Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian's Third Game

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

Besides the upcoming Neverwinter Nights 2 and the already released Star Wars: KOTOR - Revenge of the Sith, Obsidian's <b>John Morgan</b> states on the <a href=http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=28856&st=75>Obsidian Forum</a> that they are currently in pre-production of their third game. Most interesting is his comment about it not being a Bioware hand-me-down.
<br>
<blockquote>Obsidian Entertainment is indeed working on a third project. All I can really say is that it's in a state of pre-production at the moment and it is not a Bioware license.</blockquote>
<br>
He has also clarified that it is NOT a sequel, either.
<br>
<blockquote>It's not a sequel ;)</blockquote>
<br>
Thanks to <b>NeverwinterKnight</b> for pointing this out.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
DarkUnderlord said:
Vampire: The Masquerade - Obsidian Edition.
I'd actually support that. But it's a remake and I guess that's pretty much a sequel.

Good for Obsidian I guess. Breaking out from the tyranny of BioWare and making something for themselves.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
You'll likely see one when you least expect it, but it'll probably take some time.

In any case I wish the best of luck to their project. I just hope it won't fall on the easy deathrap of being another medieval fantasy, D&D-esque game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Exitium said:
I do not ever want to see another Vampire game.
Really? And why is that?

Any setting is good. It's how it turns out that's important. Surely there's not been too many bad vamp games to make you lose your faith?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Because the Vampire setting is fucking gay. Give me sci-fi, or steampunk, robots, or hell, even dwarves and swords. Anything but that pretentious vampire "we're a secret society living among humans" crap. When I think of Vampires I think of Goths and when I think of goths I think, "man, that's fucking gay."

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I have to say I agree with Rex on that - gimme more steampunk and sci-fi games.

FEARGUS GET THE RIGHTS FOR SHADOWRUN OR A GAME LICENSE FOR GIBSON'S NEUROMANCER.

'k, I'm done.

DemonKing

Arcane
So basically we can now rule out the following, which were prime contenders:

1. BG3
2. IWD3
3. KOTOR3
4. FO3 (outsourced from Bethesda)

What this doesn't rule out is another D&D game, or maybe something like a "Knights of the New Republic" CRPG.

I have a feeling that Bio will be heavily involved in BG3 anyway - perhaps it'll utilise the DA engine.

Surlent

Liturgist
I got enough vamps in BL though it was good game. Grim futuristic settings are now the way to go, post modern cyberpunk ala Deus Ex or far future in sense of warhammer 40k for example, hell even that good ol post apoc goes.

But yay for Feargus. Hope it's pure original IP instead of license game. The guy manages to stand on his own feet, impressive Feargus. Shame to tell ya, but these kinda news break his streed cred as Bio's lap dog. :P

Noviere

Novice
Exitium said:
Because the Vampire setting is fucking gay. Give me sci-fi, or steampunk, robots, or hell, even dwarves and swords. Anything but that pretentious vampire "we're a secret society living among humans" crap. When I think of Vampires I think of Goths and when I think of goths I think, "man, that's fucking gay."
When I hear someone say "that's gay," I think "man, that person cant be older than 15."

Balor

Arcane
Derelict? Well, even if it's outdated, remeber fantasy. Now THAT's outdated! Put people love it.
Same here, I guess.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I don't see what's wrong with the Vampire setting. I liked it in Bloodlines.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Cyberpunk is a derelict from the 80s.
I guess that's why The Baroque Cycle and Otherland are among the best selling fantasy/sci-fi novels available right now.

It sucks big time. Anybody who likes cyberpunk is an unrepentant onanist self-abuser.
You couldn't be a more obvious troll even if you tried.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I liked Vampire's setting. More than that, I have a friend who used to dislike rpgs, said they were boring and that you talk too much (of, course, he finished Diablo 2 twice ... :roll: ). When he saw me play Vampire, he wanted to give it a try and he really liked it (probably one good reason for this was that it was entirely voice-acted and he didn't have to read anything... but anyway). After that I got him to play KOTOR 1 & 2 and he liked those too. Now I'm trying to convince him to try BG2 by telling him that it's more action-oriented than Fallout2, which he finished, but didn't enjoy that much (too much reading, I guess...)

Avin

Liturgist
we need a decent DEADLANDS game.

come on feargus, you can do it... pretty please?

there was on deadlands in development some time ago... i don't know what happened to it.

btw, vampire setting is not gay, althought i'd reather play steampunk and cyberpunk.

for the old WOD the only game i really care about is mage... but this is an impossible conversion from p&p to pc.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Out of the old world of darkness games I think Wraith would also make for a good crpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom