Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian Reveals 'Project Eternity' - Kickstarter Live

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Kickstarter; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Link: Project Eternity Kickstarter

EDIT: Kickstarter fully funded in a little over a day! Party time!

Project Eternity is the (working?) title of Obsidian Entertainment's next game, an isometric party-based CRPG set in a new fantasy setting (hooray for new IPs!).

Here's the run-down:

9049.png

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

Click here to go to the Kickstarter page and read more about it. There will probably be a ton of interviews and stuff during the next 30 days, so stay tuned for all that.

Update
Gamebanshee has an interview up with Feargus Urquhart already! It might offer a little more in-depth information than the Kickstarter page. For instance:

Buck: What can you tell us about the entirely new fantasy world you're building, and would you categorize it as high/low magic or high/low/heroic fantasy? Why did you decide to go with fantasy instead of a lesser used theme, and what are some unique elements that set your world apart from the many others already out there?

Feargus: We talked a lot about the genre and to be honest we kept on coming back to fantasy. With all the experience we have had with a lot of varied fantasy settings, we are really looking for to taking our unique approach with factions, characters and mature themes to the setting. Ultimately, we really feel that what an RPG is about is the characters and the story – not the setting. Hit points are hit points whether you are killing past, present or future zombies. What engages and what keeps you going in an RPG are characters that you love and hate and story lines that tug at your emotions.

Buck: You stated that you're shooting for a mature game with themes that treat players as adults. Does this mean that there will be difficult choices with harsh consequences, realistic scenarios of repression, racism, and survival, bloody and ever-present war, shocking dialogue, or all of the above?

Feargus: Chris Avellone said it best when he talked about how we want tackle Mature subject matter. We are already getting to make South Park which gets all of the “dick and fart jokes” out of our system. In Project Eternity, we want to tell a story that treats players like adults. Does that mean sensationalistic topics – potentially. It means more that if a story is going in a direction our designers don’t need to shy away from how it concludes.

Buck: Speaking of dialogue, are you also using the Infinity Engine games as a source of inspiration for how to handle dialogue trees and voiceovers? Will there be voiceovers for major cutscenes and for flavor at the start of a conversation, but vast branches of dialogue that are text-only? Will our attributes, abilities, or previous actions affect our dialogue choices?

Feargus: Our goal is to use voice over as flavor and not as something that exists for every written word in the game. We don’t want to cut down on the depth of dialogs or the number of choices that players have because we are counting voice over dollars. That means, like practically every Obsidian project to date, we are going to push the boundaries of reactivity in our dialogs. And, the more we get funded the more we can do that.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
- In before RtWP bitchin and moaning.
- Needs DRM-free download (fuck Steam).
- Needs BGs option to create the whole party.
- Codex fundraiser now!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SO MUCH NAMEBOMBING

TIM

MCA

SAWYER

OH MY FUCKING GOD IAMCUMMINGSOMANYBUCKETS

ahem

Make it so :obviously:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:bro::yeah:
:takemymoney:

I didn't even watch the video yet. Just clicked BACK THIS!

FUCK YES OBSIDIAN! 1 MILLION BRO FISTS TO YOU!!!!

OK I should probably watch the video now.

Stelcio

Savant
So it is mehdieval hilaroic fantasy after all. They even admit it in the video. All that hype just to announce BG-copypaste "spiritual successor" attempt. :keepmymoney:

Although I understand some will cum all over themselves, it's just not my cup of tea.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Sounds pretty good, I guess. Don't trust Obsidian too much to not fuck it, though.

So, goal reached in 2 days?

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It would appear that the hivemind is currently experiencing a sensory overload.

Well, no wonder - it's the Second Renaissance, and not even real-time combat with pause will make me think otherwise. Now we'll finally have too many good cRPGs to play. When was the last year you could say that?

2013/2014, fuck yeah, here we come.

Concept art (the little we have seen of it) looks good. Waiting for more details.

Could still end up turn-based due to popular demand, no?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Well they didn't screw around listing all the IE games.

J1M

Arcane
I gave them minimum dollars for a copy. Would have gone higher if it was turn-based.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Not my cup of tea, I don't like the Infinity Engine games that much (I love Torment in spite of the engine)... But I want more classic 2D RPGs with relatively high production values, so I'm fucking in.

:takemyjewgold:

Gondolin

Arcane
This is what I've been waiting for. Here's hoping that Obsidian will prove wrong all those people who said: "The public no longer wants isometric games and complex stories. They want chest-high walls and and awesome buttons."

Obligatory :yeah: :5/5:

quasimodo

Augur
RTwP was the first step down the slipperly slope of decline that lead to the current state of RPGs being FPP or OTS RT games.

I might buy and enjoy the game if the writings good (and it probably will be), but I will not pay anyone to create the clusterfuck of RTwP combat.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
I will personally stop the fucking Maya prophecy from coming true! Mystery planets? Comets? Black holes? Aliens? Volcanoes? Pack your shit and move your apocalypse to another solar system, no way is the world ending before 2014! :x

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Last time I've preordered an Obsidian game what I got was Alpha Protocol. So, I seriously considered whether to pledge or not for at least 2 seconds. Went with 65+15 international shipping. Will be butthurt if let down. Man is not a learning animal etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom