Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Zed, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pathfinder; Pillars of Eternity

The hot buzz.. word... the latest rumors on the web is that Obsidian Entertainment is working on a Pathfinder game.

My source is Codex member tuluse, whose source is the Obsidian forums, whose source is enworld.org, whose source is some podcast, whose source is a Pathfinder developer who posted the accompanying picture on Facebook and shortly after removed it.

This would be the accompanying picture:

[​IMG]

Looks legit to me. I guess we'll hear more of this soon.

Update: Codex member Athelas remembered something Feargus told RPS some time ago:

Nothing stops us from being able to do those two different things. It’s going to make us look at Eternity as a brand. What else can we do with it? I want to hook up with the Pathfinder guys and see about doing a Pathfinder Eternity world book thing. It sounds a little weird, but… A card game. A board game. I’ve already been chatting with Cryptozoic Entertainment. We have nothing going on specifically, but they have a lot of experience in board games and card games. That’s what’s going to be transformative.​

Update 2: Apparently this might be two related games at once, a CRPG and a card game, according to the hint dropped by Lisa Stevens, Paizo CEO:

[​IMG]

In the same thread, she also posted:

All will be revealed this weekend. Well, maybe not all.

Press release tomorrow. More details throughout the weekend. We are talking about more than one type of game. I think you guys will be happy.

Btw, they are NOT taking over Pathfinder Online. Let's squash that right now.

-Lisa​

According to Lisa, it's also not a tabletop version of Pillars of Eternity.
    ^ Top  
  2. deuxhero Prophet

deuxhero
    Honestly surprised it has taken so long.

Hopefully its turn based and not RTWP shit.
    Shadowfang, boobio, oscar and 11 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  3. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Wannabe DnD rip off. Don't know much about the actual setting. the game itself could turn out to be fun and good if it is more NWN2ish than APish.
    Humanity has risen! Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  4. deuxhero Prophet

deuxhero
    Fixed that for you.
    Shadowfang, boobio, JarlFrank and 9 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  5. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    It's not really wannabe, it's an outright a d&d ripoff.
    boobio, nikolokolus, Rake and 1 other person Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  6. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "Fixed that for you."

That works too. I was just keeping comaprisons to the same company's game so there was no 'bias'.
    Shannow Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  7. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    Maybe it's one of those ipad electronic game supplements. The kind of shit Harebrained fucked around with after Shadowrun. A lot of Kickstarters and stuff for that sort of junk nowadays.

But hopefully it's a proper crpg.
    ^ Top  
  8. Abu Antar Scholar

Abu Antar
    How's the setting? I have heard of pathfinder and why it was created. But that's about as much as I know.
    ^ Top  
  9. deuxhero Prophet

deuxhero
    It's OK. The "main" area (Inner Sea Region) is way better than the Sword Coast's generic crap. Either you have a bunch of nations who hate eachother in an uneasy peace or are in northern africaish colony with ruins and natives that run the gambit from bloodthristy to exploitable peaceful, which I'll take over "its peaceful until some villain comes along and threatens it (and if it gets too big don't worry Elminster will take care of it)".
    ^ Top  
  10. Ogg Savant Patron

Ogg
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Wannabe DnD video game by wannabe Bioware. What's the point? There's already a wannabe Baldur's Gate on the table.
    ^ Top  
  11. Humanity has risen! Unwanted Patron Repressed Homosexual

Unwanted
    Pathfinder fans are even worse than DnD fans, they really disturb me, only Warhammer fans out edge them.
    ^ Top  
  12. Rake Arcane

Rake
    Since it was mentioned, i would prefer a Warhammer RPG from Obsidian, but pathfinder is also alright.
    ^ Top  
  13. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "The "main" area (Inner Sea Region) is way better than the Sword Coast's generic crap."

Don't believe you.

"Either you have a bunch of nations who hate eachother in an uneasy peace or are in northern africaish colony with ruins and natives that run the gambit from bloodthristy to exploitable peaceful, which I'll take over "its peaceful until some villain comes along and threatens it (and if it gets too big don't worry Elminster will take care of it)"."

And, this confirms why.
    ^ Top  
  14. deuxhero Prophet

deuxhero
    I'm no FR expert, but the only actual threat of war I've seen on the Sword Coast FROM the sword coast was Luskan, who I've always seen potrayed as a less than serious threat to the lords alliance, only able to threaten them if there is another bigger issue at their door (especially as they are a single city). If it's not really that generic, blame the creators of every single thing I've seen set on the sword coast for being an untalented hack.

As for Paizo, a lot of the higher ups at Paizo really have no idea how the system works. I'm glad the guy who replaced Sean " cool prestige classes, like [...] Dwarven Defender" Reynolds seems to have some idea of what he's doing (not perfect though).
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    Commissar Draco Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  15. Jedi Master Radek Learned

Jedi Master Radek
    But....but there were rumors about sci-fy rpg.....:(
    :killit:
    Tzaero, Spockrock, Western and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  16. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Pathfinder has fans?
    ^ Top  
  17. AN4RCHID Savant

AN4RCHID
    Well I hope this isn't the new Kickstarter.
    ^ Top  
  18. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    If this is going to take place of my Obsidian SCI-FI game............................ I might be OK with this (as long as it's a cRPG, not a card game).
    ^ Top  
  19. Echo Mirage Learned

Echo Mirage
    With Obsidians ability to subvert expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Pathfinder campaign book produced by Obsidian for the setting.
    MicoSelva and Humanity has risen! Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  20. Avellion Learned

Avellion
    Would be great if Obsidian could focus on just Pillars of Eternity instead of spreading their resources thin on multiple projects.

They are already localizing armored warfare (why?) and developing PoE. Dont try to chew more than you can bite.
    ^ Top  
  21. Ramireza Learned

Ramireza
    Maybe its an Pathfinder F2P MMO?
    ^ Top  
  22. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    ^ Top  
  23. deuxhero Prophet

deuxhero
    Honestly, I'm actually a bit curious to see how Obsidian would write a genuine PnP RPG module.
    Rake Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  24. Brzęczyszczykiewicz Prophet

Brzęczyszczykiewicz
    Project: Eternity
    Hopefully it is isometric.
    Sensuki and Rake Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  25. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Hmmm. Sounds interesting.

I'm assuming you picked this one up from Volourn.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)