Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian or inXile

?

• Obsidian

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • Inxile

Votes: 35 21.2%
  • bioware desu~~~~

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Both

Votes: 28 17.0%

• Total voters

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Which is better and why?

Metatron

Augur
It's a bit unfair to compare these 2 since Obsidian has 10+ years experience as a company in making rpgs while InXile was only recently capable of making anything other than a tablet game. Still, in terms of presentation PoE makes Wasteland 2 seem like amateur hour.

Metatron

Augur
Fargo is in game business since the 80's you know.

I'm perfectly aware of that but he's just one man who hadn't managed a team developing anything serious in over a decade.

I wouldn't be surprised of Torment 2 turns out to be a lot better than Wasteland (like Dragonfall vs the first SRR campaign). I suspect that game to be make or break for InXile.

Athelas

Arcane
It's not a contest.

I suspect Obsidian will win the poll because 'muh 2d iso grafix'.

Morkar Left

Neither is better. Different products.

But I grant Obsidian more experience with developing rpgs. They are doing this already since a decade? And they have only recently developed one really good (I guess, not finished with judgement) rpg. The other rpgs they did already had fully developed engines and the games weren't that good either / heavily flawed (besides NV).

InXile did really good for their first rpg. It's a new and small team, even if experienced veterans are in. And Fargo is more the experienced producer / business manager than designer.

Both studios a rising stars in classic rpgs which will finetune their products. I'm really interested in how Torment will be, how the PoE series (I hope) will develop and what will happen / gets mproved in a Wasteland 3 (again I hope).

Bioware will probably close its doors in the next 5 years because the studio is too big and they can't get the Bethesda audience.

Metatron

Augur
It's not a contest.

I suspect Obsidian will win the poll because 'muh 2d iso grafix'.

No though of course Wasteland 2 being a good contender for having the worst art direction in recent memory including a particulary terrible looking interface doesn't help.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Inxile actually (re)played PS:T before pitching their kickstarter, unlike Obsidian, who are fucking clueless about the game who's successor they're making.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Shitpost, nothing to be gained from this discussion.

There is, who is more dreamy. MCA or Fargo, what did you think this thread is about?

bfargo1.jpg

Chris_Avellone.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Inxile actually (re)played PS:T before pitching their kickstarter, unlike Obsidian, who are fucking clueless about the game who's successor they're making.

Adam Brennecke quite clearly played IWD2, there's video and everything.

Darkzone

Arcane
Torment will crush them all.
I hope, but currently i cannot make a statement about it. But until then Obsidian has created with PoE a much better experience, than inXile with W2. As i was younger i hated RtwP, now i enjoy it in PoE much more, than W2 TB combat.

KK1001

Arbiter
It's a tough call.

Obsidian, for all their experience, still has a lot of issues on the technical side. From a design perspective, Sawyer is okay, but his ideas are fairly unimaginative and the world of PoE didn't really grab me. Fenstermaker is fairly mediocre too, but I think he has some better ideas than Josh and the separation between systems design and narrative should have been more pronounced.

Wasteland 2 is pretty bad, but considering their lack of experience it wasn't a complete disaster. Saunders did a really great job on MotB. McComb was obviously instrumental in designing a lot of the Planescape universe, and he did a good job on his parts in Torment. Heine played a fairly instrumental role in in it, too. All that is really missing is Avellone at the helm.

We'll get the definitive answer once Torment is released. Personally I think Torment will be much better. McComb, Heine, and Ziets are a much stronger team than Sawyer and company, and I think $5 million goes a lot farther in a game like Torment than it does in PoE.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Obsidian, for all their experience, still has a lot of issues on the technical side. From a design perspective, Sawyer is okay, but his ideas are fairly unimaginative and the world of PoE didn't really grab me. Fenstermaker is fairly mediocre too, but I think he has some better ideas than Josh and the separation between systems design and narrative should have been more pronounced.

Apparently you don't actually know anything about Obsidian's development.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where is the BOTH option?

You know what's pretty great about this?
Years ago, we would all have jumped on any half-decent RPG. Now, we have so many decent RPGs that we can afford to call some of them shit and discuss which is better and why!! We have Wasteland 2, PoE, Divinity OS, Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, Lords of Xulima, Might and Magic X, AND IT'S NOT STOPPING

Years ago, any of these games would've made the Codex jump in joy. Now, we even have the luxury of picking which games we like and which ones we don't. Holy shit we can be choosers now, the times of being beggars and voting Dragon Age GOTY because there is little else (that year there was also Risen though so fuck you, voters) is over!

treborSux

Arcane
Fargo is in game business since the 80's you know.
I had a masochistic compulsion to play Total Recall on NES a few months ago, and saw Fargo's name at the top of the programming credits. I had no idea, not that it was even the 80s, but still.

FUN FACT: You get a free life in Total Recall if you go into the theater right at the beginning of the first stage and wait till they show Brian Fargo's name on the screen. I'm not joking.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'll reserve my final opinion on InEptile until Torment comes out but purely going with Wasteland 2 vs PoE then I'd say Obsidian >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> InEptile. It's not even a contest. Wasteland 2 was shovelware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom