Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odin Sphere: Leifdrasir or better known as HD version

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thirteen minutes pf gameplay.

Seems like it plays very different from the original.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Copyright claim. Damn you Atlus!

But you're still localizing this so it's all good.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I forgot that was even a thing. Wasn't there potions to give you infinite stamina or something? I think I just spammed those for boss fights anyways.

spekkio

Arcane
OS had way too much recycling going on (stages, enemies, boses).
In the video there's some newshit: stages have Y axis now, like in Muramasa, there are new skill / combo system or sth (~1:50), ranking is now more clear... But it's still just Final Fight on steroids (simple and repetitive gameplay).

Still, would buy torrent if it was released on PC.

* Olso, this "mid-boss" battle ~8:00 looks quite easy. In original these were sometimes quite difficult. Guy just spams "special" attack, which would've drain stamina quickly in the original.

:decline:

Hitoshura

Educated
:necro:

Played this enough to get Platinum on PS3. I also played and completed the original PS2 game originally when it was released.

Yep, it's great stuff! The story line is very good, there's nothing new ideas for a fantasy scenario but everything is well put together. The idea that you play the story line from 5 different perceptive is pretty cool. Significantly better than the usual bunch of teenagers that band up to save the world, even up until the end, the protagonists still doesn't fully trust each other. I didn't notice any story line difference in the remake.

The remake did augment the gameplay quite a bit and for the better. The original game has 2 important problems:
  1. This is a high fantasy setting and it was weird that your character would be stunned out of exhaustion with a couple of swings. While that was fine purely gameplay wise, it doesn't really fit with the narrative.
  2. The gameplay didn't have enough depth to support a 40h story line.
Both problems are fixed in the new one. Yes, being able to attack all the time and generally be able to spam your attacks more makes the game easier. In fact, I should have played this in hard difficulty mode. The game becomes not necessary to hit your opponents but where you will be when you are done. Potions do retain their strength as you you are no longer affected by friendly fire but your opponents still are. You have more options how to build your characters so each of them feels more distinct. It's nothing amazing but good enough to sustain a 40h game.

The item management is a lot better, which is highly welcome. Crafting is a lot more integrated in the game since to gain levels and max HP, you will have to do a lot of it as fighting gives very little XP. I generally don't like too much crafting but it works well here and is not annoying (i.e. it doesn't become a collectible and/or grinding game).

TLDR: I highly recommend the game! Good times!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This game is incredibly good. Picked it up today and i've only put about 4~ hours in and I'm absolutely loving it every single second of it. This could've ended up being a strong contender for my personal 2016 GOTY if that wasn't pre-emptively taken by Monster Hunter Generations. As always I'm left amazed by how fun Vanillaware's games are. Let's hope that 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim makes its way to the west in a timely manner.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
53afe3c777aed3ebd43b3cab31c23142.jpg

Official artwork from the artbook.
I haven't even played the game and I assure you it's a 10/10.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wish I had that art book. I got the one for Dragon's Crown and it is a joy to flip over it. The best part is, surprisingly, not the big titties, but the delicious looking food. Kamitani is a massive foodie and it shows in his games. In any case, I've finished Gwendolyn's book and am playing as Cornelius now (the man and rabbit above me). This game is just so good. Gameplay is incredibly smooth, responsive and rewarding. This is pretty top tier as far as action games go, up there with DMC and God Hand for me. I'm also enjoying the dialogue, story and characters of the game. It plays out like a theatre play which is pretty unique for a video game. Refreshing and fun, I like it. Makes me wish I could watch Rory Kinnear as Hamlet again. This is a game with lots of heart put into it.

lightbane

Arcane
So, does it have new content compared with the original PS2 release? New characters? New endings? New bosses? Something else?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So, does it have new content compared with the original PS2 release? New characters? New endings? New bosses? Something else?

I've not played the OG version, but from what I've understood it has: redrawn graphics, a revamped combat system, each character now has a skill tree with lots of new unique skills per character making them feel more flavorable and different, old and more generic skills were turned into alchemy potions that you can craft and use with everyone. Not sure about the rest. Many people have commented that the new changes to the combat and characters are so big that it feels like a different game, so perhaps it's more of a remake rather than a HD remaster. You can play the old version of Odin Sphere in the remake so maybe I'll give it a try some day to see how they compare.

Dyskolos

Cipher

What HoboElf listed are the major changes - especially the combat and character specialization there. A lot of it is geared to speeding it up and giving you more opportunities for chaining huge combos. Whether you enjoy this or find it cheapens the skill aspect will probably depend on the difficulty. Quicker attacks and dashes mean you could basically button mash your way through normal difficulty, judging by my wife's efforts on the first map. On hard though you'll find yourself forced to use more of the unlockable character-specific skills. Theses are a bit of a mixed bag for utility - though maybe I didn't play around with enough of them aside from Gwendolyn and Velvet (just because I like their styles the best) - but everybody has at least a few consistently good options.

Another difference is the ranking system - better stage score now nets you more money and better items. This is especially useful with farming otherwise expensive food you need for the fastfood recipes.

There are also some mid-area bosses I don't remember from the original and somewhat greater environmental interactivity. Nothing amazing but you can jump about on ruins and elsewhere.

I think the travel system on the maps has also been redone to include quick travel.

My one recommendation is not to overlevel or overfarm. Game is more fun when you keep it challenging enough to necessitate learning the combat system.

I tried to beat each stage in 1 go, while only bringing like 2 potions with me into a level. It's too easy to trivialize any incoming damage by spamming health potions that are easy to make.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah you'll definitely want to play it on Hard as well. The game gets progressively harder with the challenge rooms (I'm playing as Oswald now and they throw 3 bosses at you simultaneously), but the potions are so obscene, especially Toxin.

Hitoshura

Educated
Potions are very powerful but if you use the mangradoras to brew them, you will gain less levels as you need at lot of them for cooking. I felt that the random potion drops and the ones given to you during boss fights were enough when used strategically. Might be a normal difficulty thing however.

Hobo Elf mentioned Dragon's Crown, I tried to play that one and given up after 10 or so hours. The problem I have with this game is that the battlefield is simply too crowded and you can't see shit anymore on a regular basis. While this happens occasionally in Odin Sphere, you are on a single plane so attacking more is going to eventually clears out a path. No so much in Dragon's Crown as the depth have importance. The circle they added below your character helps but just a little. Maybe I should play that one without AI assistance? Is this feasible in that way or too difficult if you don't know the game well?

Siveon

Bot
I solo'd through most if not all of Dragon's Crown, so yeah, it's possible. And I'm not especially good at action games so it should be alright for you. Never had a problem with crowds with 3 other AIs though, since they would usually clear them out quickly - or I would. Which is the best feeling, to get all those fuckers in a bundle and just slaughter them with ease. I'd say that's what Vanillaware does best actually, and it should be a highlight for most beat 'em ups.

I didn't like having to constantly break walls to unearth loot or open doors in Dragon's Crown. I just wanted to beat things up and having to pixel hunt every room was enough to keep me from playing it much. I wish it had a little less nonsense.

I like Odin's Sphere a lot more at the end of the day. Combat rooms and puzzle rooms are kept entirely separate. The combat system is just really enjoyable. Wish it had something like an endless battle mode.

Siveon

Bot
Pixel hunting was a lot easier on the Vita. Just take a sec and scan the whole room with my thumb, sadly I had to deal with a bit more slowdown. Like 2% more.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dragon's Crown has lots of visual noise. Raistlin The Wizard was especially horrible since you hardly saw shit once you began dropping his spells. I think the worst thing about that game was that the majority of your character progression was tied to the subquests. It was pretty tiresome to do them all again with new characters. Especially that damn Vampire quest, ugh. Then you had to fiddle around with the runes which I also did not like very much. I just wanted to go and beat shit up.
Odin Sphere, I feel, has less visual noise. Somehow I'm able to tell what's going on most of the time even when it gets hectic. Playing as Oswald and unleashing his Berserk mode should make for an awful experience due to how visual and fast it is, but I don't feel that this is the case. The little mini map above that shows only the basic geometry, sprites and projecticles helps A LOT, however. That was a great thing to add and Dragon's Crown could've benefitted from it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You can skip doing them if you've done them before. And the pixel hunting isn't terribly important; there are only 1-2 chests really worth going out of your way to collect in any given stage, the rest are low level shitter chests. And the random background loot isn't that important compared to wrecking shit faster, you get most of your xp/gold from bosses and chaining stages. I did get sick of the cooking minigame though, it gets repetitive fast but remains pretty important no matter how strong you get.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I finally finished Odin Sphere after putting it on hiatus while I was playing MHG. Overall Odin Sphere was a pretty 10/10 experience. I enjoyed it immensely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom