Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Obsidian Media Blitz: Josh Sawyer and Feargus Urquhart Interviews

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I agree, rogues were an entirely dispensable class in P1.

These exceptions aside, however, class differentiation in Pillars was exceptionally good. They really do play differently, and your party composition dramatically affects the tactics at your disposal.

The thing with (A)D&D thieves is that outside a tabletop game, or a game specifically crafted for them, they kinda suck. They shine out of combat, and if a game doesn't have a lot of out-of-combat content, they're just deadweight. None of the party-based D&D computer games did.* Josh did the right thing by not cloning AD&D thieves in a game that didn't have the content to support them.

*Okay, partial exception for Storm of Zehir. That really did squeeze maximum mileage out of non-combat skills.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Revgender: ⚧ Savant

Rev
    Parrots:
    Sawyer has Fallout: New Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. l3loodAngelgender: ⚧ Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    My high str retarded mage that can rip books with his bare hands and can barely read is kicking ass and taking names. How is that even a design?

So you press on character creation screen and then something awesome has to happen in Dragon Age 2 Obsidian games.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Okay.

They have more than one hundred people on payroll. Do you think that will gamble with their confidence by making their dream game? Especially now that they sold a lot by delivering a mediocre game? No. They will try to do the same thing, but more efficiently. They think like a publisher. This is their job. What them want have nothing to do with it. It’s checklist box design all the way. We are talking about people who made a risky choice when they're younger and didn’t know better and now are trapped in a poisonous environment. Tim Cain is just a shadow of his former self. His passion for cRPGs is long gone.

But any market is small in comparison with Triple-A. The proper comparison is between BG, and the rest. If you consider that, the BG series was never small. In fact, alongside with Diablo, it was always on its own level of popularity turbocharged by D&D franchise. PoE is practically a skeleton of a game and they sold almost 1 mill units with a ridiculous price tag. That’s a lot. And it’s not just Obsidian, mind you. Harebrained Schemes delivered sub-par games as well, and sold a lot of units too. cRPG players like to think of themselves as hot shit, but they are not. They are mediocre and predictable. The mere resemblance of a traditional cRPG with checklist design is enough to satisfy their tastes. Anything beyond that it is risky and will only get you in trouble. If they weren’t, we would have more developers making risks.

^ Top  
  5. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    How many people worked on these games again? Did I heard any of you mentioned Guido Henkel? How about John R. Gonzalez, the Lead Creative Designer of F:NV? Ever heard of that guy? I'm sure that they used a lot of content from Van Buren. Who made those drafts? Praising and criticizing developers individually is ridiculous, guys.

^ Top  
  6. aweighgender: ⚧ Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    you'd be surprised at the amount of input 1 person has over a sprawling project.

i would venture to say the larger the team the more large chunks of the project are dictated by fewer individuals.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Chainsaw Gutsfuckgender: ⚧ Educated

Chainsaw Gutsfuck
    Parrots:
    So you are saying that there are some trap choices in character creation that are obvious, like making a mage with low intelligence but high strength.

But what if you want to hybridize? For example making a warrior that also has some stealth skills. Someone might point out that this build is inefficient, because the wise choice would be to make a pure warrior or a thief, instead of being mediocre at both. But this can be used as an argument against every type of hybrid characters. If the system is designed in a way that punishes hybridization, why even put the option to hybridize in the character creation? What is the purpose of letting the player create a character who is unable to finish the game?

This isn't a problem in tabletop RPGs because there is a DM who creates the encounters with the player's build in mind. How fair would it be if the DM didn't give a damn about your warrior/thief hybrid and just went fuck you, you must either fight this ogre that requires 100 strength or lockpick that door that requires 100 lockpicking? If he wanted you to play a specialized character why not tell you this from the start? The same applies to cRPGs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    ^ Top  
  8. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Fallout: New Vegas team

Developers

Project Director
    J.E. “Serpiente” Sawyer

Production
    Executive Producer
    Larry "54 DD" Liberty

Producers
    Mikey "Archbishop of Babies" Dowling
    Jason “Lord” Fader
    Matt Singh
    Tess "Obsidian's Gay Cowgirl" Treadwell

Additional Production
    Brandon Adler
    Matt Rorie

Art
    Lead Artist
    Joe Sanabria

Concept / Vault Boy Artist
    Brian "BRENZE" Menze

World Building Lead
    Scott "Scotty" Everts

User Interface Artist
    Jason "misterDNA" Sereno

Character Artists
    Daniel Alpert
    Aaron Brown
    Kevin Manning

Environment Artists
    Aaron Brown
    Cochey Cantu
    Roger "KOA" Chang
    Sean "The Butcher of Anaheim" Dunny
    Paul "The Wildebeest" Fish
    James "Subterranean Solzhenitsyn Aficionado" Garcia
    Ed "Leapin' Lemurs" Lacabanne
    David "Lion-2P" Lieu
    James “Simply James” Melilli
    Megan "Megantron" Parks
    Kristen "The Atomic Hammer" Wong

Weapon Artists
    Mitch Ahlswede
    Daniel Alpert
    Aaron Brown
    Paul Fish
    Kevin Manning

World Builders
    Jessica "Anita Sedative" Edge
    Denise "Space Dinosaur" McMurry
    Megan “Meganbyte” Parks
    Sydney "Detroit" Wolfram

Additional Character Art
    Chris Willis

Additional Concept Art by
    Massive Black

Animation
    Lead Animator
    Mark Bremerkamp

Animators
    Seth “Admiral McSethington” McCaughey
    Shon "Skippy" Stewart

Additional Animation
    Anthony Rogers

Audio
    Audio Director
    Scott Lawlor

Sound Designers
    Justin “Il Papino” Bell
    Andrew "Doc Galapagoes" Dearing

Additional Sound Designer
    Jonathan "Jin the Mad" Pendergrass
    Fryda Wolff

Design
    Lead Designer / System Designer
    J.E. Sawyer

Area Design Lead
    Charles "Flipper" Staples

Design Lead / Lead Writer
    John "Jongo" Gonzalez

Area Designers
    Jesse Farrell
    Eric Fenstermaker
    Akil "Long-legged Mac Daddy" Hooper
    Jeff Husges
    Robert “General” Lee
    Jorge "Oscuro" Salgado
    Travis "El Gimpo" Stout
    J.R. “Junior” Vosovic
    Stephanie Newland

Writers
    Chris "MCA" Avellone
    Eric "Dirty Fenster" Fenstermaker
    Travis Stout

Additional Area Design
    Eric "Siege Driver" Beaumont
    Jessica "Vertigirl" Johnson
    Casey "NSFW" Kwock
    Matt "Prince Latifah" MacLean
    Denise McMurry
    Sydney Wolfram

Additional Writing
    Tess "I'm gay, not desperate" Treadwell
    George Ziets
    Jason "Monster of the East" Bergman
    Nick Breckon
    Matt Grandstaff
    Will "Badger" Noble
    Andrew "Mojave, 'mo problems" Scharf

Programming
    Lead Programmer
    Frank Kowalkowski

Programmers
    Michael "Friendlier Version of That Beard Guy" Bosley
    Jonathan Burke
    Justin "I'm not sleeping, I'm compiling" Reynard
    Dan "Dan Rubalcaba" Rubalcaba
    Rob "Pants are optional" Smith

Additional Programming
    Anddy Archer
    Adam Brennecke
    Matt Campbell
    Jason "Additional Programming" Fader
    Brian Fox
    Sven Knutson
    Erik Novales
    Javier Olivares
    Daniel Teh
    Chris Tencati

Quality Assurance
    Testers
    Ashley "Childlike Cat Empress of Chocolate Mushrooms" Betters
    Casey Kwock
    Anthony "Darth Anthrax" Rogers

Obsidian Entertainment
    President and Chief Executive Officer
    Feargus Urquhart

Chief Operations Officer
    Chris Parker

Chief Information Officer
    Darren Monahan

Chief Creative Officer
    Chris Avellone

Chief Technology Officer
    Chris Jones

Information Technology
    Chris Benson
    John Wunder

But hey guys. Let's ignore this gigantic team and say this is Sawyer's game, because we need to suck developer's cock.

• retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. aweighgender: ⚧ Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    dude, do you seriously have that many posts and joined in 2015 wtf

• Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Where do you see a thief class, pal?

^ Top  
  11. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    I'm a member of the Parrots Club. One of the oldest and most secretive cults organizations in the world. This is our symbol:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, but I can't explain our goals in the new world order!

• :M :M x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    The problem is that other classes can do a bunch of stuff that only a thief should do, like lockpicking and disarm traps.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Anyone can learn how to pick locks and disarm traps, I don't see why that should be exclusive to a particular class.

The choice between "take this one class or suffer wound penalties on a character every time you walk into a trap" is a lousy one.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    That betrays a lack of understanding of what classes are about. You should have each member of a particular class to use them in specific circumstances.

• retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Classes are about filling different combat roles. :) Limiting PoE's five skills to select classes just removes character building choices for no good reason. Like if we were being simmy about this, wizards and priests would only ever be able to put points into lore, so there'd be no point in even letting you put points into skills as it would be something that would happen automatically on level up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Maxiegender: ⚧ Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    In a system of, say, 5 classes, let's say that you can have 4 party members at most. If lockpicking is class-specific, then you simply must have thieves in your party, effectively reducing the number of feasible party combinations, unless you don't need lockpicking to finish the game. Most of the time it will still be detrimental to your party's strength, coz lockpicking implies chests with high-end unique equipment, or with enough gold to power one's party without abusing game's economy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    That’s like arguing that every class should be able to heal so that you don’t need a cleric in your party. It’s a misguided reasoning, because it is staple of a class based game that you have a party composed of different classes that are supposed to fulfill different roles when needed, inside and outside of combat. When you argue that will prevent you from making other combinations, like a pure fighter class, you are completely ignoring what these games should be about. A class based game inspired in D&D is not like other games and should not be modified to satisfy your expectations about other games. You could just as well adopt a classless system if you think that way.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Maxiegender: ⚧ Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    did you put that post through some text editor again

^ Top  
  19. l3loodAngelgender: ⚧ Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    You want beat a dead horse fine, but don't drag me into this nonsense. D&D lets players hybridize, but does not support player awesome play style, because as I understand that the point of this design is to make all builds good at anything. If a retarded barely speaking PC can cast highest lvl spells, then having stats becomes a scam, because they don't matter for shit. It just actually masks that your PC is The Hawke, because stats are there for flavour and everything possible when you are awesome.

Alternatively you can ask: What is the purpose of letting the player fail at the game? Or more technically correct question: "Why let player fail to read a fucking manual?" where it fucking says that Int is important for mages. That's the correct question. Isn't it? The apparent answers are Not and it's bad for business.
    But I won't get distracted by this garbage, because the core thing here is player anything = awesome. Not some mystical bad builds, which are players fault.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    So if you don't like a game, it's all Sawyer's fault, and if you do, it's thanks to the team. :salute:

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  21. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Not only that, it's probably good in spite of Sawyer's involvement.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    These are two different questions. I’m saying that you cannot put a game individually under a developer’s belt in a cooperative development enterprise such as cRPG development. Even in extreme cases such as Grimoire, Cleve still need the help of artist to make his game. But we are stupid, tribalist and tend to create heroes, so we talk about Tim Cain’s game, or Vault Dweller’s game, or Styg’s game, when the reality is that there are other people responsible for the game.

Ok? Good, now that you understand what I was actually talking about, there is also a question of whether we can pinpoint individual responsibility for the faults of a game. If I can trace back design system principles to a specific developer, I can praise or blame him, depending on whether he was right or not in his choices. I’m justified in complimenting Josh Sawyer for his personal mod for Fallout: New Vegas, but I also justified in criticizing him for the terrible system in PoE. I can praise Eric Fenstermaker for his work on the Vault in FO:NV, and I cal also criticize him for the terrible writing in PoE.

^ Top  
  23. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    The day I stop using my text editor is the day I die. Or maybe it's the day that DarkUnderlord decide to implement justified alignment.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Revgender: ⚧ Savant

Rev
    Parrots:
    If you go with this reasoning than every game is a team effort, except maybe some of the indies, like Underrail in which Styg did the main work and even worked on it by himself for some time.

I think that the lead still has a big responsibility and it's okay to give him credit when the work is really good, so Cain deserves credit for Fallout, Avellone deserves credit for Torment and Sawyer deserves credit for New Vegas. They established a vision, made sure the game was made according to it and were still the major responsible behind it, even if they didn't write every NPC in the games, nor wrote every line of code or whatever.

^ Top  
  25. Laheygender: ⚧ Scholar

Lahey
    Parrots:
    Autuer theory is applicable to games but I disagree with your examples. BIS was not a conducive environment to such attitudes based on the testimony of former staff, and NV is about as far from fitting the criteria as any game I can think of.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)