Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian Rumor Control

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

Darren Monahan of Obsidian Entertainment had the following things to say on the <a href=http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewforum.html?forum=95>Official NWN2 Forum</a> in order to clear up all the confusion surrounding the recent forum relocation, among other things.
<br>
<blockquote>Yep, it's time to address this.
<br>
<br>
Here's a quick FAQ on the recent forum movement:
<br>
<br>
<b>Q: Is BioWare really producing NWN2, behind the name of Obsidian, or is it truly Obsidian, with help from BioWare? Or is it Obsidian alone?</b>
<br>
<br>
A: Obsidian Entertainment is the sole developer of Neverwinter Nights 2. Obsidian is an independent game developer that has contracted with Atari to develop NWN2. Obsidian isn't a partner or subsidiary of BioWare in any way, but we did license BioWare's Aurora Engine to develop NWN2. As a group of fellow game developers we've worked with one another for many years.
<br>
<br>
<b>Q: Why did the forums move from Obsidian to BioWare?</b>
<br>
<br>
A: As a group (that is, Obsidian, BioWare and Atari) all recognize that there is a huge community of original NWN1 fans that are very active here on BioWare's forums. Our hopes in bringing the NWN2 community here is to keep the community in one place and encourage more fan discussion and input, and to maintain the community development and participation in the legacy of NWN. By moving the forums here, it was felt that fans could more easily transition from NWN to NWN2.
<br>
<br>
<b>Q: Obsidian created Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords and is also developing Neverwinter Nights 2. Does this mean Obsidian is also making Jade Empire 2 and/or Dragon Age 2?</b>
<br>
<br>
A: No.
<br>
<br>
I recognize that it has been a little confusing, but before all these wild n' crazy rumors get out of control, I thought it best to make a comment.
<br>
<br>
Thanks,
<br>
<br>
Darren Monahan
<br>
Producer, NWN2
<br>
Obsidian Entertainment</blockquote>
<br>
We'll see about that, Darren.

Avin

Liturgist
i wouldn't be pissed if they produce BG3 aka jefferson... it's been strange everchanging days.

Fez

Erudite
Interesting, at least they've reacted fairly quickly to this. I'm still waiting to hear a similar statement from Troika though...

A BG3 wouldn't be all that bad at this stage, though I've heard of no evidence to show that such a thing is forthcoming.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"though I've heard of no evidence to show that such a thing is forthcoming."

Youa re stupid.

You cna't get more evidence then: BG3 is being made - Atari. And, they've already discussed their plans for the game. Seriosuly, get a clue and pay attention.

Fez

Erudite
Of course, discussing plans means the game will be guaranteed for the shelf, just like TORN, the previous BG 3 game and the various times Fallout 3 was made. :roll:

I'm looking for something a bit more substantial, try getting a clue yourself and stop whining about nothing, you drama queen.

Though at this stage I think it'd be best to wait until the game has gone gold before betting on it reaching the stores. The number of possibly good games like Jefferson being cancelled after great effort had gone into them means it'd be wrong to get your hopes up too early, it's like the curse of Interplay looms over it, though at least with the Bioware-Atari partnership they haven't disappointed us in that aspect yet.

P.S. R00fles! I <3 you Vollie, play NWN with me instead of that harlot Jed :oops:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Atari isn't Interplay. Last I checked, no matter what one thinks of them, they don't go around cancelling large projects like a BG3 for shits and giggles. I'll give them the benfit of the doubt... this time.

Fez

Erudite
True, there is a much better chance of seeing it from them, but I am still jaded that I'll ever see it finished. I fear it'll end up like the resident ghost of the gameworld, floating, moaning and rattling it's chains as it wanders through the halls demanding closure.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I can understand the feelling. Until any game is actually released; it's *never* a guarantee.

Fez

Erudite
Yeah, it is a sad day when you can never be too cynical. :?

Spazmo

Erudite
Monahan must have been in a hurry because where it reads:

"Q: Obsidian created Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords and is also developing Neverwinter Nights 2. Does this mean Obsidian is also making Jade Empire 2 and/or Dragon Age 2?

A: No."

It should probably be "A: Not yet."

Fez

Erudite
Although it is a shame that they might not make any original IP, the sequels could still be good games in their own right. Hell, we might be eager for them to make them if the first games turn out to be gems.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"P.S. R00fles! I <3 you Vollie, play NWN with me instead of that harlot Jed"

Maybe. Maybe not. That would depend on your true feelings on NWN. I don't play games with people who hate that partiuclar game. i'll have to research your opinions on the game to mka ean informed choice.

P.S. Though; not any time soon as I'm wayy too busy making my mod. Haven't actually "played" NWN in a bit. Way too deep into crafting my crappy mod. Check me up in about 3-4 months... or not. Your choice.

Fez

Erudite
If all goes well then, it's a date sweetie pie. :wink:

Neverwhere

Novice
I don't quite see why BG3 is something to look forward to, bearing in mind that it will not have anything to do with the original games. But probably it will be good to have a full-blown, party-based D&D (not D&D lite like KoTOR) game out again. Now, if they got the ToEE engine and fixed it up a bit, that would be something...

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
:lol: Feargus must have some pictures of the Bioware CEOs in compromising positions, they keep handing him these sure money games where all the game has to do is "show up" to make game of the year as they have NO COMPETITION. SLAM DUNKS ALL AROUND FOR OBSIDIAN. I hope they actually do something worth while after they're done counting all the cash from KOTOR2 and NWN2. It would be a shame if they just sat around Bioware's table waiting for free hand outs for the rest of their life cycle.

Digit

Liturgist
Exitium strikes me as someone who thinks there is a consipiracy everywhere.

"We'll see about that, Darren." just makes me think of, "So be it, JEDI!". :D

Digit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom