Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's working on a UE4 title

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
- Brian Leleux has been a "Lighting Artist" at Obsidian since July 2015.

- In November 2016 he registers on UE4 forums and starts discussing lighting a lot. Ever since, he regularly posts on UE4 forums a few times a month to discuss the subject. Clearly, his current job requires him to work with UE4.

- I'm not going to read through all his posts, but he's clearly familiar with updating UE4 projects to newer versions as newer engine versions come out. His knowledge of version changes is extensive. This isn't some idle interest. He reads updates carefully and experiments with the changes. It's clearly his job.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Great! That means Tim Cain's full HD 3D geometrical pyramid will be able to cast dynamic volumetric shadow and based on which side it leaned more you'll know in what of overall 3 stats (might be downsized to 2) you currently excel.

It will truly be an unreal 4 real rpg system and game.

Still naively optimistic about it. I deserve my hopes for this game to be raped by the game. Tim will deliver, one way or another. :mixedemotions:

Oh and what happened with this:

Anyway, it took 30 hours on three flights to get back to Los Angeles from Croatia, so I am operating with severe jet lag. I will try to explain this more later.

latest

...:gangster: (Codex, talk to the hand, the one which just jerked off my husband and then wrote best geometric rpg system ever, you bunch of ungrateful faggots!)

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yeah I saw those already. He goes there a bit more in detail but it's all still vague with a hint of decline. He is trying to solve some issues while creating new and perhaps not even solving completely old ones.

Also: wasn't posted on prestigious Codex = doesn't count.

And what's with Josh Sawyer avoiding this place like us kuffars avoid now parts of Paris? I understand he might have here... a warm welcome but cmon. He posts everywhere but here. Every Tim Cain's post was showered with brofists and there would be occasional edgy comment or two. Maybe that's why Cain hasn't posted since. Still recovering from the fisting received by Codex...

Quillon

Arcane
And what's with Josh Sawyer avoiding this place like us kuffars avoid now parts of Paris? I understand he might have here... a warm welcome but cmon. He posts everywhere but here. Every Tim Cain's post was showered with brofists and there would be occasional edgy comment or two. Maybe that's why Cain hasn't posted since. Still recovering from the fisting received by Codex...

He said in the recent interview that he is observing and doesn't want to interfere with Codex' natural habitat. If he starts to post here, every Josh haters' tone will change and they will shower him with brofists, which will prevent him from getting quality feedback :obviously:

sudden realization: Josh is Codex' Big Brother.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He posts here poorly disguised as Roguey.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
He said in the recent interview that he is observing and doesn't want to interfere with Codex' natural habitat. If he starts to post here, every Josh haters' tone will change and they will shower him with brofists, which will prevent him from getting quality feedback :obviously:

sudden realization: Josh is Codex' Big Brother.

So that would fall under Sawyerian Directive rule, prohibiting Josh from interfering with the internal development of Codexian civilization.
As always, balanced response by Josh. Didn't expect anything more unbalanced from him.:balance:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Great! That means Tim Cain's full HD 3D geometrical pyramid will be able to cast dynamic volumetric shadow and based on which side it leaned more you'll know in what of overall 3 stats (might be downsized to 2) you currently excel.

1 stat is the best stat design. Call it "coolness" and have it represented by a staircase that spins constantly while dynamic lighting effects are applied. You can even buy DLCs that change the lighting effects; e.g. disco lighting, mood lighting, lightning, sunrise, etc. You should be able to change the material the staircase is made of as well; wood, metal, plastic, gold (reserved for 100% completion), etc.

cannondwarf

Scholar

1 stat is the best stat design. Call it "coolness" and have it represented by a staircase that spins constantly while dynamic lighting effects are applied. You can even buy DLCs that change the lighting effects; e.g. disco lighting, mood lighting, lightning, sunrise, etc. You should be able to change the material the staircase is made of as well; wood, metal, plastic, gold (reserved for 100% completion), etc.
Why do you consistently make shit posts about things no one cares about? You don't add anything to the discussion, and you're not funny either. Why?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does it mean that 25% of profits will go to the company that makes Unreal Tournaments? At least something good will come out of another Obsidian turd.

Quillon

Arcane
Codex said:
Since the collapse of Troika, have there been any games with an art style that appealed to you as an artist? If so, what are they?
Boyarsky said:
· Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite - felt very akin to the FO/Arcanum aesthetic to me in a lot of ways, and I obviously have a lot of love for both the retro and steampunk genres.

· Dishonored - great job of stylization over photorealism, making their characters and world realistic and painterly at the same time (something we tried and failed to do with our characters in Vampire), plus an interestingly different take on a steampunk type world.

Hope he doesn't take unrealistic triangular body proportions & cartoonish faces from these games. Also characters in Dishonored fell like inflatable dolls, when slashed it felt like cutting through paper. Other than that rest of the art related stuff is fine, tho Bloomshock Infinite had way too much bloom.

So, Bloodlines 2 will be in Unreal Engine 4, eh? I can dig it.

Hopefully UE4 is more mature at this point than Source Engine was in 2004.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I am always surprised when I read about sexism in CRPG's. I thought by adding gender-based stat adjustments to Arcanum, we would be eliminating this issue, since it made the sexes different but not unbalanced. I guess many people disagree. In any case, here is something I wrote over a year ago, when Arcanum first shipped and people were discussing the topic.

----

As for the history of this decision, we didn't have this in the original game design specifications. We only had the race adjustments. We had hoped that the game would contain a great deal of content that would allow people playing different genders to have different experiences, and we did end up with some. For example, there are quests that have different solutions depending on if you are a man or a woman, and many dialogs take into account gender difference too. But as the game progressed, the difference seemed superficial.

That bothered some of us at Troika. We had wanted every stat to mean something in the game. Otherwise, why have it? If a male human fighter and a female human fighter have the exact same experience in the game, why even have both in the game? It takes a TREMENDOUS amount of art resources to make the gender-specific art animations, which was the main reason we dropped the gnome and halfling females from the game (we had planned from the beginning to not include dwarf or half-ogre females, for story reasons).

So it was during our balance phase that this issue came up. We had already deleted or replaced some skills and spells that were not being used, and to be honest, I was the person who pointed out that the gender stat seemed to do very little in our game other than determine whether the player was called "ma'am" or "sir". True, there were a handful of quests that had different solutions based on gender, but none of them were main-story arc quests, and there were not many of them.

At this point, someone suggested giving stat adjustments to gender, just like we did for race. Our initial reaction was "we can't do that, people won't expect to see that, no other game does that". But the more we thought about it, the more we realized that it fit our philosophy of making every choice matter. Gender should be more than just different art and a different title. Someone playing a male character and a female character should feel a difference between them.

But like all of our other adjustments, we wanted it to be balanced. Neither gender should be better, but we liked the idea of them being different. The first idea was a bonus tied into gender, so depending on which gender you picked, you got a bonus to some stat. But then someone pointed out that we didn't have female choices for four of the races, so you would always get the male bonus. So someone else said "Why not have a balanced adjustment for just females? A plus and a minus, so they are not better or worse but certainly different?". We played around with the idea and several adjustments, and everyone liked the "+1 constitution, -1 strength" adjustments. It especially made sense with the elves, who were matriarchal and stong magic-users. So we added it, along with a background to get rid of it if someone didn't like it.

And some people heard about this change and hated it.

I must admit I don't understand most of the objections. We didn't make one gender better than the other, we just made them different. We didn't pidgeon-hole any gender, since the ultimate potential is the same for both genders. It wasn't a decision made by a bunch of anti-feminist males, as all of the women here liked the idea and a few of the men were hesitant (if only because they were afraid of people misunderstanding the change, not because they didn't like the change itself). We simply made genders different.

Personally, I am offended by games that don't let me choose gender, or that treat different genders as identical, as if there is no difference between them. Difference is NOT a bad thing. Having men and women be the same is as bad as having elves and humans be the same. Elves are NOT pointy-eared humans. Women are NOT men with different art. But because we made them different doesn't mean elves are the race of choice or that women are better characters to play than men. They are just different.

I guess it all boils down to this: Troika wants every choice you make in the game to matter and to affect something. We don't care if the effect is good, bad or neutral, but we want the choice to make the game feel different for the chooser. Gender did not have this effect until we added the stat adjustments.

Can we expect the same amount of dedication towards achieving and accurately displaying gender and racial differences in both gameplay and story from Tim Cain in his upcoming magnum geometric opus?

Tim Cain from 2002 would surely have quite a fun time in 2017. California, college campuses, Neogaf, reddit, mainstream media etc. Then again who from the past or problematic individual from present wouldn't?

I just hope for the sake of his reputation on Neogaf and among mainstream gaming jurnalists that future game won't be that problematic nor that complex. It should be a fun, inviting, inclusive, easy to understand funhouse!
Wooden-Geometry-Shapes-Matching-Learning-House-Baby-Toys-For-Children-1-3-years-old-Kids-Educational.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
PoE would definitely be better if UT announcer growled MONSTER KILL!!!! every time you killed an enemy

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
but is there walking?
Of course. How's target audience supposed to identify with their characters if all they can do is run and never get tired.

Introducing signs telling you this is walking area or you're only allowed here to run 2 km/h could make things easier. Break the rules of pedestrian traffic and suffer consequences! C&C

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom