Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Monty

Arcane

Men in Game Development... that's a rather disturbing kickstarter troll:

2f21dd85b8836637e67791f05ec3b54a_large.jpg

:what:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Maybe Liam Esler IS doing a companion? :what:

That's definitely Polina's best portrait, much better than the Earth Godlike variants, which I didn't like.

Sensuki said:
Did Polina do that portrait? It looks more like her style than Kaz's.
rope kid said:
Yeah, Polina did the aumaua portrait.

Last edited:

poetic codex

Augur
Sadly, it seems like Sawyer is going the NWN2 MOTB route when it comes to spell design. I seriously don't understand the point of giving fancy names to spells that do nothing but a passive stat buff. Motb was bloated with them, and it seems that this game is going in a similar direction.

"Inferno of the righteous might" gives a +1 bonus to strength for 5 rounds.

"Multitude of effervescent lights" gives a +1 bonus to will for 2 rounds.

Spells that do nothing but passive stat boosts are boring no matter how elaborate the name.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Sadly, it seems like Sawyer is going the NWN2 MOTB route when it comes to spell design. I seriously don't understand the point of giving fancy names to spells that do nothing but a passive stat buff. Motb was bloated with them, and it seems that this game is going in a similar direction.

"Inferno of the righteous might" gives a +1 bonus to strength for 5 rounds.

"Multitude of effervescent lights" gives a +1 bonus to will for 2 rounds.

Spells that do nothing but passive stat boosts are boring no matter how elaborate the name.
This. What's wrong with using simple, descriptive names like cone of cold, hold person, web, remove paralysis, chaos, skulltrap, or fireball? Some were longer like protection from normal missiles, but at least they did what it said on the tin.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I third this sentiment.

A lot of the spells ARE D&D spells, blatantly but the names have just been changed to something similar.

I assume you're too lazy to post about it on the OE forums though, as that comment won't get noticed here.

I like the incantation "sound"... very Baldur's Gatey.
I'm less impressed with the circle VFX though :/

(Time to read the actual update)

Already got a thread up about it:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66197-pe-spell-fx-suggestion/

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I third this sentiment.

A lot of the spells ARE D&D spells, blatantly but the names have just been changed to something similar.

I assume you're too lazy to post about it on the OE forums though, as that comment won't get noticed here.
I'm not sure if you meant this for poetic codex, but speaking for myself, I admit I'm too lazy to register and tell Obsidian I prefer simple names like Shield and Fireball.

Sensuki

Arcane
Yeh that pretty much sums up most codexers. Will complain on here, but that's about it.

OTOH I probably come off as a consistently annoying cunt to the devs, I know that's exactly what coffeetable thinks of me ;)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sounds like space marines chapters.
Is he trying to add real religious orders-likes into the game? Cause I don't think that was their point and making "mercenary paladins" kinda defeats their purpose in fantasy genre.
The bleak guys sound particularly close to Legion of the Damned :M

The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos.
Hah, touche.
I know Josh is a fan of linguistics and heraldry and so, but I find that people who hold hard on those things when working on settings tend to categorize everything first, instead of writing ideas behind them. So it ends up as a lot of fragments which are still in chaos and are meaningless.
But whatever. Maybe it's important to him, and I'm just in my grumpy mood.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure what you think "their purpose in fantasy genre" is. PoE paladins are warriors with a burning faith in something (not necessarily a god or anything positive). That faith "ignites their soul" and gives them powers.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm not sure what you think "their purpose in fantasy genre" is. PoE paladins are warriors with a burning faith in something (not necessarily a god or anything positive). That faith "ignites their soul" and gives them powers.
The beacon of morality.
I do find idea of playing a paladin who believes that he always has to get gold from NPCs and that reinforces his powers hilarious as hell however.

Sensuki

Arcane
You only have to slightly adjust your expectation to this:

"The beacon of a morality"

and then it works (as in PE there is more than one morality).

Paladins in D&D were different as well depending on their deity.

Perkel

Arcane
I wonder if they will be using attack of opportunity...
There is nothing more weird to watch when your fighter on front line teleports to running enemy or hitting air delivering damage.

This shit simply doesn't work in RTwP like in TB.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I wonder if they will be using attack of opportunity...
There is nothing more weird to watch when your fighter on front line teleports to running enemy or hitting air delivering damage.

This shit simply doesn't work in RTwP like in TB.

Yes there is disengagement attacks. These attacks will be shown as a ghost of the character that is performing the attack.

Perkel

Arcane
That is partialy why BG2/ID plays much better than newer 3.5 edition games that use rtwp.

I think they should just pause game for a moment or slow it down a lot, fighter attacks, game time returns to normal.

Shit will be ankward to see in this form

Shadenuat

Arcane
You only have to slightly adjust your expectation to this:

"The beacon of a morality"

and then it works (as in PE there is more than one morality).

Paladins in D&D were different as well depending on their deity.
Relativism in medieval settings is meh. I was hoping clerics and paladins would have to uphold tenets of faith which would make sense for PoE's metaphysics, something about purity of soul maybe and it's transcendence? Something real for people to believe in. With multiple gods and paladins getting abilities for anything it's more like antiquity and I'm not a fan of possible "knights of money" or "knights of quickly killing stuff".

I do like that following "your" virtues affects believer's abilities, and I hope Obsi will add moments where you have to face the consequences for doing (or not) so.

The Chanters also seem quite interesting and if you'll "generate" new couplets from events happening in the game, well, maybe it'll be the most interesting bard reiteration to play ever.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It means all games suck except Sawyer's and the codex only likes shitty games etc.

Harvey Smith sounds like a dumbfuck too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm:

I suppose he's just quoting a fake stereotypical grognard RPG designer, then? That's rather random.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom