Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
MOTB did it's best, but it still sucks.

Basically, the incline is happening, and you stupid fucks are still hanging on to those who rose to prominence during the decline. Rome has fallen but you're still pretending these shitty developers can create anything worthwhile. Jesus, this game is literally the worst fucking high profile kickstarter of the RPG variety. It's the opposite of old-school - it's business as usual. The press for this game can be completely switched with DA:Origins and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You all are a bunch of fucking hypocrites.
DA:O was old school compared to the Bio games made before and after it. Tactical combat and a larger party size. DA:O would be even more old school if it was being released today.

Anyways, I don't get the complaint. DA:O with better systems and better writing sounds peachy to me. I don't care if it's "auld skuul" or not.
Old school in some aspects, but new school in having DPS skills based on short cooldowns for each character a la MMOs.

Seems like PoE isn't going that route. Engagement and modal abilities (stances, I guess) seem to be possible improvements on the typical RTWP model. I'm still on a wait and see mindset, not at all hyped or disparaging about the game at the moment. More just... curious.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pong.png

:M

Cazzeris

Why the fuck did Obsidian show PoE to IGN while there are hundreds of backers waiting for the beta release?

They paid the game's development FFS.

Am I missing something or Obsidian is full of retardness?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Why the fuck did Obsidian show PoE to IGN while there are hundreds of backers waiting for the beta release?

Because they're smart for two reasons.

Number one: Obsidian did not have to produce the Gameplay video in-house. Doing so would have taken Josh, Adam, one of the sound guys and probably some producers down for X amount of development time. They've demonstrated time and again that no one there knows how to do a properly encoded/transcoded video for internet playback too, lol. Josh and Brandon did a media tour and got several versions of a video done all in one stroke without taking any of the key development areas down.

Number two: Putting the Gameplay video on media sites gives MASSIVE exposure to the game, it also gives the press incentive to be good to them. Sure, fuckheads like Gamespot try and be cool but the rest have been good about it. Doing it this way will get fuck loads more attention and have a far wider reach than doing an internal Kickstarter video post.

The only issue there is that the video will probably not be seen by some backers (at least until the next update).

Cazzeris

Because they're smart for two reasons.

Number one: Obsidian did not have to produce the Gameplay video in-house. Doing so would have taken Josh, Adam, one of the sound guys and probably some producers down for X amount of development time. They've demonstrated time and again that no one there knows how to do a properly encoded/transcoded video for internet playback too, lol. Josh and Brandon did a media tour and got several versions of a video done all in one stroke without taking any of the key development areas down.

Number two: Putting the Gameplay video on media sites gives MASSIVE exposure to the game, it also gives the press incentive to be good to them. Sure, fuckheads like Gamespot try and be cool but the rest have been good about it. Doing it this way will get fuck loads more attention and have a far wider reach than doing an internal Kickstarter video post.

The only issue there is that the video will probably not be seen by some backers (at least until the next update).

:hmmm:

OK, then.

So, after all; Obsidian learned a couple of things about marketing during these poor years.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Putting the Gameplay video on media sites gives MASSIVE exposure to the game, it also gives the press incentive to be good to them. Sure, fuckheads like Gamespot try and be cool but the rest have been good about it. Doing it this way will get fuck loads more attention and have a far wider reach than doing an internal Kickstarter video post.

Agree. From a business decision, the backers have already given their money, so producing a backer-exclusive showcase would be a waste of resources. The gaming press, on the other hand, can write positive reviews that will persuade potential buyers. Many movies suffered a lukewarm or negative reception because they didn't offer previews to the press and "snubbed" them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Old school in some aspects, but new school in having DPS skills based on short cooldowns for each character a la MMOs.

Seems like PoE isn't going that route."

That's funny that you make that claim when PE does have cooldown as does the recent so called (it's not) 'old skool' game DOS. LMAO

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
rope kid said:
We don't have final specs but min res is 1280x720 and I'd really like it to be able to run well on 5+ year old machines. Memory is probably the biggest issue right now, but we're working on it and will continue to do so up until we launch.

I'll bet it is. Loading four images of an area in 15000x8000 or whatever will use up ur RAM dats 4sh0.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fixed. The sad thing is this really is the :incline: period of RPGs, but you stupid faggots are too stupid to see the real incline, and are falling for stupid marketing buzzwords with games that are completely missing the mark.
Pillars of Eternity may end up becoming the only RPG in existence to meet my standards of writing, role-playing, reactivity, combat, customization, and art. Underrail and Darkest Dungeon certainly won't.

The exception being, possibly, Dungeon Siege 3, but thats probably their most simple and risk free (as in by the numbers clone) game to day.
While lower-risk and by-the-numbers in many elements, DS3 wasn't a clone of anything. It was heavily inspired by multiple titles, sure.

Fixed. The sad thing is this really is the :incline: period of RPGs, but you stupid faggots are too stupid to see the real incline, and are falling for stupid marketing buzzwords with games that are completely missing the mark.
Pillars of Eternity may end up becoming the only RPG in existence to meet my standards of writing, role-playing, reactivity, combat, customization, and art. Underrail and Darkest Dungeon certainly won't.
Well... I mean, you're a confirmed faggot, so your standards mean shit.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

Even if it achieves that, POE will still never reach the heights of Super Mario and Donkey Kong.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My God, PoE does inspire extreme amounts of butthurt in the IE-haters, doesn't it? Why are Fallout fanboys so fucking angry all the time? Where are all the RTwP-faggots shitting up the Wasteland 2 and Underrail threads?

The only thing you achieve with your fuming disgust is coming off like Roguey, except Roguey isn't butthurt, just a cunt sometimes. Like Roguey you for some reason wish for RPGs to fail. It's mind-numbing.

I wonder what the Ground Zero event that caused this phenomenon was. I mean, the IE-games and Fallout came out at roughly the same time. The registration dates of the users who like one over the other is pretty similar. Both games steadily get more or less the same amount of votes when we poll the users for their favourite RPGs. Yet one game is worshipped by a small core of people with anger management issues who will somehow react to one game being criticized in one thread with a shitstorm of unseen proportions, while the other game being shat on by these exact people is business as usual.

Baldur's Gate didn't rape your beloved genre. Baldur's Gate didn't result in zero Fallouts for years to come. Baldur's Gate didn't create Fallout 3. Fallout and the IE-games did pretty much equally well and both concepts were dropped in favor of shitty modern concepts. Take a chill pill for God's sake.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's not an RPG

Ah, so that's the debate you're interested in. Then off to the "what is an RPG"-thread with you, shoo. Maybe you'll even win after 10 more years of that same discussion, and the IE-games will be forever officially classified as non-RPGs (tm). They will call it 'The Great Semantic Victory of FSM, 2014.' And people will go on not giving a fuck, and IE-fans will be IE-fans and a vast portion of the Codex will still wait excitedly for PoE and you'll have achieved fuck all. But if that's what you need to feel satisfied, more power to ya.

Last edited:

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
It's not an RPG

Ah, so that's the debate you're interested it. Then off to the "what is an RPG"-thread with you, shoo. Maybe you'll even win after 10 more years of that same discussion, and get the IE-games will be forever officially classified as non-RPGs (tm). They will call it 'The Great Semantic Victory of FSM of 2014.' And people will go on not giving a fuck, and IE-fans will be IE-fans and a vast portion of the Codex will still wait excitedly for PoE and you'll have achieved fuck all. But if that's what you need to feel satisfied, more power to ya.
The codex will still wait excitedly for POE after 10 years? =O
I hope we are waiting for POE 4 by then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom