Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if Kickstarter reaches $2.1mil

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Greedy fucks. Do they really need 2 million now? :roll:
I bet that when I come back here in a week or so there will be new topic "Wasteland 2 coming to Xbox if Kickstarter reaches $3mil"

Where's the greed when the people donating will get a game anyway? You call other developers/publishers 'greedy fucks' when they launch pre-orders?

is inXile forcing people to donate more than $15 dollars?

The 900,000 goal was always a barebones goal, to get a game out. You think if they asked for 2 mil from the start it would succeed? What if it fall short? They'd have to return everything and end up with nothing! Like this they secure basic funding, then work out what extra they can do for every milestone.

What about printing and manufacturing all the stuff? From this money they have to also make physical media available. Isn't it better that they have extra funding to be used for that rather than having such things being taken out of the 900,000? Sure it's not sexy to ask for more money to make physical stuff but where do people think the money for that will come from?

MCA
Actually I was just trolling. It's too easy to rile up morons just by repeating something :lol:

But that doesn't change the FACT that it won't reach $2.1M. No fucking way at this rate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, somebody load up Matlab and plot the expected function.

MCA
I bet that when I come back here in a week or so there will be new topic "Wasteland 2 coming to Xbox if Kickstarter reaches $3mil"

Where's the greed when the people donating will get a game anyway? You call other developers/publishers 'greedy fucks' when they launch pre-orders?

The 900,000 goal was always a barebones goal, to get a game out. You think if they asked for 2 mil from the start it would succeed? What if it fall short? They'd have to return everything and end up with nothing! Like this they secure basic funding, then work out what extra they can do for every milestone.

What about printing and manufacturing all the stuff? From this money they have to also make physical media available. Isn't it better that they have extra funding to be used for that rather than having such things being taken out of the 900,000? Sure it's not sexy to ask for more money to make physical stuff but where do people think the money for that will come from?

Plus, when you give them money, you're practically pre-ordering the game. It's a win-win no matter how you look at it, unless Fargo has a brainfart during development, of course :lol:

Anyway, I hope he puts that excess amount to good use since they won't hit $2.1M.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Plus, when you give them money, you're practically pre-ordering the game. It's a win-win no matter how you look at it, unless Fargo has a brainfart during development, of course :lol:

Anyway, I hope he puts that excess amount to good use since they won't hit $2.1M.

Yeah, that's what I meant in the first line that you're effectively pre-ordering by pledging.

I think it will reach 2.1 mil JUST, even if it takes Brian using that 100,000 he was saving up. They need 15,000 per day, will be close though if with a week to go Brian announces someone else coming on board or makes a decent video(rather than that crappy last one) that will get another spike before the end. It's just a marketing ploy to keep donations coming anyway. He could have said 1.8 mil or 1.9 mil but better to ask a bit more. I also think that even if it only reached 1.9 mil, they'd do the deal with Obsidian regardless.

Stabwound

Arcane
Double Fine got something like 10% of their total and over $300,000 on the last day. Even the shitty Stolen Concept Art Shooter is getting a relatively large boost in their final day. It will hit the goal.

And even if it doesn't, I'm sure MCA will work on it anyway. As said earlier, asking for a much higher amount is just a marketing trick, nothing more. Look around at almost every community talking about this game and the general mentality is "we gotta donate jew gold so they reach their goal!!!!!"

It's just like all of the previous "tiers" he introduced after the kickstarter reached full funding. I doubt Fargo would just not release the game for Mac/Linux just because it fell a few dollars short of some arbitrary goal.

Kz3r0

Arcane
At the moment they need to raise 10k$ a day to reach 2.1M.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If it hasn't reached 2,1 mill by the final day, I'm sure a lot of people will increase their pledges to push it over the limit. The final day effect is huge. Even the tactical shooter thing has gained 50K in the last day, if pledges continue to increase at this rate they might even reach their target of 200K.

So I'm in fact willing to bet that Wasteland 2 does reach 2,1 million. How about it VOTS, up for a bit of a wager over this issue? The loser gets to donate $100 U.S. to the next codex fundraiser.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As we speak, they're at $1,848,685 with 15 days to go. That means $251,315 left, or $16,754/day, or $698/h. The chances of them not reaching the $2.1M goal are quite slim IMO.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
As we speak, they're at $1,848,685 with 15 days to go. That means $251,315 left, or $16,754/day, or $698/h. The chances of them not reaching the $2.1M goal are quite slim IMO.
You forgot the 30K PayPal pledges.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
If donations slow each day, then the math doesn't work, is what he's meaning. No point getting hopes too high if there's an actual possibility that they won't reach $2.1M.

Except that won't happen. Look at the donations BEFORE the Obsidian announcement. Donations only slowed at a minimal level as they averaged around (a little more actually) ~$1000 hour. Which is still plenty for reaching the goal. Add to that what skup and sisko said. Chances of this not reaching 2.1M are slim at best except something big happens (Like multiple big donators redrawing their pledge as it happened today with that 5'000) regardless of what vots thinks.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Does is hurt that much to hope? Please point out on this doll where optimism touched you.

I've already gone through the arguments of why it will most likely make it (and more), and nothing's changed. Quality trolling job though.

MCA
Speaking of which:

10yqvwk.jpg

:smug:

It's almost as if there is a God and he wants me to win this bet. Still up for it, Spectacle? Just so you know, $100 cut it.

Grimlorn

Arcane
What I really wonder is, will Codex be able to raise another 10K for the eventual MCA-Obsidian project? It sounded to me like everyone strained themselves to squeeze out what they did.
Codex should help kickstart KotC 2 if they got the money. If MCA is working on Wasteland 2 then it's going to be several months, maybe a year before there is an MCA-Obsidian kickstarter.

KotC 2 only needs about 100k according to the creator to get released in 2 years.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Making any predictions now about how much they may or may not get is pointless since a) The donations consistently go down over the weekend and rise up on weekdays (it's impressive they had such a strong Saturday, the power of Avellone) and b) it'll really go up on the last day when all the undecideds take the plunge to get in on the pre-order.

perhaps certain backers might singlehandedly take up the slack to 2.1 mil
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1649335412
I looked up the salaries that SAP MM consultants get and, well, he's no oil tycoon if that's what you were getting at.

MCA
What I really wonder is, will Codex be able to raise another 10K for the eventual MCA-Obsidian project? It sounded to me like everyone strained themselves to squeeze out what they did.
Codex should help kickstart KotC 2 if they got the money. If MCA is working on Wasteland 2 then it's going to be several months, maybe a year before there is an MCA-Obsidian kickstarter.

KotC 2 only needs about 100k according to the creator to get released in 2 years.

How did KotC sell? 100K sounds like a very reasonable and possibly amount to raise for a KotC2, no?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
VOTS you are fucking creepy

You definitely live up to your name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom