Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if Kickstarter reaches $2.1mil

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
"Wasteland 2 released in half finished beta state"

Dude. At least read the most basic bits of news if you're going to open your dumb mouth and let all the dumb things out. Obsidian are not doing any coding.

I don't understand,that whole bitchin about Obsidian bugs and i hate it.Bugs can be fix ,worse is if you got polished game with shity content,but most of people breaking theirs keyboards about bugs,ignore fact that game is gem in matter of plot,mechanics,writing and other important stuff.
Besides W2 is game without cancerous publisher oversee so, things like patches and changes don't get blocked by theirs shitty politics.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Stabwound

Arcane
Regarding not reaching 2.1 million, they got ~$120,000 yesterday including Paypal,w and $50,000 as of now with 12 hours to go. There's absolutely no way they're going to miss the mark.

I do have my worries about the short development time, but an example would be Jeff Vogel's games, which come out on about a yearly basis, don't they? And he's a one man team. This isn't like Dragon Age or Fallout or Baldur's Gate where they design everything from ground zero including the engine, anyway. Having the engine and a good portion of the design done already is a big step.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

Oesophagus

Arcane
Stabwound said:
Regarding not reaching 2.1 million, they got ~$120,000 yesterday including Paypal,w and $50,000 as of now with 12 hours to go. There's absolutely no way they're going to miss the mark.

I think they should hit the mark. I guess anything above the 2.1M will go to polishing the game.

Stabwound said:
I do have my worries about the short development time, but an example would be Jeff Vogel's games, which come out on about a yearly basis, don't they? And he's a one man team. This isn't like Dragon Age or Fallout or Baldur's Gate where they design everything from ground zero including the engine, anyway. Having the engine and a good portion of the design done already is a big step.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the time they gave themselves is enough. I know that Fargo did some of the work already, and as I understand most of the writing has already been done. But I wouldn't mind them taking more time to make sure the game isn't rushed. And also, this is why I'm happy that Obsidian will be helping out with this, it should ease the workload at a bit.

edit

GarfunkeL said:
Your link is buggered. This is the link to the NMA article:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=61206

Thanks for that, bro

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Can you add a link to the WL2 thread?

Posted it here: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1100&start=140 which is what mindx2 is talking about, it's just the general thread.

But yeah. Even if somehow donations slow right back down to the lowest point of about $20K a day, and never pick up again, the $2.1M is pretty much in the bag.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the time they gave themselves is enough. I know that Fargo did some of the work already, and as I understand most of the writing has already been done. But I wouldn't mind them taking more time to make sure the game isn't rushed. And also, this is why I'm happy that Obsidian will be helping out with this, it should ease the workload at a bit.

Mostly the writing. Engine-wise they still got everything ahead of 'em. Graphics-wise too. But it is in no way unrealistic. As long as you scale and plan properly. That's why if this was Obsidian I'd be worrying, but inXile has proven to be able to adapt to engines and scale products to release polished, competent, if boring-as-shit games. In other words, they know exactly what they're doing in this time-frame. The one year push to complete isn't even the hard part, the hardest is getting EVERYTHING down exactly in the six months prior (including this month).

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, my link was screwed up but how about sgc_mltdown's MCA idea...

So what do you guys think about just letting MCA design the codex reward content area for us if this baby rides to 2.1 mil with what we've established about no overt references and so on of course
huh, what do you think? :mca: rocking the RPGCodex shrine!!!

edited: to give props to sgc_meltdown's original idea

Oesophagus

Arcane
OK, my link was screwed up but how about my MCA idea... huh, what do you think? :mca: rocking the RPGCodex shrine!!!

He already committed to making some custom avatar doodles for people. I guess it depends on what his role will be.

mindx2

Patron
Fargo talked about Burger in one of his Matt Chats after Burger said a bunch of crazy egomaniacal things about how much s/he did on bard's tale and comparing herself to john carmack. He said s/he did about 50 lines of code on bard's tale, max, not counting the ports to other platforms. The expression on his face was very classic wtflol. Fargo seems like a nice guy who doesn't ever say anything bad about people (and he said it nicely), but I'm guessing they wouldn't be too keen to have burger back even if s/he is a good programmer.

What's this whole s/he thing?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was also another dude on the BT team who turned tranny, I think. Paul Jaquays. And now they're having hot sweaty tranny sex with each other.

Baron

Arcane
Shamefully, I still haven't donated to Wasteland 2 due to my construction of a Eugene Tooms cocoon in the corner of my room made out of Australian currency, but there's still time for me to kick the winning goal on behalf of the Codex and reach the $2.1 million... that is unless DU has decided to use remaining Codex donations to attend a lavish pre-launch party and gloat here about it here in a coke addled stupor, that or upgrade the server... and fuck that, I already paid my dues, Jack
patron4.gif

So what is the score with that? Are Codex donations still going 100% to the company? And will I reap a signed boxed copy, working handgun and miniature hourglass filled with radiactive yellowcake if I decide to donate generously? Or am I better off donating independantly from the Codex like a diseased chaotic evil gnome and risk having my brofists stripped from me?

Oesophagus

Arcane
The Codex fundraiser is closed, friend. You can still fight the good fight by pledging 10K and making a prosper statue in W2

Baron

Arcane
Pity. Because this

currentdiff.png

looks like Crispy's pants in an Emma Watson lookalike convention.

The more money raised through the Codex for this project translates directly into a legendary treasure hoard that greedy adventuring game developers will hear about in their taverns and seek out. And, like a party of Werdna's closest neighbours we can ambush them, because that's what we are programmed to do. It's just that I really like the Codex bill spike above, I like to imagine it driven into the vacant face of the average Facebook gamer. It represents a stirring from a long dormant mountain where a mighty dragon was once rumoured to have lived. I have other fantasies too, such as reading regular Codex EXCLUSIVE interviews that we can tastefully hang around the site like scalps. Monocled interviews really tie the site together like The Dude's rug and they make a nice change from the worn rants about bioware, the perils of the joos, or [NSFW] dick women. No offence, Jaesun.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Backers

$1,841,821
pledged of $900,000 goal

days to go

Looking good. The sky is the limit.

I wonder if Fargo puts in his $100K regardless, since the $1,5M mark is reached.

Would be a nice gesture.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
I won't be back for 2-3 more days. but i have had a revolution in my game engine design. 2D only though. even after i get back it could be up to 2 weeks before all is ready for fargo. plz keep them busy talking about engines. don't let them decide yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom