Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Actually they do more than Boo did in the BGs, so I'd call it an improvement if anything :P

In the sense that they don't annoyingly take up an inventoryslot? ;)

Maybe those pets are not entirely useless. Have you heard that camping resources are limited?:P

I'll name my pig Grunker before I roast her.

:butthurt:

I'll name mine Haba and cherish it forever :love:

(I don't get a backers pet though :( )

garren

Arcane
Patron
Queues would be shit because you would need to constantly cancel half of your actions when you perform something in combat. Keep it simple, a character should immediately do whatever you order him to, cancelling other stuff in the process. With queues stuff is always much more of a hassle and quite frankly, shit.

AI should do simple common sense stuff, like attacking nearest enemy when their old target dies, while leaving spellcasting and ability usage to the player (the tactical stuff)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Some RTS games have a shift-queue (like in Warcraft 3 / DotA / DotA 2 ) - blink + stun etc

These games however use cooldowns and the actions are fairly repetitive, PE has a semi-vancian system so you use your Escape + Sneak Attack combo and that's it.

Also those games are like super quick, PE has recovery time so you've got a delay between your next two actions anyway.

Arkeus

Arcane
You don't have to have a queueing system where you have to unqueue actions though. Just have the queue be optional, triggered by using a modifier key, and the default is to clear the queue and put in a new action.
You have to unqueue actions when the tactical positioning/threat of the battlefield change. It doesn't matter how you queue stuff and whether it's manual or not, you are basically advocating that the gameplay should not have a tactical element at all (E.G, should never surprise you), because queuing can only work when there is no tactical challenge (unless you are talking 'building your base' stuff in RTS, but that's strategic play, not tactical).

Raggg

Novice
You don't have to have a queueing system where you have to unqueue actions though. Just have the queue be optional, triggered by using a modifier key, and the default is to clear the queue and put in a new action.
You have to unqueue actions when the tactical positioning/threat of the battlefield change. It doesn't matter how you queue stuff and whether it's manual or not, you are basically advocating that the gameplay should not have a tactical element at all (E.G, should never surprise you), because queuing can only work when there is no tactical challenge (unless you are talking 'building your base' stuff in RTS, but that's strategic play, not tactical).
You're off in fantasy land arguing against some weird idea of what a queue is. All we're talking about here is the ability to hold down shift and make your guy cast a nuke right after he casts his buff, or move to a point then cast a spell. This doesn't have to affect the rest of the game at all, you can simply add it onto what's already there.

Raggg

Novice
Like OK, let's say you queue two spells and then you figure out that actually you don't want to take the second action at all. You can simply cancel it, or if you don't like queueing don't use it at all. I fail to see the downside here.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Gamestar.de preview

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/pilla.../news/pillars_of_eternity,48834,3059000.html#

DAT_PAINTOVER

944x531.jpg

4MB PNG OF ABOVE IMAGE

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
There's more!

600x338.jpg

600x338.jpg

600x338.jpg

To download the 4MB PNG files, remove the image part of the link to the 3536363636/ and it will download a "download" file. Open that in your image viewing software.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The shot of the different portraits in Sensuki's link looked very nice.

I was worried when I saw that all the races had the same godlike face, but it looks like you can heavily customize it later.

My only real disappointment so far is the aumau's (I do not even remember the name) appearance in character creation. The final version looks different compared to the concept drawing/model. Then again, I do not plan on picking that race.

Ninjerk

Arcane
You should be able to queue up actions like in an RTS. I can't think of any good reason why wouldn't have that.
Ok, let's give you some:

1°) AoE and even CC abilities mean that you can't queue actions without constantly having to unqueue them, as not only enemy moves, but status effect means you need to quickly change your tactics. Having action queuing will mean that the tactical elements of the game will need to be lessened in order not to make the queuing an actual detriment/hassle for the player.

2°) Having queuing action will institute a "use abilities all the time" reflex from the player, and it doesn't mesh well at all with semi-Vancian magic. This means that players will want to rest more and more and more, and it will completely skew the game's balance.
Luckily we have pause to help with all that :troll:

Sensuki

Arcane
Party AI is indeed bugged:

BAdler said:
Sensuki said:
There's some pretty glaring AI issues.

Characters have no idle auto-attack.
Characters aren't attacking the next enemy after they kill one.

etc etc
This is a bug that crept in before the Gamescom build. We didn't have time to fix it.

For some reason characters are not autoattacking and if a player is given an ability/spell command they are "forgetting" to autoattack afterwards. It will be fixed shortly, but I am not sure if it will be in for the first iteration of the Backer Beta. may have to wait a couple of weeks depending on how complicated the fix is.

Arkeus

Arcane
Luckily we have pause to help with all that :troll:
Pretty much, yes. RWTP presupposes not having queues, as pause is used in order to react to new threats and challenges, and queues are basically "you can predict what's going to happen and nothing is threatening you".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Party AI is indeed bugged:

BAdler said:
Sensuki said:
There's some pretty glaring AI issues.

Characters have no idle auto-attack.
Characters aren't attacking the next enemy after they kill one.

etc etc
This is a bug that crept in before the Gamescom build. We didn't have time to fix it.

For some reason characters are not autoattacking and if a player is given an ability/spell command they are "forgetting" to autoattack afterwards. It will be fixed shortly, but I am not sure if it will be in for the first iteration of the Backer Beta. may have to wait a couple of weeks depending on how complicated the fix is.

WEEKS, huh? I see that Obsidian isn't set up to do rapid-fire hotfixes. That adds more weight to their fear of doing Early Access.

Sensuki

Arcane
They've only really got one or two people that can work on bugs like that - Adam and Steve. Adam is in Germany atm and Steve is probably doing the new pathfinding code atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom