Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wish he were talking about Call of Cthulhu; I think they could do wonders with that.

Duraframe300

Arcane
According to a twitter user the tablet game is going to be released next year.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think making this shit will not consume much of Obsidian workforce. Few artists and programmers seems enough for this. Some cash will flow in without much effort.
I can't help but think this announcement was made to cover Brennecke little problem with insects.
:troll:

Sadly, all latest games announced from Obsidian are disappointing :(

This was basically inevitable. They said they were shifting away from big studio work to smaller projects.

As long as they keep making Unity RPGs, I don't really care.

Duraframe300

Arcane
This was basically inevitable. They said they were shifting away from big studio work to smaller projects.

They never said that. They said they were going to do both.

ATM they aren't really doing any less *big* projects than before. There's Armored Warfare + an unannounced AAA game.

The thing they are doing is now additionally smaller projects as they have become viable again. (Post- Kickstarter and Indie Craze)

Nobody should be whining about Obsidians current state. Before all this we got much less.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong

ATM they aren't really doing any less *big* projects than before. There's Armored Warfare + an unannounced AAA game.

The thing they are doing is now additionally smaller projects as they have become viable again. (Post- Kickstarter and Indie Craze)

Nobody should be whining about Obsidians current state. Before all this we got much less.

Ya cause interplay was really good at diversifying too.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Let's at least hope the art style won't be based on this look (assuming this is going to be a crpg):
6yNVWGz.jpg

[shudder] That's some banal shit, and it's not even anime.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Whose whining? Not entirely sure I consider Armored Warfare to be a big project though.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Whose whining? Not entirely sure I consider Armored Warfare to be a big project though.

Budget wise it seems to be. At least by Obsidian standards. (Has just as much/more people working on it than their previous AAA games.)

Stinger

Arcane
Isn't it the weekend for you kwans? :patriot:Where the fuck is my pathfinder crpg?

m_s0

Arcane
I wish he were talking about Call of Cthulhu; I think they could do wonders with that.
I doubt COC can work as anything other than an adventure game.
I can't believe I'm even thinking this, but a first-person Oculus Rift game would work great, if done properly. The one thing that bothered me about Amnesia was that you really can't achieve the level and kind of (shudder)... immersion that the game requires of you to get you scared. And consequently it wasn't really scary, and definitely not as scary as it otherwise should've been considering how much it did right.

For instance: I can see the sanity mechanic working beautifully if you really feel like you're in the game environment, but when you're staring at a monitor it falls flat and feels very game-y. It's "don't look at the monster or your scare-o-meter is going to fill up" instead of "OH FUCK WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT".

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Amnesia wasn't scary because it was incompetently made garbage and yes I am very butthurt about how much it is liked when masterpieces like Silent Hill 2 exist.

And CoC would work great as an RPG. But it would be a very unsatisfying game. You probably couldn't win it, and most skill investments would to various other horrible, horrible fates. But maybe even that is an interesting concept to explore: an RPG not about winning it, but seeing how fucked you can get before your demise.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Thanks tuluse, let me Google that, I've never heard of that concept before.

That's not what I want.

And if it was, it already exists: Consuming Shadow, currently in development by Yahtzee.

---

Actually, you could make a great CRPG/CYOA hybrid rogue-like if you combine procedural generation with carefully detailed set pieces and add a text parser that fucks with you.

In fact, I am a sucker for writing creepy things that fuck with you. I DM'd quite a bit of CoC. It might be a fun thing to program.

Last edited:

Xi

Arcane
Wannabe DnD rip off. Don't know much about the actual setting. the game itself could turn out to be fun and good if it is more NWN2ish than APish.

Pathfinder is an improved version of 3.5, it's the quintessential DnD experience right now. Nothing really beats it.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
So does Pathfinder do anything interesting fluff-wise compared to your standard old DnD? I skimmed through inner sea guide and it looked like Faerun 2.0

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So does Pathfinder do anything interesting fluff-wise compared to your standard old DnD? I skimmed through inner sea guide and it looked like Faerun 2.0
No. It's just cleaned up 3.5 rules.

They do have good adventure paths though.

Xi

Arcane
Prove it.

Like others have said, it's the same 3.5 ruleset (D20), but it's been continuously developed since WotC stopped and started making new rulesets. They've taken those rules and refined them. Much is still the same, but quite a bit has changed (for the better). Honestly, DnD 5 has large shoes to fill coming up against Pathfinder.

Also, the ruleset is mostly free:

http://paizo.com/prd/

(You just buy adventure paths). My group is currently playing through Rise of the Runelords. Plus, you can easily play any 3.5 adventure using Pathfinder rules (it's VERY interchangeable).
I'm considering moving our mapping system to a projector to digitize some of it, and to make drawing maps a bit easier / more interesting.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPGPV4-e3JI

Looking at this Projector:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBM0664/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also, a nerdy comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyutMJzvYAY

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom