Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I simply don't need to. If you're playing one of those Tactics mods on WTFPWN settings, it's probably worth doing.

You don't need to do many things, but it's good to give the player options. A fine, less obvious example of the use of Kai is maximizing a backstab with a kensai-thief dual, to make it count. I'd be fine with PoE putting in things you can't be assed using, because I like to experiment with builds and combat systems.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I mostly used Kai when I'm playing a dual classed Kensai/Thief to deliver the maximum backstab damage possible, for a plain Kensai yeah, there isn't much incentive to use it.

There's a lot of incentive to put up with a casting time of 2 to turn potential lowly 1dmg into max 10dmg per hit when using a 2handed sword, considering a possible 10% crit chance. A kensai is unarmored, meaning she wants the quick kill. This isn't an "obnoxious, low-impact ability", as Grunker ignorantly calls it. Fisted your post for the mention of Kensai-Thief dual, good to see someone else knows the game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Can you guess what my point is by quoting this bit? ;)

I can, but the issues with *some* of BG2's abilities like that are engine limitation related and some janky P&P to Computer game conversion issues.

I don't really like the idea of all passive and all ability classes. I think degrees of one or the other are more interesting. I've got no issue micro managing six characters. I'm used to playing RTS games and DotA 2 heroes with summons (NP, Lone Druid, Chen, Enchantress, using Necronomicon/HoD).
I agree. There is some moderate degree of micromanagement which is correct (or has the best 'pacing' or 'feel') with RTWP. I like to call it 'macromanagement' but I guess that's just semantics. I don't want almost completely passive characters like non-subclass BG Fighters, on the other hand I don't really want to play Meepo lol.

Edit: Another thing about RTSes and MOBAs is that despite all the micromanagement, you never need to pause. RTWP needs to emulate that - minimize the necessity of pausing by having an efficient UI and giving the players a balance of active options to keep them on their toes without being overloaded.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
There's a lot of incentive to put up with a casting time of 2 to turn potential lowly 1dmg into max 10dmg per hit when using a 2handed sword, considering a possible 10% crit chance. A kensai is unarmored, meaning she wants the quick kill. This isn't an "obnoxious, low-impact ability", as Grunker ignorantly calls it. Fisted your post for the mention of Kensai-Thief dual, good to see someone else knows the game.

A fair point. Thing is, Kensai's melee damage output gets so crazy that I don't think Kai makes a noticeable difference and I'm usually more focused on making the other party member (say Korgan) draw the enemy fire while I flank them with my Kensai. Also, If I'm going two-handed I usually pick staves (I love Staff of Striking and Staff of Ram) which have a 1-6 damage range.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer answers a couple tumbles:

nomahaatman said: Is there going to be some sort of animation or trigger that makes the user know that an effect like "Wild Sprint" is active or not?

There will almost always be a visual effect or animation of some kind. For abilities/spells that are connected to speed of movement or attack — or quick reactions (e.g. Thrust of Tattered Veils) the animation will be very short or it will be a visual effect only.

silkvalley said: Is there any incentive to wear armor parts from the same "weight category" in PoE, other than style? The drawback of heavier armor (body slot) is slower action speed, but what about helmets, boots and gloves? Leather armor + plate boots and gloves + barbute vs fully leather; any systemic differences?

PoE uses a D&D-style “body only” armor system. Items equipped in the hand/feet/head slots can be magic items, but do not contribute directly to Damage Threshold like armor does.

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/

ghoulishvisage said: What made you guys decide to not include the potential extra companions despite the fact that the backers seemed largely for it?

Timeline logistics, mostly. The writing schedule for additional companions wouldn’t line up well with when all of the other aspects of the game were together and ready to go.

rideroid said: What sort of overall tone can we expect from PoE? Will it be more towards ultra-grim and violent (ie Game of Thrones) or will it be more inline with the adventurous and fun feeling from BG1 & 2? After playing Divinity Original Sin lately I find a lighter atmosphere is pretty refreshing.

I don’t think PoE is quite as grim as Game of Thrones, but it’s also not as light-hearted as Divinity: OS. Our subject matter can be pretty grim but I think there are plenty of funny moments as well.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Joking aside, overall narrative is probably the least of my worries. If I separated the narrative from the game - e.g. if I just read a wiki article of the plot - it's usually pretty interesting. Now, Obsidian's implementation of said narrative is a different story...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sensuki question

enverxis said: In the Gameplay Demonstration videos, the implementation of the Godlike race in Character Creation looked unfinished. Previously it was stated we would be able to choose the base race and Godlike type. Is this still the case for PE ?

It is finished. You pick the “parent” race after you pick the godlike type.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
^It is. Maybe the video was cut a little bit.
Lots of enthusiasts and very detail-orientated fans.

Adler: And Eastern Europe too.

Sawyer: That’s true. For whatever reasons, they really dig our stuff.
Aye-aye, that is correct :hero:
7rr4fLB.png

SophosTheWise

Cipher
41 minutes of :balance:

First thing I thought when I heard Sawyer speak was "How the hell can that guy still be enthusiastic after giving the same demo a hundred times?" Some minutes later: "All the people of the caravan are dead, boo-hoo. I've given that demo too many times". God, I could never do that. A horrible job.

Starym

Educated
I agree. There is some moderate degree of micromanagement which is correct (or has the best 'pacing' or 'feel') with RTWP. I like to call it 'macromanagement' but I guess that's just semantics. I don't want almost completely passive characters like non-subclass BG Fighters, on the other hand I don't really want to play Meepo lol.

Edit: Another thing about RTSes and MOBAs is that despite all the micromanagement, you never need to pause. RTWP needs to emulate that - minimize the necessity of pausing by having an efficient UI and giving the players a balance of active options to keep them on their toes without being overloaded.

That's where the slow motion option comes in. I think (hope) it will be the game changer in terms of potential micromanagment overflow and constant pause spam (which I hate). If the pace of combat isn't too slow with slowmo active but slow enough you don't really need to pause at all except for really tough fights/crucial combat decisions, I think the game will play quite differently from the older IE ones, while still preserving that old feel for people who prefer pause-spam.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
RTSes and MOBAs is that despite all the micromanagement, you never need to pause.
I disagree.
In most situations - many people would love to pause.
Whether it's to react to an attack or being a victim of AoE spells. Or even take a moment and take stock of the situation.
It's just that part the MOBA/RTS's challenge to the gamer is reacting to these situations WITHOUT pause.
So when RPGs are built around the basis of 'RTwP', the whole encounter is designed with taking account of the 'pause' component in mind.

Just think about it, in what situation do you not need to pause in most RTWP RPGs?
Trash, unchallenging mobs. Everything is OK. Nothing dangerous is happening. All according to plan.

DefJam101

Arcane
Julian Gollop summed up this whole topic nicely in a double interview alongside the lead developer of NuXCOM. Paraphrasing: in any real-time strategy game you invariably find yourself fighting against the interface in addition to the game proper. Turn-based is monocle not because it's more deeperer, but because it abstracts time so that what matters is how well you make decisions, rather than how well you can push buttons to input the decisions you've already made.

RTwP does the same exact thing in a jerky, awkward, inelegant manner, which makes it generally inferior

edit: I think the only exception would be grand strategy games, where you sometimes need to control things on a minute-by-minute basis and other times spend five months waiting for the lord of the castle you're besieging to die of the plague

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Indeed. The other advantage of that is not only putting tactical decisions ahead of clicking buttons, but also putting role playing first. I like the idea that I can think about what my characters should do in a particular situation to remain congruent with the way they've been RP'd as opposed to just pressing on things. As you say, RTWP tries to provide this same dynamic, but fails because it's a much more awkward solution for thoughtful play and not really engaging/visceral enough to compensate for it if you decide to let things run in real time.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Object Highlight is tab key by default like the BG games

It's Tab by default and currently the outline effect looks pretty much like it did in the IE games.

Good because that's more comfortable to use than left alt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom