Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Duraframe300

Arcane
Isn't MCA in charge of the writing ?

No, Eric Fenstermaker is. But Josh is his boss.

Well, technically most likely MCA is his boss (As CCO), but Josh is the project lead.

If the question is simply who is in charge of creative design (including dialouge writing) its Fenstermaker.

MCA's role is two companions + narrative production related stuff IIRC. Though I imagine the second role has been dialed back since he started his new project.

Makagulfazel

Educated
This is what has become of me after arguing with Volly
260B8332C21DDF4006D0C319070F5E42656C4475

I fit in a much-needed SS2 playthrough.

The dead NPC at the wolves den should be named Lady Veronica Whitmore.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Josh Sawyer ‏@jesawyer 1h

ciphers using whisper of treason, puppetmaster, and ringleader powers at ultra-long range to murder entire dungeons is entertaining BUT

Josh Sawyer ‏@jesawyer 1h

yeah i guess i'll fix that
Typical fun concept-class being overpowered during development and then nerfed to hell in retail.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
sum jes sa quots

Font ligatures is an option, rather than being forced

It is an option, off by default.

People complaining about not being able to completely re-spec NPCs

The reason to not do it that way is that it requires prescience from the player to level up a character class with which they have a 10/11 chance of being unfamiliar. You get Pallegina dropped in your party. You've never used any paladin abilities because you're not playing a paladin, but you're asked to pick talents and/or abilities for the character from 1-?? as though you are making fully informed decisions. It also turns finding a companion into a chore because if you don't advance them as soon as they join the party, you're playing with an extremely vulnerable party member.

For absolutely full control over character advancement, use the Adventurer's Hall.

on druidic forms

I think we still have work to do in terms of progressing the power of our spiritshift forms, but the first step we took is to turn the druid into large anthropomorphic hybrids instead of literally "ur a bear now". Spiritshift forms are much closer to werecreatures than ordinary animals.

You can name your animal companions and

No idea how long it will take to play through, but we have about ~150 maps.

Still no complete play through

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Couple of tweets as well

ciphers using whisper of treason, puppetmaster, and ringleader powers at ultra-long range to murder entire dungeons is entertaining BUT yeah i guess i'll fix that

"this tester found a bug, you won't believe what happened next! repro step 4 made my jaw drop!!"

favorite PoE bug today: enemy ranger's boar companion kept rising from the dead + chasing down party until whole group was slain.

my favorite bug titles are NOUN, QUESTION MARK e.g. "PALADINS???"

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
has anyone at Obsidian addressed the issue with combatants getting stuck in combat?

Athelas

Arcane
Someone should start a thread on the Obsidian forums about the pathfinding issues in the previews to see if Sawyer responds. :M

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm really excited. The Premier League starts on the 16th and this releases on the 18th. I won't be leaving the house for weeks. (Says the guy who has spent 70 hours on D:OS in two weeks.)

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some animal action stuff from Sawyer:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66520-rangers-getting-ranged-attack-animal-companions/?p=1474461

Animal companions in PoE are fundamentally melee-oriented. Most of the ranger's attack abilities can be used with melee as well as ranged attacks, but their base ranged accuracy is +15 (equivalent of +3 in D&D) above their base melee, so they're typically more effective with the animal companion running interference and the ranger using ranged weapons.

I don't think we've talked about the full list of ranger animal companions, but they are (with current bonuses):

* Antelope - Higher defenses.

* Bear - Higher Damage Threshold.

* Boar - Gains Might at low Stamina.

* Lion - Terrifying Roar ability.

* Stag - Carnage ability (like barbarian's, but limited-use)

* Wolf - Faster movement rate.

Sensuki

Arcane
Brandon Adler on the pathfinding code:

The pathfinding and game state code is being completely redone. We have been reworking it since before E3, but it is pretty extensive. Unfortunately, it won't be ready in time for the initial Backer Beta launch. It is about 90% ready, but it needs to be 100% before we can integrate it back into our main code branch. I would expect that it will go into one of our first beta updates.

According to JES: Character backgrounds are dependent on Culture. The slave option is not a valid choice for most of them I don't think.

There's a whiteboard full of stuff here if you can read it: http://instagram.com/p/ragmdmJx0M/

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Once again Roguey Was Right that Josh would not be the one to talk about pathfinding-related matters.

Troika worked on its pathfinding code in ToEE all the way up to release, do better than them, Obs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom