Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They would be really wise to use both "project" and "eternity" but at least one out of two isn't bad. If there is anyone with a marketing degree within 50 miles of Obsidian HQ they would surely scream this as if the rapture had come.

Personally I would create an overall fiction setting and name it, then make "Project Eternity" the subtitle for volume one. Random example: Fallen Worlds: Project Eternity.

Well, I'd ditch the 'project', but 'eternity' is nice for either the main title or the sub-title (assuming it will be something1: something2 in the end).

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
From what i gathered Baldur's Gate wasn't called Project Infinity so why on earth do some people still think they'll keep the name ?... o_O

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what i gathered Baldur's Gate wasn't called Project Infinity
Project Eternity is not made on 'Eternity Engine', so the analogy does not work.

so why on earth do some people still think they'll keep the name ?... o_O
Because they could take advantage of exisiting marketing power the name has already generated?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Big news : when the "project" is done, it won't be a project anymore. It would be stupid to keep a name that doesn't allude to any sort of content, especially if they plan on initiating a whole series of games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Big news : when the "project" is done, it won't be a project anymore. It would be stupid to keep a name that doesn't allude to any sort of content, especially if they plan on initiating a whole series of games.

Which is why it's 90% likely they will keep Eternity either as the series title or a subtitle for a new series label. I think "project" could easily work though, depending on the themes involved in the story.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unless there is indeed something project-like in the story, I do not expect them to keep that portion of the name.
Really Name Naming: The Naminator type names are horribly unnecessary in my eyes.
It should be "Eternity", and there's no need to discuss it further. It's associated with it, part of the original name, and it doesn't sound crappy. It fits, and that's all you need.
Then when they release the sequel maybe Eternity: Forgotten destiny of epoch donkey bladders can be one of the one hundred debates on a suitable name that must obviously occur, to determine the most market pleasing name.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It should be "Eternity", and there's no need to discuss it further. It's associated with it, part of the original name, and it doesn't sound crappy. It fits, and that's all you need.
Then when they release the sequel maybe Eternity: Forgotten destiny of epoch donkey bladders can be one of the one hundred debates on a suitable name that must obviously occur, to determine the most market pleasing name.

I like subtitles on first releases when it's expected to become a series. Call me crazy.

Eternity: Roguey's Lust

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
Unless there is indeed something project-like in the story, I do not expect them to keep that portion of the name.
Really Name Naming: The Naminator type names are horribly unnecessary in my eyes.

That sounds fucking generic.

Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. Those names were sexy.

They should name it after a place in their world.

Delterius

Arcane

Eír AISHAOSNAÇLSNAMÇLMAÇSMSAMSÇLMAS

How marketable does that sound?

And I don't even think those celtic sounding names are unpronounceable.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted

Eír AISHAOSNAÇLSNAMÇLMAÇSMSAMSÇLMAS

How marketable does that sound?

And I don't even think those celtic sounding names are unpronounceable.

Depends. Baldur's Gate wasn't named SwordCoast. In the end, just pick a relevant place in the seting. There's bound to be one with a prononcable name. Aedyr names and Valian ones should be easy pick (old french, english, italian).

Delterius

Arcane
I think that the work they're putting behind the language should make it emblematic of the setting, or at least of the region we'll explore. As such, one of those names should be burrowed for the game, if any end up naming the game at all. Unless a Valian colony is actually as central to the plot as Baldur's Gate is in BG1.

But I do agree that Eternity is generic as hell. Though it will eventually catch with the estabilished base.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom