Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if Kickstarter reaches $2.1mil

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Zed, Mar 30, 2012.

1. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
  2. Stabwound Magister

Stabwound
    Regarding not reaching 2.1 million, they got ~$120,000 yesterday including Paypal,w and $50,000 as of now with 12 hours to go. There's absolutely no way they're going to miss the mark.

I do have my worries about the short development time, but an example would be Jeff Vogel's games, which come out on about a yearly basis, don't they? And he's a one man team. This isn't like Dragon Age or Fallout or Baldur's Gate where they design everything from ground zero including the engine, anyway. Having the engine and a good portion of the design done already is a big step.
  3. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
  4. Oesophagus Prophet

Oesophagus
    I think they should hit the mark. I guess anything above the 2.1M will go to polishing the game.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the time they gave themselves is enough. I know that Fargo did some of the work already, and as I understand most of the writing has already been done. But I wouldn't mind them taking more time to make sure the game isn't rushed. And also, this is why I'm happy that Obsidian will be helping out with this, it should ease the workload at a bit.

edit

Thanks for that, bro
  5. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Posted it here: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1100&start=140 which is what mindx2 is talking about, it's just the general thread.

But yeah. Even if somehow donations slow right back down to the lowest point of about $20K a day, and never pick up again, the $2.1M is pretty much in the bag.

Mostly the writing. Engine-wise they still got everything ahead of 'em. Graphics-wise too. But it is in no way unrealistic. As long as you scale and plan properly. That's why if this was Obsidian I'd be worrying, but inXile has proven to be able to adapt to engines and scale products to release polished, competent, if boring-as-shit games. In other words, they know exactly what they're doing in this time-frame. The one year push to complete isn't even the hard part, the hardest is getting EVERYTHING down exactly in the six months prior (including this month).
  6. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    OK, my link was screwed up but how about sgc_mltdown's MCA idea...

huh, what do you think? :mca: rocking the RPGCodex shrine!!!

edited: to give props to sgc_meltdown's original idea
  7. Oesophagus Prophet

Oesophagus
    He already committed to making some custom avatar doodles for people. I guess it depends on what his role will be.
  8. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
  9. DwarvenFood Prophet Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    wHY DOES bURGER ASSOCIATE WITH hAMBURGER hELPER..
  10. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
  11. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    What's this whole s/he thing?
  12. circ Arcane

circ
    Really? Had I not known in advance about it I would have thought Heineman was a woman.
  13. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    There was also another dude on the BT team who turned tranny, I think. Paul Jaquays. And now they're having hot sweaty tranny sex with each other.
  14. Brayko Liturgist Patron

Brayko
    What? I just raised my pledge after hearing that. :mca:
  15. mahdi Scholar

mahdi
    Well, I doubled my donation...

to $30. :smug:
  16. Baron Arcane

Baron
    Shamefully, I still haven't donated to Wasteland 2 due to my construction of a Eugene Tooms cocoon in the corner of my room made out of Australian currency, but there's still time for me to kick the winning goal on behalf of the Codex and reach the $2.1 million... that is unless DU has decided to use remaining Codex donations to attend a lavish pre-launch party and gloat here about it here in a coke addled stupor, that or upgrade the server... and fuck that, I already paid my dues, Jack [​IMG]

So what is the score with that? Are Codex donations still going 100% to the company? And will I reap a signed boxed copy, working handgun and miniature hourglass filled with radiactive yellowcake if I decide to donate generously? Or am I better off donating independantly from the Codex like a diseased chaotic evil gnome and risk having my brofists stripped from me?
  17. Oesophagus Prophet

Oesophagus
    The Codex fundraiser is closed, friend. You can still fight the good fight by pledging 10K and making a prosper statue in W2
  18. Baron Arcane

Baron
    Pity. Because this

[​IMG]

looks like Crispy's pants in an Emma Watson lookalike convention.

The more money raised through the Codex for this project translates directly into a legendary treasure hoard that greedy adventuring game developers will hear about in their taverns and seek out. And, like a party of Werdna's closest neighbours we can ambush them, because that's what we are programmed to do. It's just that I really like the Codex bill spike above, I like to imagine it driven into the vacant face of the average Facebook gamer. It represents a stirring from a long dormant mountain where a mighty dragon was once rumoured to have lived. I have other fantasies too, such as reading regular Codex EXCLUSIVE interviews that we can tastefully hang around the site like scalps. Monocled interviews really tie the site together like The Dude's rug and they make a nice change from the worn rants about bioware, the perils of the joos, or [NSFW] dick women. No offence, Jaesun.
    schluberlubs, commie, DwarvenFood and 6 others Brofist this.
  19. G.O.D Learned Patron

G.O.D
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Backers

$1,841,821
    pledged of $900,000 goal

days to go

Looking good. The sky is the limit.

I wonder if Fargo puts in his $100K regardless, since the $1,5M mark is reached.

Would be a nice gesture.
  20. crojipjip Artist Formerly Known as Prosper

crojipjip
    I won't be back for 2-3 more days. but i have had a revolution in my game engine design. 2D only though. even after i get back it could be up to 2 weeks before all is ready for fargo. plz keep them busy talking about engines. don't let them decide yet.
    MaskedMan and Knotanalt Brofist this.
  21. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Prosper? Is that you?
  22. skuphundaku Economic devastator, Mk. 9 Patron

skuphundaku
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Most likely!
  23. Roguey Magister

Roguey
    She did donate, perhaps he'll get sympathetic.
  24. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    This will never happen. At best, it will fall just short of $2.1M, something like $2.03M. Look at the charts, it's already waning down after that initial bump:

[​IMG]
  25. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Fargo still has $100,000 he was planning to add if it doesn't reach one million. Problem solved. :smug:

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)