Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

polo

Magister
BTW, you talk about the curve in the plate mail, but is it noticeable ingame? Or just in the char creation screen?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, you talk about the curve in the plate mail, but is it noticeable ingame? Or just in the char creation screen?

This is the Codex, do you really think we're arguing about something important?? :P

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I actually noticed it in-game on the female orlan in Brigandine first, she looked like a man. The chain mail version in the CC looks great though.

Lhynn

Arcane
You cannot call PoE banal and defend the lore in Forgotten Realms with a straight face Lhynn. I refuse to believe that anyone is that blind.
But i didnt call PoE banal, well, i did, but i took it back. and FR lore is pretty interesting and fun, a place id wanna go adventure, it also has some pretty awesome places, like weve seen in baldurs gate 2 with the underdark or in MotB.

Are you serious? 'Only rich people can afford resurrection' is the very definition of fantasy made mundane. Which isn't a bad thing (in fact, a 'magic is mundane' approach can be very interesting), but you certainly insist it is. More importantly, a cRPG where characters can learn Raise Dead or get a temple priest to cast it, will inevitably have resurrections in abundance.
Dude, you are trying to argue that a setting were almost the entirety of the world cannot access something makes that something mundane?
I may have said some bullshit a few pages ago that came from making assumptions, but im not wrong on this one, FR has a superior setting than PoE for a life of adventures.

If a professional assassin wants to give you a permanent dead, he only needs to take a couple extra steps when murdering someone, if that has extremely rich and powerful friends.
If you die of old age, you cant be brought back, if no one can access your remains you cant be brought back, if you get killed by some spells or poisons or magical items you cant be brought back. And we are talking about adventurers here, dying is expected, it is not a risk of the profession, its almost a fucking guarantee, there are life extending elixirs and some other wonderful and magical things, but they are outside the reach of most population.

So yes, FR manages to be high fantasy without making magic something mundane or common. Your starting adventuring party wont have any magical items, and maybe one or two low level spells a day, and that means you trained for years for that shit, you can still die of a single hit no matter who you are and no one is bringing a newbie adventurer back.

Not even defending the shitty setting (well, i am now, because your criticisms are fucking wrong), its more like im attacking PoE for being utterly boring.

Hormalakh

Magister
Goddamn those aumaua are ugly. Seriously...crayon drawings would have been better. Fire godlike looks like he was wearing clown make-up before his face was burned off.

Rake

Arcane
:stupid:
You weren't trolling, you actualy believe that shit, don't you?
First of all, your examples of FR "interesting" periods are shit. I mean, "a meteor strikes a city", "there is a plague", "ships are mysteriously vanishing". Seriously? Care to explain why those events can't happen in the PoE setting and are proof of FR originality? ffs, i can make you a dozen of such "events/hooks" in 5 minutes. They aren't "qualities" of the setting, they are random events that happened in the setting, and banal ones at that.

I fail to see how a setting where the people doesn't know what the gods truly are, that all gods aren't the same and even the gods themselves don't know what each of them is, is more uninteresting than a setting where we know exactly what gods are, who they are and their divine rank, who created them, each one divine champion, and what color underwear each one wears.

As for magic not being mundane in FG, it was answered by other posters. Your whole" but random peasands can't afford resurection", plus magic is magical because only a select few can use it( ignoring the fact that there are more spellcasters in FR than there are farmers) is wrong because you are under the faulse assumption that every random vilager in PoE world will be able able to punch through walls, teleport around and shoot lightning bolts to their chicken. You ignored the whole "depending on the power of your soul, and the PC and his companions souls are Special" Depending of how it is used, PoE's world could have way less "superhumans" running around than FR does, not to mention the "magic" items than are mass produced in FR. That spellcasting is just one of the various ways magic manifests instead of the sole way makes it more, not less "magical".

As for PoE world being bad because it's history reminds "reading a history book" as opposed to EPIC random BS happening around, i don't know what to say. Propably that you just have shit taste and leave it at that.

Not even defending PoE setting (well, i am now, because your criticisms are fucking wrong) because we know almost nothing about it , its more like im attacking FR for being an utter clusterfuck, with no theme, reason or any thought put behind his creation, except throwing a ton of disjointed concepts together and leaving it at that.

Lhynn

Arcane
:stupid:
You weren't trolling, you actualy believe that shit, don't you?
First of all, your examples of FR "interesting" periods are shit. I mean, "a meteor strikes a city", "there is a plague", "ships are mysteriously vanishing". Seriously? Care to explain why those events can't happen in the PoE setting and are proof of FR originality? ffs, i can make you a dozen of such "events/hooks" in 5 minutes. They aren't "qualities" of the setting, they are random events that happened in the setting, and banal ones at that.

I fail to see how a setting where the people doesn't know what the gods truly are, that all gods aren't the same and even the gods themselves don't know what each of them is, is more uninteresting than a setting where we know exactly what gods are, who they are and their divine rank, who created them, each one divine champion, and what color underwear each one wears.

As for magic not being mundane in FG, it was answered by other posters. Your whole" but random peasands can't afford resurection", plus magic is magical because only a select few can use it( ignoring the fact that there are more spellcasters in FR than there are farmers) is wrong because you are under the faulse assumption that every random vilager in PoE world will be able able to punch through walls, teleport around and shoot lightning bolts to their chicken. You ignored the whole "depending on the power of your soul, and the PC and his companions souls are Special" Depending of how it is used, PoE's world could have way less "superhumans" running around than FR does, not to mention the "magic" items than are mass produced in FR. That spellcasting is just one of the various ways magic manifests instead of the sole way makes it more, not less "magical".

As for PoE world being bad because it's history reminds "reading a history book" as opposed to EPIC random BS happening around, i don't know what to say. Propably that you just have shit taste and leave it at that.

Not even defending PoE setting (well, i am now, because your criticisms are fucking wrong) because we know almost nothing about it , its more like im attacking FR for being an utter clusterfuck, with no theme, reason or any thought put behind his creation, except throwing a ton of disjointed concepts together and leaving it at that.
well, first, i believe FR is pretty inane, but it does have a lot of very good adventure hooks, the ones you just named are awful, but its not my fault games dev cannot into the fucking interesting parts of the setting-

The ones i quoted are much more interesting and where picked at random, here, have a go at it.
You only have info on the gods because it is printed in books, now abundance of information = bad? give me a fucking break Rake. Plus a lot of gods are known by many names, names not even their followers know, stop confusing meta knowledge with common knowledge.

As i quoted, it says that anyone with even a fraction of a soul can achieve supah powars given enough martial training. Magic items being mass produced does not mean they are readily available for anyone, an elite mercenary group can maybe have a few +1 swords lying around and a couple of healing potions, maybe a lvl 2-3 priest and a wizard accompanying them. They are not easy to come by, they cost more than freaking siege weapons and people will murder you for them.
You are full of preconceptions against FR that are simply not true. It is a dumb setting, it was made for teenagers, it has mary sues up the ass, but it also has tons more interesting ideas than PoE does.

ahh shit, this whole argument is pointless, you are going to keep on hating FR out of ignorance instead of hating with reason like i do, and that will make you defend PoEs setting, because at least PoE setting doesnt have anything retarded, but thats my point really, Eoras world is p. boring, nothing to hate about it, nothing to love about it, nothing to comment on but the faces of some dudes that cant fuck.

Rake

Arcane
  • The Twelve Nights of Fire: The elven realm of Uvaeren is destroyed by a falling star whose impact opens a 100-mile-long and 30-mile-wide clearing in Cormanthor's treeline. The Coronal and nearly all of its noble houses die instantly or during the conflagration. Few Uvaeranni escape to the safety of deeper Arcorar, aside from those few dozen away from the realm during this disaster.

c. -4900
  • Plague hits Calimport and Almraiven. Known as the Warrior's Plague, for the berserk rages and battle madness in those afflicted; most casualties among military forces.

• Ships from Haunghdannar sent to the fortress of Sonnmorndin begin to disappear. All contact is lost with this outpost of the Sailors of the Mountainous Waves.

• The palace of the Bakkal of Calimport erupts in flames, ending that corrupt and vicious dynasty. The fires spread and destroy the western half of Calimport.
They were your own examples, not mine. I agree they were awful though, even if you mentioned them as examples of interesting history.

You only have info on the gods because it is printed in books, now abundance of information = bad? give me a fucking break Rake. Plus a lot of gods are known by many names, names not even their followers know, stop confusing meta knowledge with common knowledge.
Absolutely irrelevant. You claimed that PoE setting was uninteresting (to RPG players i guess) while FR isn't.
As the goal of the setting is to be interesting to players, it's the player's knowledge that is importand. What is common knowledge among the people in the setting doesn't matter one bit.

Magic items being mass produced does not mean they are readily available for anyone, an elite mercenary group can maybe have a few +1 swords lying around and a couple of healing potions, maybe a lvl 2-3 priest and a wizard accompanying them. They are not easy to come by, they cost more than freaking siege weapons and people will murder you for them.
Bullshit. I have read Forgotten Realms books, and even random thief guilds in backwater sities have a couple of +1 Weapons and healing potions. Plus, the very fact they are sold in fucking shops makes any arguement that magic isn't mundane completely retarded. I can't buy 15 Ferraries, but that doesn't means that a Ferrari is something mysterious and magical, just something mundane that happens to be excpensive.

you are going to keep on hating FR out of ignorance
I don't hate Forgotten Realms, and while i don't care about P&P, i own every Forgotten Realm novel there is (in my defense, i didn't bought any of them and i haven't read half of them, a friend just gave me a torrent with the books and i use them as pop-corn reading between other books), so i know actualy much about the setting.
FR is good for what it is and i wouln't even say it's boring(well, Sword Coast and Cormyr certainly are). Areas like Thay, Rashemen, Halruua, Mazdica etc. are interesting enough by themselves, they just don't belong to the same setting.

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
FR and basically any DnD setting are stupid and not well thought out. Just think about the world where things like Charm Person, Domination, Shapeshift etc. etc. exist/are not that much special. That kind of world would simply ceased to exist in any rational way unless we're talking total control in hands of few (Some Warhammer 40K with "Holly Emperor" kind of thing). It's so fucking stupid that you're forced to question imershun/intelect of people designing this stuff... Oh and don't make me start about theology... Ridiculous! but frankly, I don't give a shit cause it's good for what it is (gaming). Every DnD setting besides Planescape is just a shade of shit (yes, Dark Sun included).

Lhynn

Arcane
Ops, i didnt even look at the examples, just picked 4 at random, that is embarrassing (a falling star and a palace burning and killing everyone in it of a powerful dynasty sounds p. cool tho, i would like adventures with that set up). Either way my point stands, lots of interesting shit going on in FR, none in PoE.

Also how do you propose we inform the DMs about the gods of the setting they are DMing? do we set up an underground web page to distribute that knowledge to them and only them?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ops, i didnt even look at the examples, just picked 4 at random, that is embarrassing (a falling star and a palace burning and killing everyone in it of a powerful dynasty sounds p. cool tho, i would like adventures with that set up). Either way my point stands, lots of interesting shit going on in FR, none in PoE. a palace
:roll:

Lhynn

Arcane
Ops, i didnt even look at the examples, just picked 4 at random, that is embarrassing (a falling star and a palace burning and killing everyone in it of a powerful dynasty sounds p. cool tho, i would like adventures with that set up). Either way my point stands, lots of interesting shit going on in FR, none in PoE. a palace
:roll:
:argh:

Rake

Arcane
instead of hating with reason like i do,
:kingcomrade:

and that will make you defend PoEs setting, because at least PoE setting doesnt have anything retarded, but thats my point really, Eoras world is p. boring, nothing to hate about it, nothing to love about it, nothing to comment on but the faces of some dudes that cant fuck.
I was not defending PoE. My whole point is that we don't know enough to say if PoE has an interesting setting or not, but from the little pieces we got so far it's more coherent and beats Forgotten Realms in all levels. But that doesn't mean much since simple snipets of lore can be misleading and i will wait until the game is out to give my opinion.
Also read my edit of my previous post

Lhynn

Arcane
instead of hating with reason like i do,
:kingcomrade:

and that will make you defend PoEs setting, because at least PoE setting doesnt have anything retarded, but thats my point really, Eoras world is p. boring, nothing to hate about it, nothing to love about it, nothing to comment on but the faces of some dudes that cant fuck.
I was not defending PoE. My whole point is that we don't know enough to say if PoE has an interesting setting or not, but from the little pieces we got so far it's more coherent and beats Forgotten Realms in all levels. But that doesn't mean much since simple snipets of lore can be misleading and i will wait until the game is out to give my opinion.
Also read my edit of my previous post
What we do know is pretty uninteresting. You make a good point about expensive not meaning its mysterious, but with the amount of ruins and lost knowledge/magical items of another era you can find id say it makes it a pretty nice place to explore.

I do hate FR, i hate dritzz, i hate elminster, i hate neverwinter, i hate waterdeep, i hate the red wizards, i hate so many awful things that setting imposes on the player, but credit where credit is due, the whole world is a huge bag of plot hooks, everywhere you go something worth looking into is happening, it is a wonderful place to be an adventurer, and old IE games drew from that, they sent you to the spine of the world, or to the kua toa kingdom (?), to the underdark, to the center of the multiverse, to elemental planes.

As for magic being common in FR, perhaps you are right, i got some flashbacks of magical items being used by the nobility and by some professionals to make their craft better. But i never felt magic to be mundane in that setting.

Ascensa

Literate
Forgotten Realms is a hodgepodge of fantasy elements and settings that has been around and added to since the 70's; of course it has a lot of thing in it.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
dafuq did they do to the Aumauas?

Aumaua-heads.jpg

Armor.jpg

Dark Elf

Erudite
You want the feeling that mages are like 1/100,000 people or so, not half the clientel at the local pub.

Lhynn

Arcane
FR and basically any DnD setting are stupid and not well thought out. Just think about the world where things like Charm Person, Domination, Shapeshift etc. etc. exist/are not that much special. That kind of world would simply ceased to exist in any rational way unless we're talking total control in hands of few (Some Warhammer 40K with "Holly Emperor" kind of thing). It's so fucking stupid that you're forced to question imershun/intelect of people designing this stuff... Oh and don't make me start about theology... Ridiculous! but frankly, I don't give a shit cause it's good for what it is (gaming). Every DnD setting besides Planescape is just a shade of shit (yes, Dark Sun included).
Well, the harpers and magical sean connery make sure no one in the entire world is too powerful to dominate the rest.
Funny that you only like the setting that encompasses all the other settings. And that you put Dark Sun in the same bag as the rest when almost the whole poin of the setting is power in the hands of a few and how destructive it can be.
Also protection from evil is your friend.

My favorite DnD setting is Ravenloft, havent had a chance to DM it yet, but two of the characters in my campaing are this close to ending up as lords in that place.

agris

Arcane
Patron
there is something seriously wrong with the aumauaua's facial color that is drowning out the details shown in the render.

How do you pronounce Aumauaua anyway? A-mew-a-ew-a (with each 'a/A' short)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom