Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian's Third Game

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Werewolf would be good too. Better yet, bring the whole WoD to life and let me play whichever type of character I prefer.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
WOD discontinued most of their games. They're now focusing on new Vampire and Mage. Mage is cool, but it wouldn't work very well in a constrained CRPG.

Sammael

Liturgist
KotOR3 is not a BioWare license, it's a LucasArts license.

Likewise, BG3 and (presumably now) IWD3 also aren't BioWare or IPLY licenses (the name "Icewind Dale" wasn't Interplay's to begin with), but Atari licenses.

Everything is a possibility.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Um, Sammael, it was also said that the new project was NOT a sequel which counts out KOTOR3 BG3, or IWD3.

Visbhume

Prophet
Maybe it is a prequel ? KOTOR: The phantom menace. BG: The Time of Troubles.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Visbhume said:
BG: The Time of Troubles.

A game where you play as Bhaal and go about impregnating females of varoius species sounds good. Though I think I'll use the Artificial God Insemination special ability when I get around to knocking up female Yetis.

Visbhume

Prophet
Role-Player said:
A game where you play as Bhaal and go about impregnating females of varoius species sounds good. Though I think I'll use the Artificial God Insemination special ability when I get around to knocking up female Yetis.

Why that type of games don't exist (outside of Japan) ? Where is the innovation in the industry ?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah I'm guessing the not a sequal answer, with the smiley face after it, means it's a prequal, otherwise how could it be a SLAM DUNK! ?

Mimir

Novice
I would really love to see a science firction RPG, especially a hard sci-fi setting like Transhuman Space.

Sammael

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Um, Sammael, it was also said that the new project was NOT a sequel which counts out KOTOR3 BG3, or IWD3.
TBH was not a sequel of BG in any way, shape, or form, yet it had the name "Baldur's Gate" in its title.

Al right, I am probably wrong, but this wouldn't be the first time devs used semantics to confuse the audience.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
TBH was a sequel of BG3. It doesn't matter if it didn't continue the story. It was gonna be called BG3. Afterall, FF8 has nothing really to do with FF7; but it very much a sequel. A sequel is a continuation of a series. If Obsidian is trying to play semantics like you suggest they might be; it be them looking silly. Of course, chances are in the long run, I'd buy it, but it be something else to whine about. <>

Petey_the_Skid

Liturgist
Exitium said:
WOD discontinued most of their games. They're now focusing on new Vampire and Mage. Mage is cool, but it wouldn't work very well in a constrained CRPG.

Actually no they didn't, they just rewrote all the rules and are just releasing new editions. Sort of the same thing when WOTC took 2nd ed D&D and rewrote it into the D20 system.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Really? Oh. I thought they killed everything besides their fantasy game, Mage and Vampire when I went to their website and saw only those 3 there.

Avin

Liturgist
nope, petey, they changed the world. you won't find the old clans in it.

from AD&D to 3.0 there were not class or alignment changes in dungeons and dragons.

i saw the new vampire and the changes in the world are bigger than in rules.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
What they did was they had their previous game lines reach the apocalypse they've been talking about and then they remade their Vampire, Mage, and Werewolf lines.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Sammael said:
KotOR3 is not a BioWare license, it's a LucasArts license.

Likewise, BG3 and (presumably now) IWD3 also aren't BioWare or IPLY licenses (the name "Icewind Dale" wasn't Interplay's to begin with), but Atari licenses.

Everything is a possibility.

I agree with this line of thinking...there's a good chance it's something "new" but those comments still give plenty of wiggle room. My wild guess is they aren't finished with "Knights of the whatever" yet.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I would like to see a unique setting. The most hackneyed is midieval fantasy setting. There can be slight derivations on it to make the setting more interesting, like Morrowind, or it can be done in a very unique way to be really interesting, like Planescape. More often, however, it is just plain trite.

Beyond fantasy, I'm open to a lot of stuff. Steam punk, not so much, but more so than anything midieval fantasy. Beyond that, Sci-Fi could be intersting, if its done in a unique format. Post Apocalypse would be awesome, but not likely. Of course, all this speculation is probably worthless, since Obsidian ubdoubtedly has already done the concept art and write ups.

However, I'm more a its what you do with the setting than the setting itself. FFVII could be described as steam punk, but was a lousy addition to the RPG genre, traumatic Aerith death scene not forgotten. Just not more of the same, OK.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Visbhume said:
Cyberpunk is a derelict from the 80s. It sucks big time. Anybody who likes cyberpunk is an unrepentant onanist self-abuser.
Spoken like a truly pretentious prick, BRAVO! Seems to me The Matrix series fits quite tidily underneath the umbrella of cyberpunk. Not to mention A Scanner Darkly which is currently in Post-Production as far as I know. CyberPunk is alive and well, you're just biased.

And just as an FYI, next time you want to reach for your older sister's SAT guide for a 5$ word to throw around on a message board try using it correctly. As an adjective it's onanistic. ROOFLES!

As for Obsidian's next project, hopefully they develop their own I.P. and stay away from the beaten path.

Visbhume

Prophet
Killzig said:
Not to mention A Scanner Darkly which is currently in Post-Production as far as I know.
A Scanner Darkly is not cyberpunk. And yes, I admit I'm biased against it (except for Blade Runner and Neuromancer). All the Matrix movies sucked, including the first one.

Also, I am ashamed of my improper use of the word "onanist". :oops: I, of all people, should have known its proper usage (that doesn't mean I like cyberpunk, however).

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Visbhume said:
A Scanner Darkly is not cyberpunk. And yes, I admit I'm biased against it (except for Blade Runner and Neuromancer).

While I'm not familiar with A Scanner Darkly, I have a hard time considering Blade Runner a cyberpunk film, for the simple fact that cyberspace - a crucial aspect of cyberpunk and the main element that helps distinguish cyberpunk from standard science-fiction - isn't there. While there's definetely the atmosphere and elements of it in Blade Runner, it always seems more apropriate to call itscience fiction and not cyberpunk.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Visbhume said:
A Scanner Darkly is not cyberpunk. And yes, I admit I'm biased against it (except for Blade Runner and Neuromancer). All the Matrix movies sucked, including the first one.
Way to ignore the bit about The Matrix!

Anyways, what about ASD isn't cyberpunk to you? The Scramble Suits? the digital dystopia? The network of cameras watching your movements? It might not be by the numbers cyber punk but there are obvious cyber punk themes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom