DPS Online.

maaan i need a reason to finish delta recruits ... i stalled on nimbus hard and seeems cant to progress further
Sounds normal to me. Do some doffing. Low-level episodes are a pain in the butt because there's only so far you can drag a Miranda before it gets annoying. Plus, they suck.

Norfleet

Possibry, but given the level curve under XP boosts and doffing, you tend to have outleveled it by the time you get it, so it's still unhelpfur. Plus, no boffs, so it wouldn't really help at that point.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Engineer doesn't really get much out of their capabilities unless put in command of a pure Carrier or Sci Boat. That's where their extra tanking (and power bonuses) can get some real edge.

Norfleet

Nah, that's old Vaarnoid thinking. It's nonsense. Tanking ain't a thing. The problem with Engineers is that they basically just don't do anything actually useful as a space class. You can't tank an enemy to death, and the game is DPS Online, while Engineers have no real DPS-enhancing abilities.

Davidshky

Scholar
Holodeck patch notes

• “Fluid Dynamics”
    • Resolved an issue which was causing KDF Captains to not be able to enter this episode.
    • Resolved an issue where allies would sometimes not help the players.

Photonic bridge officer here I come!

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Engineer doesn't really get much out of their capabilities unless put in command of a pure Carrier or Sci Boat. That's where their extra tanking (and power bonuses) can get some real edge.
While my experiences with an engineer is limited to 1,5 toons, I have to (gasp!) agree with Norfleet there. The only ability I ever used is EPS power transfer and even that is not really needed these days if you fly a cruiser, thanks to cruiser commands and +power slapped on everything you get your grabby hands on. The rest of the abilities is heartwarming pointless because you already have similar ones on your boffs. Nadion invershun... yeah, whatever.
I can't comment about carriers, but sci boats already have extra shieldpower for added defense in exchange for less weapon slots. If anything they would need more offensive power.
And ground engi? Hiding behind a cover shield like a pussy while your turrets/mines kill stuff is not really my cup of tea, but to each their own.

Sci captains get at least sensor scan (as a second APB), photonic fleet and can cough up majestic grav wells of doom. DOOM! So even in a conventional playstyle (read: pewpew instead of spacemagic) they offer nice balance between "kill shit faster" and "not blow up if somebody sneezes" and being a fire wizard on the ground never gets old.

Engineer is the Guardian Fighter of STO. Pre-patch. Sad story.

Photonic bridge officer here I come!
Didn't even unwrap mine, is he any good?

Norfleet

And ground engi? Hiding behind a cover shield like a pussy while your turrets/mines kill stuff is not really my cup of tea, but to each their own.
You have many things that explode, though. It's like Allah's Snackbar! Ground Engi is pretty neat, stuff blows you, you can solo Temple Hard. Placing mines on enemy spawn points never gets old. I dunno about you, but I LIKE hiding behind shields and blowing things up. Space Engi certainly does not lack for hiding behind shields, but is critically missing the part where stuff blows up. Hiding behind shields and blowing things up is awesome. Hiding behind shields and NOT blowing things up is merely being a chickenshit.

can cough up majestic grav wells of doom.
Point of order. Coughing up Gravwells is not actually a Science Captain specific ability. Anyone can do that in the right ship.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Coughing up Gravwells is not actually a Science Captain specific ability. Anyone can do that in the right ship.
My bad. I put points into particle generator thinking a sci captain had different space skills and sci fleet would add bonus to science skills. Only ground skills are different though and sci fleet buffs shield and res. But the rest is still valid.

I dunno about you, but I LIKE hiding behind shields and blowing things up.
I have become a very happy panda recently by insta-desintigrating spawning enemies as a tac (using the romulard kit that giveth 200% dmg to the alternate fire mode). 4 digit dmg numbers on the ground give me small manly tears of happiness. Might not work as well against shielded enemies, but there is always cockring's shotgun.

Also:
I LIKE hiding behind shields and blowing things up.
I LIKE
I LIKE

:what:

I am confused here... does that mean engi is NOT fun or do you suddently not hate fun anymore?

Norfleet

Of course it's not fun. It's an utterly lame and unsporting way to fight. I mean, hiding behind walls and mining spawn points? Standing there waiting for turrets to kill everything for you? Total cheese. Why do you think I like it?
nofunallowed.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

What sciboats lack is shield ABILITIES. Base shields don't matter squat, your shield abilities are what does the work. And Engineer's sole space quality is that they can patch up a hole in that capability, but only up to a certain extent. Ships like Vesta and pure Carriers are ideal in the size of this hole, so an Engineer captain will push them up to Cruiser segment of durability, and provide the assload of power needed to go wholehog on pewpew AND grav wells at the same time.

A bigger problem there is that vast majority of sciboats suck dick.

Vaarna_Aarne

You need one new character ASAP in order to get Delta Recruit benefits. Having one is enough, other factions' Delta Recruits only give a few extra goodies (as in marks). The main rewards are accountwide and not faction-specific.

Also, if you refer to carriers as anything that can rock at least one hangar, the new Command Cruisers are p. cool.

Norfleet

I'm back after a six-month sabbatical in Eve. Had finished all the 3 species storylines (Fed, Klingon, Elf) and maxed out the reps (then) available for them.
What can you tell me about Eve, anyway? How does one approach becoming space-rich in it? It seems like a very expensive game to play, costing about infinity times more to even start than STO, the worst possible time to even consider paying for anything when I have no idea what to even do, nor can do anything, if what I hear of the skill system is true.

Stokowski

Arcane
You need one new character ASAP in order to get Delta Recruit benefits. Having one is enough, other factions' Delta Recruits only give a few extra goodies (as in marks). The main rewards are accountwide and not faction-specific.

Also, if you refer to carriers as anything that can rock at least one hangar, the new Command Cruisers are p. cool.

New character? Hmmm .... is there a species-du-jour?

For me carriers means two hangars. (Kar-fi fo'life!)

Norfleet

Well, Alien offers the most flexibility and choice of lockbox traits, clearly.

Vaarna_Aarne

But Alien does not have a racial speciality. Generally speaking, you should just pick what you find the most interesting choice. There's not really that many racial synergies with classes, and ones that do exist (ie, Bajoran healing bonuses) are negligible. Only Romulans have an exception to this, Romulan Operative trait.

Stokowski

Arcane
OK. I suppose, although IIRC I had so many slots for the limited selection of slotable space traits that I'm not sure how custom Alien is better, and only Humans, Lib Borg, and Joined Trill have any sort of meaningful space traits don't they? (*Edit: Fed side, at least)

Oh, and do I care about faction for the Delta Recruit? (This is my way of asking what's up with Codex-aligned fleets in the post-Norfleet universe.)

Vaarna_Aarne

No. ONLY Romulans have a meaningful racial space trait (Romulan Operative, but even that is really a thing because of boff trait stacking). The aforementioned examples are not even a marginal benefit.

And no need to worry about faction, both our Fed Fleet and our KDF Fleet are fully maxed out.

Stokowski

Arcane
Righto, let's see if maintenance is finished on schedule. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom