Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

himmy

Arcane
This thread is what the expression "emotional roller-coaster" was invented for.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Having abandoned virtually all d20 systems years ago which certainly included DnD (mostly for the glory of GURPS) I know jack all about Pathfinder other than that I know one old friend who converted to it. The others stuck with modified, customized 3.5 DnD. Everyone despised 4th.

Here's to hoping for some MoTB-esce redeeming features from any RTwP product here.

Is it too soon to ask , 'Can we complete it without combat?' :smug:

Alchemist

Arcane
The others stuck with modified, customized 3.5 DnD.
That's pretty much what Pathfinder is. Often referred to as D&D 3.75.

kqTJMWs.png

Whew.. that's a relief. So there's definitely a CRPG in the works, I reckon.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well if they make a pc game I'll get to see what the smellier group of nerds at my gaming store are making such a fuss about.

deuxhero

Arcane
I know jack all about Pathfinder other than that I know one old friend who converted to it. The others stuck with modified, customized 3.5 DnD.

That's basicly what PF is. The changes from 3.5 are really hit and miss. Some wizard spells are nerfed and most classes have class features 1-20 now. There's also a load of spells left unchanged (Glitterdust is nerfed? I guess I'll just use the nearly as good pyrotechnics), most of the truly absurd ones included (simulacrum), wizards get actual class features, the CMD/CMB system screws over anyone who doesn't have a giant pile of racial HD (like player characters) past the first few levels, rogues have a harder time qualifying for sneak attack ect.

DSP's stuff for it is really nice though.

hopefully obsidian will tone down the art style connected with pathfinder. Can't stand the enormous weapons, useless straps and shoulder spikes combined with derpy looking weaboo faces and huge eyes along with the fact everybody is drawn in super epic mid-air flying kick poses with both monsters and humanoids alike all screaming in unison. Hope they cut that shit out.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I wish they make a new NWN kind of game, that is, an rpg with the editor.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights style would be OK by me. As long as it's built with proper database support and robust netcode and full featured GM/DM tools.

catfood

AGAIN
If this is going to be an RPG it's going to be a real time with crap one. They already have the engine from POE, I doubt they want to waste time redoing the combat system. I also don't think they'll be using the 3.5 system either. Most likely they'll just use the POE system but change the names to be more PF-like. I can't say I'm going to be all that excited for this project if it turns out to be a RTWP RPG. I'd rather play a card or board game than that to be honest.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So many hypocrits in this thread, I'd like to kick them in the teeth. Every time a poll comes up about what kind of RPG would you like to see from Obsidian, Pathfinder gains a good result. But now that it is a possibility, everyone is acting edgy and hates it in advance. Fuck you!

I hope it will be a RTwP game. Just to make people butthurt. We have enough TB games already, I'm getting tired of them (Blackguards, Expeditions, 2 Shadowrun, D: OS, soon Wasteland 2 and I don't even understand why will Torment be turn based).
Let the hate flow!

catfood

AGAIN
So many hypocrits in this thread, I'd like to kick them in the teeth. Every time a poll comes up about what kind of RPG would you like to see from RPG, Pathfinder gains a good result. But now that it is a possibility, everyone is acting edgy and hates it in advance. Fuck you!

Yeah, that might have something to do with the fact that, when people talk about a PF RPG, they mean to say that they want one with turn based combat a la TOEE. At this point there's nothing to indicate that such a thing is going to happen.

I hope it will be a RTwP game. Just to make people butthurt. We have enough TB games already, I'm getting tired of them (Blackguards, Expeditions, 2 Shadowrun, D: OS, soon Wasteland 2 and I don't even understand why will Torment be turn based).
Let the hate flow!
[/QUOTE]
no u

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So many hypocrits in this thread, I'd like to kick them in the teeth. Every time a poll comes up about what kind of RPG would you like to see from Obsidian, Pathfinder gains a good result. But now that it is a possibility, everyone is acting edgy and hates it in advance. Fuck you!

Let the hate flow!

Meh, I was merely hoping for something other than High Fantasy. That shit got boring ages ago. Give me something fresh.

Shannow

Waster of Time
What I'd like to see:
Faithful rule adaption to a TB cRPG with a modding engine that is at least as powerful as NWN's. Outside of this thread PF was mostly praised, at least rules/mechanics wise.
Obsidian could finally prove that they're not just wannabe Bioware hacks, but that they can produce something genuinely (and mechanically) good. No further excuses for crap engines, shitty gameplay and atrocious camera. Josh could also spend some time with the one thing he's actually not bad at (if IWD2 is anything to judge by) encounter design.

I really hope it is turn based and modable enough to implement DSP's stuff.

There is NO way Feargus will ever let the Obsidian team make a turn based cRPG. They don't sell well (as in a game that is financially beneficial for Obsidian, not that that wouldn't like to do one). However if a Publisher wants a turn based game, that's a different matter (that will never happen, other than South Park).
:negative:
I hope you're wrong. But perhaps Feargus knows their capabilities...

If this is going to be an RPG it's going to be a real time with crap one. They already have the engine from POE, I doubt they want to waste time redoing the combat system. I also don't think they'll be using the 3.5 system either. Most likely they'll just use the POE system but change the names to be more PF-like. I can't say I'm going to be all that excited for this project if it turns out to be a RTWP RPG. I'd rather play a card or board game than that to be honest.
Now you're just trying to piss in everybody's cereals.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What I'd like to see:
Obsidian could finally prove that they're not just wannabe Bioware hacks, but that they can produce something genuinely (and mechanically) good. No further excuses for crap engines, shitty gameplay and atrocious camera. Josh could also spend some time with the one thing he's actually not bad at (if IWD2 is anything to judge by) encounter design.
What are you talking about? Obsidian proved several times that they are not wannabe Bioware hacks. Their very first effort (Kotor 2) proved that they are better than Bioware, except with the polish of their games.

"they can produce something genuinely (and mechanically) good. No further excuses for crap engines, shitty gameplay and atrocious camera."

They are already doing this with PoE.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck us all. If they make an honest-to-God Pathfinder cRPG, I couldn't care less about the details. But if this Lisa women got my hopes up for nothing I will personally send her anthrax in a package disguised as my Pathfinder supplement collection.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't care about Pathfinder, I like D&D lore better. I grew up with that, y'know? It's so cool to twist it, just the way MCA, my idol, loves to.

However, anything Obsidian does that is an RPG and not an action game has my approval! I think I have graduated to fanboy tier. At least they seem to love what they do. Love is what I look for in a game.

Caribbean Druid

Educated

Let the hate flow!

I second that. A Pathfinder turned-based game complete with a toolset could usher a new era of user-generated D&D goodness, but it would be more logical (if not economically sound) for Obsidian to use the Pillars of Eternity engine to do several games for Paizo.

I always lamented that we have been treated with only five Infinity Engine games, so if there's a revival looming on the horizon, I won't be one to complain. I'm not too keen on seeing adventure paths being adapted though. I've only played three of them and haven't been overwhelmed by their quality. Jade Regent was kinda cool. Skull and Shackles was terrible. My group is playing Mummy's Mask at the moment, a fun dungeon crawling romp so far, but nothing exceptional. I hope it gets better.

I'd prefer to see Obsidian's take on the Pathfinder setting--it manages to be more bland than the Forgotten Realms, which is a feat in itself (though Abeir-Toril seems more consistent to me than Golarion), but Mask of the Betrayer proved that a good team of writers can do wonders with the simplest of materials.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Keeping Tim Cain as lead programer on POE at this point is a huge waste of talent.

Tim Cain has never been Lead Programmer on POE. He's a programmer and a system designer on it.

Adam Brennecke is the Lead Programmer apart from producing.

Stompa

Arcane
Gotta love how after all that Sawyer's shitting on 3.5 Obsidian is going to work on an RPG based on 3.5's carbon copy. Would be even funnier if people will like it more than PoE's system.

But seriosly, fuck Pathfinder, couldn't they pick an actually good system for their new game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom