Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian to reveal a new game at GDC 2014

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm going to make a REALLY random guess and say it will be a Secret of Evermore 2 for Square Enix.

But seriously, do we know what publishers will attend GDC 2014 yet?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The amazing new game has a fantastic look, and was developed by a group of people who were involved in making the Baldur's Gate game.
:hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The amazing new game has a fantastic look, and was developed by a group of people who were involved in making the Baldur's Gate game.

Like I said once:

Obsidian is remembered throughout the gaming community for incredible titles such as the epic Baldur’s Gate

:lol: It wasn't so long ago that Bioware was regularly credited with creating Planescape: Torment. How the tides have turned...

Duraframe300

Arcane

Well, if we're just talking *involved* that sentence isn't completly wrong. Just *involved* as in the produciton side involved.

Also without Feargus there'd be no Baldur's Gate.

:troll:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That Baldur's Gate reference bothers me...Trento and the Beamdog retards have stated several times they had been trying to get the rights to make Baldur's Gate 3 and even Fergus has mentioned he was apporached to do it before, perhaps the fact that PE is seen as a niche but profitable nonetheless maybe it could be it

himmy

Arcane
That Baldur's Gate reference bothers me...Trento and the Beamdog retards have stated several times they had been trying to get the rights to make Baldur's Gate 3 and even Fergus has mentioned he was apporached to do it before, perhaps the fact that PE is seen as a niche but profitable nonetheless maybe it could be it

It won't be. Having Baldur's Gate 3 as the follow-up to PE, which had the BG3-in-everything-but-name as its main thing? C'mon.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
dood, please, don't be insulting. neither star wars nor mass effect is sci-fi.
Space Opera is unfortunately definded as part of the label "sci-fi"
That's one of the reasons I like to use the abbreviation "SF" instead.

Repressed Homosexual
Who would think that the people who made Alpha Protocol can make a good next-gen game when other people haven't already done most of the legwork for them?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm still holding out hope it'll be Fallout 4. The more I say it the more it has to be true.

Either that or that Mage the Ascension RPG I keep begging for.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Arcanum II

I guess there's a chance. I don't have a good source on this, but I'm pretty sure Arcanum is in the hands of Activision. To a company like that, its legacy is too small to be worth exploiting and too large to risk selling. They might be willing to rent it out, but after all of their enthusiasm, I have to wonder if the Obsidian of 2014 is at a place where they have to take whatever lopsided deal Activision would give them.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm still holding out hope it'll be an isometric turn-based Fallout game (approved/licensed from Bethesda)

Let me fix that for you. Fuck yes. :salute:
Well, it won't be that, just because I doubt a major publisher would ever throw a AAA budget at a turn-based isometric Fallout game, and I'm pretty sure this announcement will be their unannounced AAA game (how long has that been in development now? A year?)

Obviously I would prefer a turn-based isometric (ie good) Fallout sequel, but that isn't likely to happen, so IMO it would be better to put the next game in Obsidian's hands where the result is less likely to be infuriating.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I doubt a major publisher would ever throw a AAA budget at a turn-based isometric Fallout game

They could use the Fallout licence with Bethesda's blessing (and have to pay them for it), just like HBS did, using the Shadowrun setting (which M$ owns). And collect funds via a Kickstarter to make a Fallout game, not funded by Bethesda. Because yes, Bethesda only wants to fund shitty dumbed down action games.

We could finally have our fucking Fallout game back. Instead of that shitty console action shit.

Last edited:
Don't get yourselves so excited. It's a Mass Effect spinoff.

You make it sound like a Mass Effect written by Obsidian would be bad.

I'll do more than make it sound that way. I'll come right out and say it.

Yes, it would be bad.

While I won't denigrate their work, as I know they're held in high regard around here, I'm not terribly impressed with what they have made. I also think Obsidian paired with a premium publisher on a quote AAA title is a noxious mix; I think they do better with low-key titles.

Xor

Arcane
Obsidian already made their Mass Effect spinoff. It was called Alpha Protocol.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Being tied to a AAA publisher again probably would be a bad thing. We've seen how badly they got fucked in the past, imagine what EA would do to them.

I highly doubt Obsidian will ever make a game for EA. EA has BioWare.

I guess you could say Bioware has Obsidian. I would go so far as to suggest getting them work when they really needed it. So its an important relationship, one that has transcended several different publishers.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom