Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Josh answered some questions on Something Awful today:

Sensuki said:
rope kid, did you end up sorting out the Penetration system that's connected to the Perception attribute?

rope kid said:
Penetration isn't connected to Perception anymore. Perception now affects Interrupt (also based on the type of attack), which is compared to the target's Concentration, which is derived from Resolve. Slower attacks tend to have higher base Interrupt. Faster attacks and AoEs tend to have lower base Interrupt. There are exceptions. Firearms have relatively low base Interrupt (and high damage). Thrust of Tattered Veils has a high base Interrupt (but does very little damage).

Dropping Penetration makes sense as it is essentially an overlap with raw damage. However Perception is a bit problematic as it is essentially 'dumpable' by some classes. Priests really don't need it as they have few offensive spells and Firearms have a low interrupt (dunno about Crossbows). Druids and Wizards also probably don't need it.

If you look at Pallegina's stats from Update 70 she has

13, 14, 9, 12, 15, 16 base at Level 8 (which may have a +1 from a level up). A Priest really needs: Intellect (AoEs, Durations), Dexterity (Accuracy), Constitution (HP) and Resolve (Concentration) a lot more than Might (Damage/Healing) and Perception (Interrupt). The reason these are low is if you look at the Priest spell list, most of the spells are allied buffs, there are few enemy debuffs and even fewer damaging spells. Why waste points on Interrupt when you'll be doing defensive casting most of the time?

Of course, I haven't played the game and there may be ways of making "Battle Priests" and stuff who are melee characters where Interrupt would be more useful, but I'm just not seeing it.

It's a shame because all of the other attributes are very good, and pretty useful for every class, this is the only one that isn't quite there. Still a good attribute system, just a shame it didn't quite get there in terms of all attributes being equally viable.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
VO for Priest spells is placeholder

Furism said:
I was thinking about the Dire Blessing and Circle of Profession spells that we saw during last update. Do words uttered by the Priest matter? Or they mean something in some tongue, are they made up because they sound cool, would the Priest say different words depending on his deity? Also, more concretely, how are those recorded?

rope kid said:
Those are purely placeholder for now.

Ability animations and Melee Engagement movement

Clever Spambot said:
Have they said anything about enemies in this game having visual windups to powerful attacks (such as the long spellcasting time in infinity engine games) to allow you to get out of the way or interrupt them with short stun attacks?

Also any idea if we will be able to while engaged with an enemy sort of re-align yourself to a more ideal position without provoking an attack of opportunity or does any sort of movement provoke?

rope kid said:
Some attacks have windups, but it's rare (usually long spells).

You can move around a target without provoking Disenagagement. Unlike 3E AoEs, it's purely based on distance from the engaging enemy.

On casting animations

Druid/priest spellcasting animations are shared. They have a directional ("throwing" the spell) and reflexive (around themselves) anim. Wizards also have two anims for directional and reflexive, but they always have their grimoire in hand. Ciphers put their hand (or both hands) up near their head and then push toward their target. Chanters lean back and then thrust their heads forward for their invocations (only one anim).

SA people have short memories

rope kid said:
For Interrupt/Concentration all you really need to know is that a higher Perception makes an attacker more likely to interrupt the target and a higher Resolve makes it more likely that a defender will resist an interruption. Otherwise, attacks will be labeled with relative values of Interrupt. Higher = more chance of interrupting.

Dagger/Rapier Interrupts

How to get fast dualwielding dagger/rapier interrupts?

Daggers and rapiers are both fast (20 frame) attacking weapons and they have lower Interrupt ratings. However, because they are attacking faster, they cause Interrupt checks more often.

Xeon

Augur
Sensuki said:
13, 14, 9, 12, 15, 16 base at Level 8 (which may have a +1 from a level up).
Extra attribute from leveling? I think Infinitron[?] said there will not be any additional stats from leveling or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sensuki Not sure why you would think "Battle Priests" aren't a build Josh wants to support (to some extent). After all that is what classic AD&D clerics were. So yeah, Interrupt is useful for that.

Sensuki

Arcane
Well there were some complaints on SA and on the Eternity forums about Priests not being great in melee. Apparently they have don't have a great deflection and aren't terribly durable HP (Health/Stamina) wise. The stock role is designed to be played as a ranged character.

We have three "full" caster classes that can avoid melee entirely if you choose to do so (wizard, priest, druid).

Currently, wizards, druids, and priests are all heavily casting-oriented classes. None of them are particularly great at weapon-based combat on their own and they aren't too durable, either.

Priests have better support abilities, worse defenses, and some crowd control abilities that paladins completely lack. Also a few single-target strike spells.

It seems like a waste to bump Perception for a Priest, I mean sure you could do it, it just probably wouldn't be great. We haven't seen the talent system yet though.

By the way, here's what I think the 8 companions will be [Infinitron warning: speculation]:

Edér (confirmed)
Pallegina (confirmed)
Kana Rua - portrait from the Chanter update
Aloth - New portrait as seen here: http://i.imgur.com/yAcbMj9.jpg
Sagani - Too cool of a concept to drop. Josh mentioned on the Eternity forums about the type of animal companion she would have a while ago
Cadegund - Has been somewhat developed. I think her character will be one of the first characters you meet in the game due to her being a Priestess of Magan (the goddess most followed in the Dyrwood) which allows her to be logically met in the Dyrford (which has a Temple, probably to Magran).
Orlan Cipher (confirmed by Chris Avellone)
The Devil of Caroc (Fighter) - as mentioned in the last update

edit: Aloth, Sagani, Cadegund and the Devil of Caroc are all shown in this screen

There might be more than 8 but there will be at least 8. I think Josh is writing Edér along with Pallegina as well.

Last edited:

Hormalakh

Magister
i really think the companions are still too early to tell. i think we'll all just be surprised with that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
couldn't devil of caroc be the player character? longest time spent in party and all. I know, unnecessary stat to track in that case...

Athelas

Arcane
Is the Devil of Caroc the obligatory 'whacky' (non-human) partymember?

Sagani - Too cool of a concept to drop.
You mean a dwarf who isn't a male warrior-type and comic relief? That's actually pretty novel, although that says more about the sad state of video game writing and high fantasy.

coffeetable

Savant
though actually seeing as The Devil of Caroc has the most time in the party, it might well be the in-game name for the PC, similar to child of bhaal/grey warden/etc

nope there's a damn great <PLAYERNAME> at the top of the screen nm

Dorateen

Arcane
You mean a dwarf who isn't a male warrior-type and comic relief? That's actually pretty novel, although that says more about the sad state of video game writing and high fantasy.

Sagani... is that the weird Eskimo female dwarf? I look forward to telling her to get back to the hearth and act like a proper dwarf.

Delterius

Arcane

Sagani... is that the weird Eskimo female dwarf? I look forward to telling her to get back to the hearth and act like a proper dwarf.
GROW A BEARD WOMAN.

Sensuki

Arcane
I wonder if there's an off the bat joke about Pallegina's name, being a female paladin and all. Probably not though. Josh doesn't have that sense of humor :P

Sensuki

Arcane
Priests and offensive spells (I've been pressing my concern about Priests and Perception)

rope kid said:
Priests also do not have to prep spells but, like druids, have all spells of a given level available all the time (assuming they still have casts/rest for that level).

So I guess you can constantly spam offensive Priest spells for interrupts.

Creatures and DT

Correct, though some creatures do have extraordinarily high DT.

Sensuki

Arcane
Josh checks Something Awful before (probably at) work.

Prometheus and I were having a discussion about the armor system, since it has changed quite a bit over time. I said that Crush was the best damage type vs. plate ... but it turns out that's actually not the case anymore. Estocs are the best weapon vs plate armor.

Plate is least resistant to Shock damage, but if you're going to use melee weapons, estocs, stilettos, and maces all have DT negation and are usually your best bet on occasions where the target's DT is uniform against the physical damage types (Slash/Crush/Pierce). In both models (original and current), two-handed weapons are best when DT is really high. If DT is really high and the DT has no physical vulnerabilities (like plate armor), estocs are the most efficient.

This bit is old info

Daggers are Slash and have an inherent Accuracy bonus. Stilettos are Pierce and negate a portion of DT.

On Mace DT negation (which I think is new info as it's not on the wiki)

Generally yes due to the mace's DT negation. Swords and maces do the same damage and attack at the same speed. The benefit of a sword is "Best of Slash/Pierce" where they do damage against the type that the armor is weakest against. If both Slash and Pierce DT on the target are equal (and equal to the base DT), the sword doesn't really have a benefit. In those circumstances, a mace will almost always be better.

And Maces absolutely rape Mail armor

E: In case anyone was wondering, maces are extremely good against anyone in mail. Crush is mail's worst damage type and maces negate DT on top of that. With a mace against standard mail the target has close to 0 DT.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Update by Adam Brennecke, Lead Programmer and Executive Producer

Over a year ago, in , we showed you the first movie of Pillars of Eternity. The movie showcased a beautiful scene in the Dyrwood complete with dynamic lighting, per-pixel occlusion, dynamic water and waterfall, and a day-night cycle. In this update I would like to give you an inside look on how these images are put together and rendered in the game, and I will cover new rendering features that we've added over the past year to address feedback from our backers about how our characters look in the scene. Warning: things might get technical!

E3
We are going to be going on update hiatus for the next three weeks as we prepare for E3 in Los Angeles. After E3, the next update will feature the final classes covering The Front Line (fighters and barbarians).

pe-update-79-580.jpg
At E3, the team will be showing Pillars of Eternity at the Paradox booth behind closed doors. To avoid spoiling what we will be showing, we will be saving these moments until you get to play it. Because we want to include you in the experience, we will be taking photos at the booth, and in a future update we will be sharing more screenshots from the demo. To give you a small taste, here's a sneak peak at a scene that will be shown at E3:

pe-encampment-580.jpg
Rendering Time
Backgrounds

pe-daynight-580.jpg
As we mentioned previously, our beautiful backgrounds are rendered out of Maya as a 2D image. They are very large images, sometimes over several gigabytes of raw data, and before the images get into the game we run a program that compresses the data. Maya renders out the backgrounds in four layers or "passes": final, depth, normal, and albedo. These passes are combined together in Unity for per-pixel occlusion of 3D objects, and for real-time dynamic lighting. When we bring the backgrounds into the game, they look like a flat 2D plane, and when viewed in Unity's editor the whole world has an awkward skewed look to it. The illusion comes together only when an orthographic camera is placed at the perfect angle.

pe-passes-580.jpg
Characters

Next we overlay the 3D world on top of the 2D rendered image. The characters are dynamic 3D skinned meshes that are animated and then rendered into the scene with a variety of shaders and materials. Our default material that we use on most characters includes a normal map (adds tiny variations in surface detail), specular map (adds shininess), and an albedo map (adds the base color). The default material also supports a tint map, which allows our designers and you to customize the colors of armor, hair, and skin.

We have other shaders that can change the look and feel of characters. For example, we have a metal shader for armor that adds an extra level of shininess and can reflect the environment via an environment map. A Cloth shader removes the shininess, and allows the character artists to make outfits made up of cotton, wool, and satin. We have special materials, like an emissive shader that isn't affected by light, used for the fire-godlike, ghosts, spectres, and the windows seen in the screenshots and video.

Because the characters are 3D, they need to be lit differently than the background image. We use a system with two directional lights. The first directional light is the key light and typically matches the sun color and intensity in outdoor scenes, and this light can be modified by the day-night cycle to cast moonlight at night. The second directional light is used as a fill light to make sure the "back side" of a character isn't in total darkness. The two lights are adjusted per scene depending on the pre-rendered light settings to match the sun direction, mood, and desired atmosphere.

In addition to the directional lights, we use dynamic deferred lights that can affect the background and characters. For example, if a torch is placed in a scene, the torch can illuminate both the 2D environment and a 3D character standing nearby. In addition, deferred lights are used for spell effects; a fireball explosion emits a burst of light, brightening up a dark dungeon room.

Bringing it all together

We noticed, and so did many of you, after releasing our first few screenshots, the 3D characters were not matching the 2D rendered scene as much as we would have hoped. So we put our thinking caps on, and we came up with new features since our first batch of screenshots, including dynamic ambient and a shadow control system.

To really make sure the characters fit in the scene, we came up with an ambient system that samples color from the 2D background, simulating a quick and dirty global illumination model. Characters pick up subtle color variations depending on where they are standing and what type of environment they are in. If a character is standing in a lush green jungle, it will pick up a subtle green hue from the light reflected off the environment. Game programmers love fast and cheap methods, and the ambient system gives us great results with little impact on rendering performance.

Ambient before and after:

pe-ambient-off.jpg

pe-ambient-on.jpg
Another feature that we've added recently to solve the issue of grounding characters into the scene is a system to shadow 3D characters when traversing into dark shadowy areas in the 2D image. The new system samples a low resolution image map which controls the contribution of the directional sunlight on the character, and to avoid double shadows, the same image controls the value of the dynamic shadow map. Lastly, to better match the 2D and 3D shadows, we color the dynamic shadow to match the 2D rendered shadow color (which often has a blue hue to it).

Shadow Blending before and after:

pe-shadow-blending-off.jpg

pe-shadow-blending.jpg
To tie everything together, we can optionally add post process effects. In this scene, we've added a very subtle bloom effect that effects both the environment and characters.

I hope you didn't get lost in all the technical talk! The important thing is that we hope you like the end result. We are satisfied with where we are at, but we always have a few ideas on how to improve the look and quality of the graphics. Improving the look of the game will be an ongoing process until we ship... and beyond. If you have any questions, please ask in our forums! Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh oh, I think a lot of forum dwellers might be mad about their little secret E3 demo. "Why do games journalists get to see stuff your backers don't??"

Sensuki

Arcane
The thing is they already have, like 3 or 4 times. The Production schedule highlighted various Press demos, none of which we have seen.

Athelas

Arcane
Hey look, it's a bunch of half-broken adra-cemented pillars surrounding a field of adra crystals. :smug:

Character models look very Dark Souls-y. I like.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom