Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News ObsidiLeaks: The Chris Avellone May of Rage Archive

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
These were the two I asked that you missed, if you're interested

Did you ever get around to playing either Expeditions: Conquistador or Expeditions: Viking ?

Conquistador, in particular has quite a cool take on the style of companions and companion content, and quite good 'scripted interactions' (before that phrase was coined by Pillars team?). Vikings was more traditional.

I also recall that you did a narrative session with the Logic Artists guys, how was that? They seem pretty cool, one of the few dev teams that I would still gladly opt into beta testing for

What do you think about the engagement system in Pillars of Eternity?

2house2fly

Magister
I don’t want to debate it too much, but it is the exact same thing in the end result (esp. in the status updates where you make reference to his contribution, too - that's hardly distinct from a direct post).

That's why him offering to let you post it for him is weird when it leads to the same destination and is clearly... well, a response from Eric and he has an account. That's why I thought you might have asked, because that makes more sense.

Again, I was just glad it was from Eric and you didn't post it without his permission because I was worried about that from the lack of context.

Don’t worry, I’ll have more questions about it in 3-4 minutes, I’m sure.

I got the impression that Eric sent a PM to Infinitron to post a reply without attracting too much attention but your response to his message to Infinitron caused him to log in and post himself, probably not the best idea on his part. Wouldn't be too surprised if he got a message from Obsidian telling him not to reply further, as well.
Does he even still work for them?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Does he even still work for them?

What does that matter? He left and may have had to sign an NDA of some sorts, and there may be some existing agreement in relation to Pillars 2, if there are bugs he needs to fix that makes him binded to some of the pr related terms there (though I doubt it).

Developer
I called IHaveAHugeNick a shill when I was hiding his Obsidian developer past and took away "shill" when he became public about it - and now, going back through the responses in this, I realize I was coasting off my poor wordplay with "colossal fatass" (referring to myself) in insulting Nick with fuckery. How derivative.

I don't think I called Infinitron a hack or shill, I had mentioned I didn't think he posted news - he finds news but the way he posts it (like with this piece) adds a spin to things that didn't have it before based on his own perspective, which may be (but not always) incorrect.

His dramatic headlines were what caused some unusual reactions to happen in the past, although they were overall good for me, it wasn't because they were true at all.

I don't mind if you feel you have to embellish or add your opinions to a piece, but at that point, you don't call it news - you call it a community update, an editorial commentary, big ol' pile o' stuff, or something that isn't news. It's not even an insult to him, just a point I'm making.

I'm used to his word framing of his releases by now to the point I feel he should be dubbed Inflamatron, and will lobby incessantly to make it so.

Also, on a serious note - which I brought up already: before he posts here, or worse, decides to go to other forums and posts, he should make absolutely certain he knows what facts he's posting - because aside from the drama, if it's incorrect, it probably won't end well.

Developer

Did you ever get around to playing either Expeditions: Conquistador or Expeditions: Viking ?

I did play Viking (at Logic Artists, with the team and asked questions - they also watched how I played it and asked questions), and I liked it. I also checked out their design docs and discussed the docs with them. I haven't played Conquistador, and I didn't have time to play anymore of Vikings once I returned to the states, but I still talked to the Logic Artists team, and we stay in touch. : )

Conquistador, in particular has quite a cool take on the style of companions and companion content, and quite good 'scripted interactions' (before that phrase was coined by Pillars team?). Vikings was more traditional.

I have heard good things from people playing both.

I also recall that you did a narrative session with the Logic Artists guys, how was that? They seem pretty cool, one of the few dev teams that I would still gladly opt into beta testing for

They were all very nice, genuine people. We did have a group discussion about pipelines and work flow (kind of a huge Q&A) which was fun. They made me feel very welcome.

I don't have an opinion, I'm sorry.

Repressed Homosexual
It boggles my mind why anyone would persist in trying to work in the game industry, when it has been consistently shown that since the very first days, it has always involved terrible work conditions, absurd third-world sweatshop work hours, constant drama and battles of egos, etc. It is nerds bullying other nerds. Ifs happened in any other white collar industry, people would their boss to get lost and leave. In the field where I work, there is none of this. I don't get to create stories, but I do get a stable paycheck, decent benefits, decent hours, a pleasant atmosphere, no battles of egos and people taking out their inferiority complexes out on me, etc.

I have a hard time getting scandalized. In my opinion, you know what you're getting into when you are choosing to pursue type of career. I mean, wouldn't you agree that it is the same thing over and over again? Don't you have to accept to be a bit of a masochist to be a game developer, knowing all that it entails?

I think it's never going to change because entertainment products are fickle by definition. It's the first thing people cut off on when they face economical hardships, and it caters to people's fickleness by always making them chase the shiny/trendy new thing. It's not like car tires, toothpaste, or any other commodity. So security will never exist. People are always fighting for scraps and it's never going to be good and stable like in other white collar jobs.

Do you really think that your new bosses will always be all that different?

Last edited:

JBro

Arbiter

I did play Viking (at Logic Artists, with the team and asked questions - they also watched how I played it and asked questions), and I liked it. I also checked out their design docs and discussed the docs with them. I haven't played Conquistador, and I didn't have time to play anymore of Vikings once I returned to the states, but I still talked to the Logic Artists team, and we stay in touch. : )

I have heard good things from people playing both.

They were all very nice, genuine people. We did have a group discussion about pipelines and work flow (kind of a huge Q&A) which was fun. They made me feel very welcome.

I don't have an opinion, I'm sorry.

Stop dodging my hardhitting questions on your support of the notorious Gamergate.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
If hypothetically, the game industry is an overall "no" next year, I could relax for 200+ years and not worry about a thing. Even my funeral is paid for.

I don't have many expenses, and I don't need to work anymore - I work because I love writing for games, so I do. Shocking, I know, but... yes, it's the truth.

I think Chris has married into money.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd like to take this unique opportunity to personally thank Chris Avellone for Torment because it's my fondiest memory in more than three decades of gaming, and wish him good luck with all his future endeavors and family matters...

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I called IHaveAHugeNick a shill when I was hiding his Obsidian developer past and took away "shill" when he became public about it - and now, going back through the responses in this, I realize I was coasting off my poor wordplay with "colossal fatass" (referring to myself) in insulting Nick with fuckery. How derivative.

I don't think I called Infinitron a hack or shill, I had mentioned I didn't think he posted news - he finds news but the way he posts it (like with this piece) adds a spin to things that didn't have it before based on his own perspective, which may be (but not always) incorrect.

His dramatic headlines were what caused some unusual reactions to happen in the past, although they were overall good for me, it wasn't because they were true at all.

I don't mind if you feel you have to embellish or add your opinions to a piece, but at that point, you don't call it news - you call it a community update, an editorial commentary, big ol' pile o' stuff, or something that isn't news. It's not even an insult to him, just a point I'm making.

I'm used to his word framing of his releases by now to the point I feel he should be dubbed Inflamatron, and will lobby incessantly to make it so.

Also, on a serious note - which I brought up already: before he posts here, or worse, decides to go to other forums and posts, he should make absolutely certain he knows what facts he's posting - because aside from the drama, if it's incorrect, it probably won't end well.

Is it really fair to hold Infinitron to a higher standard than most professional journalists are held to? I’d love it if we lived in a world where every publication did its damnedest to distinguish between fact and speculation; unfortunately that world vanished a long time ago. Sure, this style would never fly at The New York Times or The Washington Post or even USA TODAY, but it would fit right in at any British tabloid you’d care to name (and if The Sun can get away with it despite the UK’s harsh libel laws, I doubt Inflamatron Will have any problems). Given that the main attraction here is the gossip factor, that seems fitting.

Developer
I think Chris has married into money.

The answer's the same as in the doc. Took time, I work a lot of hours, but was worth it in the end.

It also helps when your living expenses amount to a few hundred bucks each week, you don't need to drive, and your hobby is your job.

I'm not flush, but I never spend more than I earn - I keep a budget, and I never go into debt (the debts I had at the end of Obsidian I took on were not my own).

I will say when you have debts like that, it made it all the more frustrating when expenses weren't paid back, especially for questionable reasons (true story - we had at least one instance where expenses to employees weren't paid back - not employee paychecks like I brought up before, but employee expenses - all because Feargus admitted in an email he wanted the company financials to look as good as possible for his own house refinance).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom