Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pathfinder Adventures card game

Duraframe300

Arcane
Nathan Davis speaks

Supporting a lot of platforms is something that we on the team have a personal investment in (we all use different devices as our primary mode of gaming). We also want to get folks playing this thing as soon as we can. So we are balancing a lot of factors to determine what we are releasing on and when.

Well, for a start, I am. My team is small but you may see them pop in here from time to time.

Nathan previously worked on Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III and South Park as a producer. His role on this project is that of a producer and designer.

Duraframe300

Arcane
pathfinder-dare.jpg

Duraframe300

Arcane
There are some articles out as well

http://geekdad.com/2014/08/obsidian-pathfinder-acg/

Seems like while Paizo has been working with Obsidian on the deal for quite a while, the actual contract was signed just before gencon. That probably more or less rules out MCA as Creative Lead for possible Pathfinder CRPG and that this was the licensed property Feargus talked about.

On the happier side a lot more hints for pathfinder crpg down the line. I can imagine that this would probably be the second project they are tackeling. Deal is definitly long term.

Also, CUTZENSES

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hopefully Cain.

The likelihood of this occurrence is unfortunately slim I think.
I doubt Cain has been around Obsidian long enough to be considered for being a lead guy, despite his decades of experience in the industry.
Obsidian may give it to him, or they may give it to someone who's been in Obsidian longer. I think the latter is more likely.
Cain, while having great experience, is still a relative newb at the company, and who knows, he may not want the job.

Duraframe300

Arcane
An article from august 22'nd I overlooked

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/33282/app-news-pathfinder-impressions-stalag-17-released

We were able to sit down with one of the developers from Obsidian Entertainment on Saturday morning and take a look at the game in action and, upon viewing, rocketed to the top of my want list. If the physical version of the game has a failing for me, it's that the roleplaying aspect seems a bit thin. There are times where it definitely feels like you're playing a card game and not smashing villains. The app changes all that. Not only are there cut-scenes introducing plot points and NPCs that appear in the game, but all the locations are icons on a great looking map. Once you enter a location, it zooms to that location, which is a fully animated landscape.

The card game portion is still completely intact, with cards and dice being displayed on top of the backgrounds. There are even digital dice that you can flick around the screen instead of the dice rolls happening behind the scenes.

What really made it stand out what the inclusion of material from the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path that isn't in the cards from the game. Not that there are new cards or adversaries, but that they pulled story items from the adventure path to flesh out the app and make it feel less like a card game and more like a true RPG.

(Scott Everts also commented)

Also

pic2208587_md.jpg

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nathan Davis
One of the side benefits of working on this game is we have a totally real justification for playing through it ourselves. We play twice a week at lunchtime. We learn a lot about not only mechanics, but also how different people play and organize themselves.

We completed Rise of the Runelords when we were a smaller team. Our loadout included Harsk the Tracker, Amari the Berserker, and Ezren the Illusionist ("I'm an illusionist, Michael..."). Now that we have a larger team, we've started anew with Skull & Shackles. It is great for getting everyone understanding how flexible we need to make our game rules. We just finished the first scenario (0.1). Our crew is a bit nuts but covers all of the bases, Lem, Oloch, Damiel, Seltyiel, Lirianne and of course Ranzak (played by yours truly).

I personally have a solitaire 4-character Skull and Shackles game going at home which has taught me a lot about what kind of interface a player will need to track a lot of characters. In that game, I'm running Damiel, Seltyiel, Alahazra, and Jirelle.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It would be great to have a solid cRPG with the Pathinder ruleset. That way Mr. Balance couldn't mess with the ruleset too much, and the team yould concentrate on creating content alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom