Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian to reveal a new game at GDC 2014

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I think it's a publisher-dependent project, but the time around GDC would be a grand time to launch a Kickstarter. Gaming press is super active around that time and something like "Obsidian does something that kinda looks like Mass Effect!" would be headline material. They could also take a ton of interviews at the same time since they're at the GDC with press.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I want to believe but I almost certain it will be a mainstream popamole game like that Skyrim in space that Feargus was pitching. So not looking forward to this. Hoping for a new Fallout game is just silly, Bethesda will never let Obsidian to work on another Fallout title, they want Fallout for themselves.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I want to believe but I almost certain it will be a mainstream popamole game like that Skyrim in space that Feargus was pitching. So not looking forward to this. Hoping for a new Fallout game is just silly, Bethesda will never let Obsidian to work on another Fallout title, they want Fallout for themselves.
"skyrim in space" would be awesome.
or, something like Outcast but first person and with Obsidian's writing. yarr!

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

But they got all of the profit for New Vegas, of which there was a lot.

LivingOne

Savant
Didn't Feargus actually say that the kickstarter reveal would be indeed at around march-april,like the GDC?

Athelas

Arcane
If this news gets picked up, we could see an official response from Obsidian.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I highly doubt Obsidian will ever make a game for EA. EA has BioWare.

I guess you could say Bioware has Obsidian. I would go so far as to suggest getting them work when they really needed it. So its an important relationship, one that has transcended several different publishers.
Exactly. Obsidian would be dead without Bioware, imho.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Bioware helped them start out, but that doesn't mean they would be dead without them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Bioware helped them start out, but that doesn't mean they would be dead without them.

Had BioWare not suggested Obsidian to Atari and Lucas Arts, they most certainly would not be the Developer they are today. They would have probably ended up as some very small Developer Studio cranking out shitty flash games. :lol:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Had BioWare not suggested Obsidian to Atari and Lucas Arts, they most certainly would not be the Developer they are today. They would have probably ended up as some very small Developer Studio cranking out shitty flash games. :lol:
With all those RPG veterans at the helm of the studio, I doubt they would have accepted that fate.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If Obsidian were to make another Fallout game, I'm sure it would be Bethseda who'd announce it. So a Fallout game seems unlikely.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I really hope it's a steampunk game for once. They don't even have to advertise it as a spiritual sequel to Arcanum (which isn't that popular outside the Codex), just make something other than generic fantasy/generic sci-fi.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It doesn't even seem to be that popular here.
That's because there's too many faggots. Waaah the combat sucks therefore everything sucks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom