Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian Pitching New Star Wars Game

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
6. Vader used force powers never seen before or since.
Can you refresh my memory? I only remember him choking some dudes and throwing shit around which are shown used by others.
I guess he means blocking Han's blaster shots with the force? That is all I can think of, and I don't think a force deflect was used again in any movies. KOTOR's had it though.

Gondolin

Arcane
Oh, DS9? Good idea!

MsTUHIW.png

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can you refresh my memory? I only remember him choking some dudes and throwing shit around which are shown used by others.
I guess he means blocking Han's blaster shots with the force? That is all I can think of, and I don't think a force deflect was used again in any movies. KOTOR's had it though.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I was pretty much just trolling for lolz though.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
:takemymoney:

There is a problem though. All this incline overloads my brain, and makes me confused, like I'm dreaming or something. Other than that I'll also go bankrupt. :(

But still, would pay, would play! :bounce:

PS. I liked KOTOR games a lot. There are some events in my life that contributed to that, but still, I like 'em. Would be great if they made another Star Wars rpg...
My thoughts align with yours re: the incline... what's going on?

Are we living in opposites land or something?

Sci-Fi everywhere I look, good RPGs on the boil.. what's next?... fucking Borg takeover, that's what.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Disney would only be interested in making movie games(action) or multiplayer fps games.
I don't think they would risk it when even the bioware has hard time with selling games lately.
They would probably follow the multiplayer-fps game strategy with lots of micro-transactions,that's where the money is lately.
But main reason disney bought the star wars trademark is toys so it's unlikely they would want to make a game or movie without popular characters.(except vader and emperor there is no one left)

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Corporate types who deal with "intellectual properties" and "franchises" sometimes feel the urge to break the blandness they imposed on them in the first place. That's when creative people (like Obsidian) can worm their way in and do something worthwhile.
Now it depends on how far Disney's willing to go with creativity, but unfortunately on the side of movies their appeal to Abrahams is just a safe commercial move (they chose the trendy but still mainstream guy)...

Anyway nothing kills creativity faster than companies not willing to understand the difference between a trade mark (security and appeal to the lowest common denominator) and a work of creation (risk and bewildering of the morons).

Horus

Arcane
Corporate types who deal with "intellectual properties" and "franchises" sometimes feel the urge to break the blandness they imposed on these in the first place. That's when creative people (like Obsidian) can worm their way in and do something worthwhile.
Now it depends on how far Disney's willing to go with creativity, but unfortunately on the side of movies their appeal to Abrahams is just a safe commercial move (they chose the trendy but still mainstream guy)...

Anyway nothing kills creativity faster than companies not willing to understand the difference between a trade mark (security and appeal to the lowest common denominator) and a work of creation (risk and bewildering of the morons).

You realize we're talking about star wars right?

Lately most major companies sees game without multiplayer or dlc avaible as a waste of resources,they want to get more than 100$ per costumer,so they choose to make more games more competitive(fifa,cal of duty...)and they think that single player games without multiplayer support as a waste of resources.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

:?
In what way is my post incompatible with the point you're trying to make exactly ?
Maybe if i had been answering you, but that's not even the case.

Horus

Arcane

:?
In what way is my post incompatible with the point you're trying to make exactly ?
Maybe if i had been answering you, but that's not even the case.
What was the last great unique idea in star wars you can remember?
Or was there anything at all?

You're right in that we need new characters,new places,new stories to keep the universe fresh but star wars is actually a pretty shallow universe that just exist for lightsaber battles and wars,and when you tried to get deeper and try add some meaning or Philosophy to the universe (ala kotor 2) we only get disjointed and broken story that has no connectivity to the rest of the universe.

If by creativity you mean different genres,star wars was drowned in genres before disney come and lots of them was pretty shit.

In my opinion remaking the universe is actually pretty bad decision when you can just simply create one easily without paying royalties(biowares kotor to mass effect)
And really disney doesn't have a problem with beign shallow,they are just hurrying to milk their cash back.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013

Yoda used it to delfect/absorb lightning in AOTC and ROTS. Dooku used it to deflect his own absorbed and then reflected lightning thrown back at him.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Force lightning and blaster shots are completely different. Blaster fire is heated gas from Bespin and force lightning is concentrated dark force. But whatever, it just looked like bullshit to me. Then again, I have an ESB poster in my bedroom that talks to me and tells me I know what I'm talking about. :smug:

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Force lightning and blaster shots are completely different. Blaster fire is heated gas from Bespin

Wow, anyone reading that probably regained their virginity.

But I digress.

They are not 'completely different'. Both are energy. If one can be deflected, so can the other. The Force User uses the Force to dissipate the energy of the blaster bolt leaving him unharmed, or something something.

Whatever the case, Obshitian NEEDS to focus on this pitch full time and make a proper TURNBASED SW RPG.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Force lightning and blaster shots are completely different. Blaster fire is heated gas from Bespin and force lightning is concentrated dark force. But whatever, it just looked like bullshit to me. Then again, I have an ESB poster in my bedroom that talks to me and tells me I know what I'm talking about. :smug:
I thought the EU explanation was actually that the Emperor had bracelets that made electricity and he just used the force to control where it went?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Also, if Vader was able to deflect energy so easily, why the fuck did Palp's lightning hurt him so badly in RotJ. I don't buy the excuse that he was exhausted from his battle with Luke either.

Btw, does anyone know of any force users in the EU that were bad ass enough to fist fight against lightsabers by reflecting the blade with force powered fists and punching through walls? That would be pretty funny if there was. I bet Riki oh! could do it.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Also, if Vader was able to deflect energy so easily, why the fuck did Palp's lightning hurt him so badly in RotJ. I don't buy the excuse that he was exhausted from his battle with Luke either.

This was explained by Lucas years ago, and it is also why Vader himself could never channel sith lightning. It is due to the fact that he is a cyborg, with robotic limbs and shit. Lightning is conductive and fries those mechanical body parts.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
But you just said blaster fire and lightning was the same thing and his cyborg parts had no problem with it. EVERYONE ELSE WHO USED FORCE DEFLECT DIDN'T DO IT WITH ARTIFICIAL LIMBS. It only exists both ways due to an inexcusable lapse on the part of the writers. They couldn't even stay consistent across 2 movies. ESB is probably the worst written SW movie of them all. Everyone knows that the Ford/ Fisher parts were ad-libed so none of their lines count. All you're left with is Colt 45, Corvette Summer, Sesame Street, and "I am your father!" ESB is a stinker in all ways except Character and Music. Fortunately, they knocked it out of the park in both cases, which makes it leagues better than most of the other Star Wars abominations.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My skin can withstand infrared radiation without a problem but not electricity, reality can't even stay consistent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom