Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if Kickstarter reaches $2.1mil

Gregz

Arcane
you guys are fucking retarded sometimes

obsidians games are shit

Regardless of which side of the fence you're on, we've never seen what these guys can produce free of the bonds of brain dead upper management and marketdroids censoring their every good idea. This is a new landscape...we don't really know what's possible, or what to expect.

One thing is certain however, they need to deliver if crowd sourcing is to become a sustainable business model.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I just noitced that Brian Fargo and MCA have put this as their Twitter avatar

zHXEM.jpg

:hero:

FFS, what is with people taking a perfectly fine picture into some ugly black background. Use this instead (sloppy shop ahoy, but still better than ugly-black one.)

ragwdauw.png

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
December 2012 inXile update said:
Dear Fans,

There is some dissatisfaction with the way the game is turning out to be, and Kickstarter has been overwhelmed with Email requests to withdraw pledges from our project.

I won't lie - this has been pretty devastating. $380k is already gone, and we're trying to get Amazon to stop allowing the pledges to be canceled. Come on guys, it's a pledge! As far as I am concerned, the ability to withdraw pledges is a big problem with Kickstarter as is. Their customer support is way too helpful ;)

Nonetheless, at this point I have a choice: either to continue to support a vision that a minority of hardcore players wants (including myself!), or make something that will allow all of us here to feed our families.

Believe me, this decision didn't come easy to us. Just ask Chris Avellone and his ever-dwindling supply of Xanax ;)

I don't want to beat around the bush. So, let me describe exactly what we're going to do. Like ripping off a band-aid.

First of all, majority of people are concerned with romance options in the game, so we're paying special attention to that. I personally believe it's not really a bad thing, as I always craved more emotional connection with the gameworld. I promise it will be tasteful.

Now, the big whopper is the combat. We've listened to a lot of feedback, and the polls on our forums clearly show that people prefer to have a "visceral oomph" to their battles. After careful consideration, we decided to go with realtime combat. Believe me, all the strategic elements are still there, for those of you as nerdy as I am :D It's still like playing chess, only much faster-paced!

Plus, this gives us a chance to implement a cover system that Fallout never had.

Also, we are implementing in-game housing.

Despite that one poll (you know which one), we are KEEPING the quasi-isometric perspective, guys, because we don't want the game to look exactly like Fallout 3/New Vegas. Wasteland, after all, had its own style.

So, all in all, this may actually be some pretty great changes! I think we've hit the sweet spot with these compromises and it will make everyone happy. I am still enthused about the game and hope you are too!

For Gamers, By Gamers,
Brian Fargo

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, the whole point is, if they did that with shitty popamole Fallout 3, they could do some really great stuff with Wasteland 2!

Oh, totally, man. I'm just trying to play good cop to your bad cop.

Or...

um.

...something.

curry

Arcane
I just want to clarify my opinion a little. Although I'm a bit sceptical and not sure if bringing in Obsidian was a good move (which some people have labelled as 'Obsidian bashing'), I honestly hope everything works out and the game is a gigantic success, because it would quite likely change atleast PC gaming industry. And even if other Kickstarter projects fail, it would atleast give Fargo/inXile the jew gold to develop the next game on their own.

:oops:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I just want to clarify my opinion a little. Although I'm a bit sceptical and not sure if bringing in Obsidian was a good move (which some people have labelled as 'Obsidian bashing'), I honestly hope everything works out and the game is a gigantic success, because it would quite likely change atleast PC gaming industry. And even if other Kickstarter projects fail, it would atleast give Fargo/inXile the jew gold to develop the next game on their own.

Totally reasonable.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

So there's a fragile heart beating in this yellow angry shell... :love:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No harm, no foul my friend. We still need to be extremely skeptical to keep these guys (InXile/ MCA) on their toes. The LAST thing I want the Codex to become is the equivalent of a Biowarian fan-site for Brian and his team!!! :eek:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

No harm, no foul my friend. We still need to be extremely skeptical to keep these guys (InXile/ MCA) on their toes. The LAST thing I want the Codex to become is the equivalent of a Biowarian fan-site for Brian and his team!!! :eek:

If they deliver the Holy Grail of cRPG, then who knows!

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Seriously. If it's deserved, it's deserved. But right now I'm sitting firmly in the benefit of the doubt camp with a glass half full (of bourbon).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
December 2012 inXile update said:
Dear Fans,

There is some dissatisfaction with the way the game is turning out to be, and Kickstarter has been overwhelmed with Email requests to withdraw pledges from our project.

I won't lie - this has been pretty devastating. $380k is already gone, and we're trying to get Amazon to stop allowing the pledges to be canceled. Come on guys, it's a pledge! As far as I am concerned, the ability to withdraw pledges is a big problem with Kickstarter as is. Their customer support is way too helpful ;)

Nonetheless, at this point I have a choice: either to continue to support a vision that a minority of hardcore players wants (including myself!), or make something that will allow all of us here to feed our families.

Believe me, this decision didn't come easy to us. Just ask Chris Avellone and his ever-dwindling supply of Xanax ;)

I don't want to beat around the bush. So, let me describe exactly what we're going to do. Like ripping off a band-aid.

First of all, majority of people are concerned with romance options in the game, so we're paying special attention to that. I personally believe it's not really a bad thing, as I always craved more emotional connection with the gameworld. I promise it will be tasteful.

Now, the big whopper is the combat. We've listened to a lot of feedback, and the polls on our forums clearly show that people prefer to have a "visceral oomph" to their battles. After careful consideration, we decided to go with realtime combat. Believe me, all the strategic elements are still there, for those of you as nerdy as I am :D It's still like playing chess, only much faster-paced!

Plus, this gives us a chance to implement a cover system that Fallout never had.

Also, we are implementing in-game housing.

Despite that one poll (you know which one), we are KEEPING the quasi-isometric perspective, guys, because we don't want the game to look exactly like Fallout 3/New Vegas. Wasteland, after all, had its own style.

So, all in all, this may actually be some pretty great changes! I think we've hit the sweet spot with these compromises and it will make everyone happy. I am still enthused about the game and hope you are too!

For Gamers, By Gamers,
Brian Fargo

:what: You could write horror novels.

nihil

Augur
This sounds good to me. MCA helping out with some writing and design can't hurt.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
We still need to be extremely skeptical to keep these guys (InXile/ MCA) on their toes.

Considering the amount of constructive feedback AoD is getting I don't think the codex will shy away from watching WL2 development like a fucking hawk

If you think the codex bros spending hundreds of dollers on this and hoping for a new turn based heavan are going to have no expectations and nod their heads at everything automatically without thinking about what's being announced each time then you obviously just registered here

The gamers themselves are publishing this thing, so I think detailed project updates and candidness about where every aspect of their game is and where they want to take it next is a reasonable obligation for them to fulfill.
No, they don't need to second guess the hell out of everything whenever someone bitches, but the important thing is that we are going to be kept in the loop directly for once instead of relying on FUCKING GAMES JOURNALISM.

Every update has gotten noise and discussion so far, who knows the amount of posting you'll see here once stuff gets getting done

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We still need to be extremely skeptical to keep these guys (InXile/ MCA) on their toes.

Considering the amount of constructive feedback AoD is getting I don't think the codex will shy away from watching WL2 development like a fucking hawk

If you think the codex bros spending hundreds of dollers on this and hoping for a new turn based heavan are going to have no expectations and nod their heads at everything automatically without thinking about what's being announced each time then you obviously just registered here

The gamers themselves are publishing this thing, so I think detailed project updates and candidness about where every aspect of their game is and where they want to take it next is a reasonable obligation for them to fulfill.
No, they don't need to second guess the hell out of everything whenever someone bitches, but the important thing is that we are going to be kept in the loop directly for once instead of relying on FUCKING GAMES JOURNALISM.

Every update has gotten noise and discussion so far, who knows the amount of posting you'll see here once stuff gets getting done
I agree with what you are saying. I am very pleased with the direction Brian is taking this thing (except for the whole "social" crap). I was just saying some posts here, as well as some of my own, have been very "fan-boyish" and I/ we just need to take a step back and continue to encourage healthy debate/ skepticism. It is what makes the Codex so special and unique in a wasteland of computer game company forums.

Stinger

Arcane
I'll probably find a way to pester my friend to donate via paypal and then pay him in cash later.

mindx2

Patron
Just to let you bros that are interest in getting MCA to sign the Collector's Edition box. I sent this to InXile:
mindx2
Wonderful news on getting Avellone to join (if 2.1m is reached) and was wondering if he is willing to also sign the Collector's Edition? Might seem trivial but advertising if he does may mean more $250 pledges. Anyway best of luck and keep the updates and new milestones coming!
mindx2

...and here's the reply:
InXile
Hi Mindx2,
There is a good possibility on that. I haven't spoken with him about it yet but I'd imagine he would do so.

Impressed they responded so quick as I'm sure they have a ton of emails today.

MCA
Even though I still remain a bit sceptical about this whole deal (it all sounds just too good to be true) why couldn't they've announced this a day earlier? I've blown all my available money on some tablet, a camera and some assets just some hours earlier before they posted this news and would've upped my pledge otherwise.

:rage:

If you're sincere, you'll return one or two of them.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I am worried about the possibility of clashing design philosophies...

The team Brian got together is composed of people whose heyday was the late 80s early 90s.
The Obsidian/BIS/Troika guys where at their peak in the late 90's early 2000's.

Look at the generation gap between the two perspective writers:

Michael A. Stackpole (born: 1957)
First Game credited: Inhumane (1984)
Last Game credited: MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries (1996)

Chris Avellone (born: 1971)
First Game credited: Conquest of the New World: Deluxe Edition (1996)
Last Game credited: Dungeon Siege III (2011)

Cosmo

Arcane
I'm a bit worried about is a possible clash design philosophies...

The team Brian got together is composed of people whose heyday was the late 80s early 90s.
The Obsidian/BIS/Troika guys where at their peak in the late 90's early 2000's.

Look at the generation gap between two perspective writers:

Michael A. Stackpole (born: 1957)
First Game credited: Inhumane (1984)
Last Game credited: MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries (1996)

Chris Avellone (born: 1971)
First Game credited: Conquest of the New World: Deluxe Edition (1996)
Last Game credited: Dungeon Siege III (2011)

I was preoccupied by exactly the same thing.
I don't think it's a problem for MCA, since he has a pretty solid PnP RPG experience (meaning he can understand the fun of those non-too-intellectual eighties RPGs), but how would you people characterize Stackpole's writing ? Is there any redeeming quality to the sci-fi he got published ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom