Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

People News ObsidiLeaks: The Chris Avellone May of Rage Archive

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 10, 2018.

1. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Click here and disable ads!
    These were the two I asked that you missed, if you're interested

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    Parrots:
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Where is the doc with just Chris calling Infinitron a hack and shill?
    :nofunallowed:

• Funny x 12
    • Yes x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Latro Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    yeah, where are the posts that ended Infinitron 's iron rule?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    Does he even still work for them?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Parrots:
    Reading it now. Quite interesting overall. I figured Feargus was a shitty type of guy. Now it's official.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    What does that matter? He left and may have had to sign an NDA of some sorts, and there may be some existing agreement in relation to Pillars 2, if there are bugs he needs to fix that makes him binded to some of the pr related terms there (though I doubt it).

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Parrots:
    I called IHaveAHugeNick a shill when I was hiding his Obsidian developer past and took away "shill" when he became public about it - and now, going back through the responses in this, I realize I was coasting off my poor wordplay with "colossal fatass" (referring to myself) in insulting Nick with fuckery. How derivative.

I don't think I called Infinitron a hack or shill, I had mentioned I didn't think he posted news - he finds news but the way he posts it (like with this piece) adds a spin to things that didn't have it before based on his own perspective, which may be (but not always) incorrect.

His dramatic headlines were what caused some unusual reactions to happen in the past, although they were overall good for me, it wasn't because they were true at all.

I don't mind if you feel you have to embellish or add your opinions to a piece, but at that point, you don't call it news - you call it a community update, an editorial commentary, big ol' pile o' stuff, or something that isn't news. It's not even an insult to him, just a point I'm making.

I'm used to his word framing of his releases by now to the point I feel he should be dubbed Inflamatron, and will lobby incessantly to make it so.

Also, on a serious note - which I brought up already: before he posts here, or worse, decides to go to other forums and posts, he should make absolutely certain he knows what facts he's posting - because aside from the drama, if it's incorrect, it probably won't end well.

• Brofist x 43
    • Funny x 9
    • Salute x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • nice x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. JBro Learned

JBro
    Parrots:
    Just say what we're all thinking. Infinitron is a punk bitch.

• Funny x 8
    • Yes x 7
    • incline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Parrots:
    Did you ever get around to playing either Expeditions: Conquistador or Expeditions: Viking ?

I did play Viking (at Logic Artists, with the team and asked questions - they also watched how I played it and asked questions), and I liked it. I also checked out their design docs and discussed the docs with them. I haven't played Conquistador, and I didn't have time to play anymore of Vikings once I returned to the states, but I still talked to the Logic Artists team, and we stay in touch. : )

Conquistador, in particular has quite a cool take on the style of companions and companion content, and quite good 'scripted interactions' (before that phrase was coined by Pillars team?). Vikings was more traditional.

I have heard good things from people playing both.

I also recall that you did a narrative session with the Logic Artists guys, how was that? They seem pretty cool, one of the few dev teams that I would still gladly opt into beta testing for

They were all very nice, genuine people. We did have a group discussion about pipelines and work flow (kind of a huge Q&A) which was fun. They made me feel very welcome.

What do you think about the engagement system in Pillars of Eternity?

I don't have an opinion, I'm sorry.

• Brofist x 14
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    It boggles my mind why anyone would persist in trying to work in the game industry, when it has been consistently shown that since the very first days, it has always involved terrible work conditions, absurd third-world sweatshop work hours, constant drama and battles of egos, etc. It is nerds bullying other nerds. Ifs happened in any other white collar industry, people would their boss to get lost and leave. In the field where I work, there is none of this. I don't get to create stories, but I do get a stable paycheck, decent benefits, decent hours, a pleasant atmosphere, no battles of egos and people taking out their inferiority complexes out on me, etc.

I have a hard time getting scandalized. In my opinion, you know what you're getting into when you are choosing to pursue type of career. I mean, wouldn't you agree that it is the same thing over and over again? Don't you have to accept to be a bit of a masochist to be a game developer, knowing all that it entails?

I think it's never going to change because entertainment products are fickle by definition. It's the first thing people cut off on when they face economical hardships, and it caters to people's fickleness by always making them chase the shiny/trendy new thing. It's not like car tires, toothpaste, or any other commodity. So security will never exist. People are always fighting for scraps and it's never going to be good and stable like in other white collar jobs.

Do you really think that your new bosses will always be all that different?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • retadred x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Inflamatron, I like it.

• Brofist x 9
    • nice x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Yes x 3
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. JBro Learned

JBro
    Parrots:
    Stop dodging my hardhitting questions on your support of the notorious Gamergate.

• retadred x 10
    • Shit x 8
    • (autism) x 3
    • Rage x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Latro Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    • Funny x 9
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. santino27 Prophet

santino27
    Parrots:
    I'm assuming they all know about Roguey , but only a few know enough to have successfully gotten restraining orders.

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    There is no Obsidian without Roguey.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Sounds like the name of some flamethrowing robot you fight in Fallout or Wasteland or something.

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    Sawyer once said on stream "I'm not Roguey".

• Funny x 21
    • [citation needed] x 5
    • Informative x 3
    • Balanced x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    I think Chris has married into money.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Infinitron = Delivers News.

Informitron = Corrects News.

Eternitron = Obsidian Entertainment.

Tormentatron = inXile Entertainment.

• Creative Creative x 5
    • nice nice x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Wunderbar Learned

Wunderbar
    Parrots:
    Protectron - Bethesda Softworks.

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Shog-goth Educated

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    I'd like to take this unique opportunity to personally thank Chris Avellone for Torment because it's my fondiest memory in more than three decades of gaming, and wish him good luck with all his future endeavors and family matters...

• Brofist x 5
    • Friendly x 4
    • incline x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London

Is it really fair to hold Infinitron to a higher standard than most professional journalists are held to? I’d love it if we lived in a world where every publication did its damnedest to distinguish between fact and speculation; unfortunately that world vanished a long time ago. Sure, this style would never fly at The New York Times or The Washington Post or even USA TODAY, but it would fit right in at any British tabloid you’d care to name (and if The Sun can get away with it despite the UK’s harsh libel laws, I doubt Inflamatron Will have any problems). Given that the main attraction here is the gossip factor, that seems fitting.

• Funny x 4
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The publisher who has kept Arkane Studios alive.

Sins forgiven.

:greatjob:

(...until they blow it)

:fight:

^ Top  
  24. Wunderbar Learned

Wunderbar
    Parrots:
    well, Raphael Colantonio left after Prey was completed, and then there were rumors about Arkane going away from singleplayer.

^ Top  
  25. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Parrots:
    The answer's the same as in the doc. Took time, I work a lot of hours, but was worth it in the end.

It also helps when your living expenses amount to a few hundred bucks each week, you don't need to drive, and your hobby is your job.

I'm not flush, but I never spend more than I earn - I keep a budget, and I never go into debt (the debts I had at the end of Obsidian I took on were not my own).

I will say when you have debts like that, it made it all the more frustrating when expenses weren't paid back, especially for questionable reasons (true story - we had at least one instance where expenses to employees weren't paid back - not employee paychecks like I brought up before, but employee expenses - all because Feargus admitted in an email he wanted the company financials to look as good as possible for his own house refinance).

• Brofist x 17
    • Prestigious x 4
    • Rage x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)