Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Almost Baldur's Gate III

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So yet another shitty action game designed on consoles but named Baldur's Gate III?

I'll try to shed a tear but I really can't.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, that feature on Monday sounds like it'll be good newspost fodder :newsbot:

Maybe this should be news too?

catfood

AGAIN
Don't worry. Trent assured us that he really wants to make BG3 happen, so the future of this franchise is in good hands. :smug:

He even has Urquhart's blessing.

"I've known Trent forever, and so I think that he gets it, and I think he's into it, and so I think he could do it," Urquhart said. "I dunno if they have a studio that can make Baldur's Gate 3 the way that Bethesda made Fallout 3. They could make Baldur's Gate 3 like we're doing Project Eternity, but I don't think they could move it in that direction."

:troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heh, not sure that'll happen after BG:EE got nailed by IGN and Gamespot. I wonder how it's selling.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The single................ somewhat good thing is that Beamdog will make it more like Baldur's Gate (Isometric) and non shitty 3D OMG IMMERSION I CAN SEE FEAR IN THE ORKS EYE TECHNOLOGY™.

And then the gigantic BAD: Being made by Beamdog.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What I wonder with those dead projects is how much end up reused in other stuff. Basically, Project Eternity could very much well be Baldur's Gate III in a disguised form. It's not like they were going to follow up the story of the first two games anyway.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I would assume (the main story) of BGIII was The Black Hound, but now that story is moving to their own setting in PE, minus The Hound of Ill Omen as I assume WotC own that. Perhaps the Ferret of Really Bad Stuff. It would also explain why Sawyer stopped his Black Hound NWN2 mod....

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Pretty sure he dropped it because he was busy with New Vegas, no?

But yes, obviously we can expect to see many recycled elements. In fact, we've already played games with recycled elements. Van Buren/New Vegas, of course, but also probably a bunch of stuff we don't even know about.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Bummer. But maybe not that bad after all, because that Black Hound shit was really wack. I mean, basing your entire story about a supernatural dog? That does not make for a good crpg.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Can't really blame atari, what percentage of obsidian games release as buggy/unfinished long after it's release deadline? And 25$ million for BG3? This guy's fucking nuts

Uh, it would have been a multiplatform AAA game.

KidBoogie

Learned
Can't really blame atari, what percentage of obsidian games release as buggy/unfinished long after it's release deadline? And 25$ million for BG3? This guy's fucking nuts

Uh, it would have been a multiplatform AAA game.

As if BG3 would have sold for shit on consoles, DA:O did miserably on consoles and it was developed by bioware (people buy bioware impulsively). This is why DA2 was designed the way it was. There's no way they would have profited off this game.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Meh, its just a title. Even worse, people would have some unreal expectations just looking at the title. Obsidian would have their hands tied to D&D rules, idiot management at Atari, etc. Nothing of value was lost. Those unused good ideas, characters and story will still be present in other Obsidian games.

And yeah, what Infinitron said: multi platform popamole AAA game. How much better New Vegas could be, if it was PC exclusive?

Edit

Also fuck you Morgoth for tricking me to click on Kotaku link.

pocahaunted

Arcane
If it was anywhere close to NWN2 MotB, then it was indeed a fucking shame that they didn't get around to it. Considering how they were working on MotB at the time, I'd be surprised if we'd get something more akin to Dungeon Crappola 3 rather than something reminiscent of NWN2.

Xavier0889

Learned
Leave Baldur's Gate alone bitches. If they make a Baldur's Gate 3, I'm sure even Dark Alliance will be more enjoyable.

Lancehead

Liturgist
"I've known Trent forever, and so I think that he gets it, and I think he's into it, and so I think he could do it," Urquhart said. "I dunno if they have a studio that can make Baldur's Gate 3 the way that Bethesda made Fallout 3. They could make Baldur's Gate 3 like we're doing Project Eternity, but I don't think they could move it in that direction."

Feargus doing a lot of thinking there.

Also, Oster's BGIII would be just like Fallout 3.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So.. Obsidian got greedy. they demanded Atari just hand them 25mil+ just for shits and giggles. LMFAO

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So.. Obsidian got greedy. they demanded Atari just hand them 25mil+ just for shits and giggles. LMFAO
Shut up! They didn't demanded, they told them that that would be the cost of a good sequel to BG2. And not just for shits and giggles. You are stupid as alwys. Why do you always turn up when somebody mentions Baldur's Gate anyway.? You are creepy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Obsidian was being greedy. Just admit it.

They claim they can make a BG2 like game with 4mil dollars... yet they tried telling Atari they needed 25mil+ to do it.

So.. which is it? Did they lie to Atari or are they lying to their fans?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As if BG3 would have sold for shit on consoles, DA:O did miserably on consoles and it was developed by bioware (people buy bioware impulsively). This is why DA2 was designed the way it was. There's no way they would have profited off this game.
DA:O actually sold the most on consoles, which is why DA2 is the way it was.

MachineCommander

Educated
Obsidian was being greedy. Just admit it.

They claim they can make a BG2 like game with 4mil dollars... yet they tried telling Atari they needed 25mil+ to do it.

So.. which is it? Did they lie to Atari or are they lying to their fans?
The game was most likely going to have 3D graphics and I'm sure Atari would've had Obsidian develop it on the consoles as well, as Feargus clearly stated the budget BioWare would've had for Mass Effect. Throw in voice actors, an orchestral soundtrack, CG cutscene(s)/trailers, and the budget will add up pretty fast.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Shut up! They didn't demanded, they told them that that would be the cost of a good sequel to BG2. And not just for shits and giggles. You are stupid as alwys. Why do you always turn up when somebody mentions Baldur's Gate anyway.? You are creepy.

9362.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom