Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian going down to South Park

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Metro said:
Anthony Davis said:
Hahahahahaha! This is great!

edit: someone get rid of my obsidian tag please.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement!

I'm laughing because a lot of you are acting like it's the end of the world. I mean I realize its the Codex and a certain amount of hatred is required and there is always the game of trying to one up each other with how shocked you are by the news.

Many (myself included) consider Matt and Trey some of the finest modern satirists working today. Holding that opinion apart, consider the fact that South Park is (over) a BILLION dollar franchise. Let that sink in for a minute.

Chance to work with some really talented guys.
Chance to work on one of the most recognized IPs in the world.
Chance to make bank.

I think Obsidian is doing what any independent game developer would do given the chance.

Now, I would bet that Obsidian would JUMP at the chance to make Arcanum 2: The Tormenting if that was something that Activision wanted to make and if they wanted Obsidian to make it. I remember telling Chris Jones that Stonebridge in DS3 could easily pass for Tarant from Arcanum and that we should put together a pitch to do Arcanum 2. Unfortunately at this time, it isn't an IP that Activision wants to work on.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Why would Trey Parker and Matt Stone want to associate themselves with a video game developer that has a reputation for releasing buggy, unfinished games?

:troll:

Radisshu

Prophet
Jedi_Learner said:
Why would Trey Parker and Matt Stone want to associate themselves with a video game developer that has a reputation for releasing buggy, unfinished games?

Your trolling doesn't really work since they apparently did.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Jedi_Learner said:

:thumbsup:

South Park is using Onyx. Onyx is pretty rock steady as far as tech goes. Easily the best tech I have ever worked with. Not perfect by any means, but then nothing is.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
The Interplay of old wasn't just about hardcore RPGs, they made a variety of games. This is what big companies with million dollar/month burn rates, have to do. You can't be a snob in real world game development, unfortunately.

Kill Do

Educated
Nice to meet you Anthony Weiner. I am Prosper.

would it be possible for a junior developer jump on board for this project? Maybe you heard of me.

Kill Do

Educated
Jaesun said:
Anthony no longer works at Obsidian Prosper.

oh right the sex things. but he might still have a chance for office.

anyhow i just found out i am incredibly awesome and will develop a game the size of guild wars and all of its expansion on my own.

MCA
Anthony Davis said:
I'm laughing because you guys are flipping your lids over this.

I'm pretty sure that Kevin Saunders designed the Spirit Meter from Mask - but maybe Fenster implemented it.

I can't talk a lot about South Park, only as things get announced. I will say that Zane, Matt, and Fenster have made several trips to NY to work with Matt and Trey.

The project was doing just fine when I left, I have no reason to believe that has changed.

Is this like that thing when AP was doing just fine when Annie & Brian left Obsidian and then we ended up getting a MILF-LOVER reiteration of the original premise? Hope it will be nothing like that.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Since you're putting your neck out, I can't resist. I'll try not to be insulting:
Anthony Davis said:
I'm laughing because a lot of you are acting like it's the end of the world. I mean I realize its the Codex and a certain amount of hatred is required and there is always the game of trying to one up each other with how shocked you are by the news.
"End of the world", "hatred", "shocked"... What are you going on about? The "shocked" impression I can understand, but I think it's a far too strong a word. From my count in both threads there are 3 posts or so that expressed anything akin to hatred (towards OE). And those were balanced by at least as many posters who expressed very positive expectations. The rest is surprize/disinterest/disappointment. What's up with people taking anything but ringing endorsement as "hate" and with going on about "codex hate" when the codex has anything but single mind in about any game/issue?
Many (myself included) consider Matt and Trey some of the finest modern satirists working today. Holding that opinion apart, consider the fact that South Park is (over) a BILLION dollar franchise. Let that sink in for a minute.
See VD's posts.

Chance to work with some really talented guys.
Chance to work on one of the most recognized IPs in the world.
Chance to make bank.
And? Why should any of that change how I, an RPG player and potential customer, see this news? Change "South Park" with "McDonald's", if anything your points get more true...but my reaction to a McDonald's RPG would be even worse...

I think Obsidian is doing what any independent game developer would do given the chance.
Again, why should that change my reaction? "This whore goes into bed with ugly, old, fat men. So what, it's what any whore would do if she gets paid enough."

Now, I would bet that Obsidian would JUMP at the chance to make Arcanum 2: The Tormenting if that was something that Activision wanted to make and if they wanted Obsidian to make it. I remember telling Chris Jones that Stonebridge in DS3 could easily pass for Tarant from Arcanum and that we should put together a pitch to do Arcanum 2. Unfortunately at this time, it isn't an IP that Activision wants to work on.
Yeah, we know that, but it's what Obsidian does, that is judged, not what they would have done in a better world...
But this answers my old question about how Obsidian's leverage with publishers changed after the success of NV. Not much, it seems.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It has not changed much b/c LV's success is balanced out by AP , DS, and Alien failures not to mention the fact that Atari, LA (espiciaklly them),a nd Sega are butthurt after paying Obsidian money and being overlal dissapointed by the results.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Anthony Davis said:
Hahahahahaha! This is great!

edit: someone get rid of my obsidian tag please.

Is Matt the Lead Designer?

I believe I am allowed to say that he is.

How much creative freedom do you guys have on the title? I'm unclear on that at the moment. How much did Matt and Trey actually write. z.B for sidequests and so on? Did you provide them with dialouge bits and they rewrote? Also does the game have C&C?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
villain of the story said:
Anthony Davis said:
I'm laughing because you guys are flipping your lids over this.

I'm pretty sure that Kevin Saunders designed the Spirit Meter from Mask - but maybe Fenster implemented it.

I can't talk a lot about South Park, only as things get announced. I will say that Zane, Matt, and Fenster have made several trips to NY to work with Matt and Trey.

The project was doing just fine when I left, I have no reason to believe that has changed.

Is this like that thing when AP was doing just fine when Annie & Brian left Obsidian and then we ended up getting a MILF-LOVER reiteration of the original premise? Hope it will be nothing like that.
I see nothing wrong with that. :M

the_dagon

Educated
South Park : the game is not scheduled for PC.

Only PS3/XBUG360.

Is RPGCodex interested in console games now ?

I didn't think RPGCODEX would scale to this (low) level...

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
the_dagon said:
South Park : the game is not scheduled for PC.

Only PS3/XBUG360.

Is RPGCodex interested in console games now ?

I didn't think RPGCODEX would scale to this (low) level...
It's being developed for PC too bro.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Shannow said:
But this answers my old question about how Obsidian's leverage with publishers changed after the success of NV. Not much, it seems.
Going by Zane Lyon's linkedin, this project started in July 2010, before New Vegas was even released.

hiver

From gamebanshee:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105941- ... tails.html

there is going to be a special ro sham bo attack so you can all cream your pants now.
:retarded:

Basics

-The first game Parker and Stone have directly participated in, writing the script and the dialogue.

-Parker has always preferred silent protagonists in RPG's, so the player’s character will be silent.

-The player’s character will be fully customizable.

-Your character has a smartphone that acts as the primary game menu and has a facebook-like app show your number of friends you have and your current standing with the various kid factions.

-There are five classes, which are wizard, paladin, adventurer, rogue, and a fifth unannounced class.

-Obsidian is using the Dungeon Siege III engine.

-Obsidian developed a dynamic lip-syncing tool to accommodate changes to the script.

-Parker and Stone gave Obsidian 15 years of assets used during the show and a detailed list of approved textures and colors.

-Critical hits, cash rewards, experience, and consumables are in the game.

-Parker hates unskippable cutscenes.

-The humor will be more focus on the games they have played in the past but Parker mentions that games have lampooned other games before so they don't want to do exactly that instead they are focusing more on RPG's on how big and bombastic they can get sometimes.

Combat

-Many elements of the combat system are like Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games.

-If player initiates combat they will attack first and vice versa.

-X button is for melee attacks, pressing it in well-timed succession will result in multiple hits.

-Timed inputs occur for defense as well for reduced damage.

-Obsidian doesn't want the player to have to sit and watch animations play out; they're incorporating dynamic camera angels at certain times, such as a Ro Sham Bo attack that stuns an enemy.

RPG

-Enemy encounters are visible on the map.

-Soda are health potions and Tweak's coffee is a haste item.

-There are melee and ranged weapons, as well as a lightning powered Okama Gameshpere that is a magic item.

-There is a Final Fantasy Materia like system in the game to augment weapons with various abilities like fire, poison, and electricity.

-There is a Summon System but they are not able to talk about it.

Other

-When Obsidian were first coming up with ideas they show Parker and Stone a quest where you go into a cave and fight a giant bat boss that Ike is riding on, Parker and Stone said that the quest wasn't Southpark, that it was a generic video-game. Parker and Stone then mention a quest to get Kung Pao Chicken from City Wok, to readjust Obsidian focus.

-When they start making the town hub Parker and Stone realized that they did not have a true layout for the town, so they had fun figuring out where everything went.

-There will not be any platforming, they tried jumping early on but it didn't seem right.

-They talk about how they have had to scrap level because the perspective wasn't right because everything is hand illustrated and hand animated.

-They talk about the challenges of making a comedy driven game, Portal 2 is mention, they say if Portal 2 dialogue was on top of a shitty game it wouldn't be as good, so they want to make a game that is as good as the dialogue.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Roguey said:
Shannow said:
Going by Zane Lyon's linkedin, this project started in July 2010, before New Vegas was even released.

The Linkedin only stated when he joined Obsidian. Before that his title was "Senior Artist" or something. It got only updated two months ago. I'd say the project started around New Vegas release.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Roguey said:
Shannow said:
Context, bro, context. Re-read what I quoted and then reconsider the context. The statement had nothing to do with SP-RPG.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Shannow said:
Roguey said:
Shannow said:
Context, bro, context. Re-read what I quoted and then reconsider the context. The statement had nothing to do with SP-RPG.

The only project they started AFTER New Vegas is an original IP (Led by Sawyer). Which shows leverage. Your point?

DarthBehemoth

Learned
hiver said:
From gamebanshee:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105941- ... tails.html

there is going to be a special ro sham bo attack so you can all cream your pants now.
:retarded:

Basics

-The first game Parker and Stone have directly participated in, writing the script and the dialogue.

-Parker has always preferred silent protagonists in RPG's, so the player’s character will be silent.

-The player’s character will be fully customizable.

-Your character has a smartphone that acts as the primary game menu and has a facebook-like app show your number of friends you have and your current standing with the various kid factions.

-There are five classes, which are wizard, paladin, adventurer, rogue, and a fifth unannounced class.

-Obsidian is using the Dungeon Siege III engine.

-Obsidian developed a dynamic lip-syncing tool to accommodate changes to the script.

-Parker and Stone gave Obsidian 15 years of assets used during the show and a detailed list of approved textures and colors.

-Critical hits, cash rewards, experience, and consumables are in the game.

-Parker hates unskippable cutscenes.

-The humor will be more focus on the games they have played in the past but Parker mentions that games have lampooned other games before so they don't want to do exactly that instead they are focusing more on RPG's on how big and bombastic they can get sometimes.

Combat

-Many elements of the combat system are like Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games.

-If player initiates combat they will attack first and vice versa.

-X button is for melee attacks, pressing it in well-timed succession will result in multiple hits.

-Timed inputs occur for defense as well for reduced damage.

-Obsidian doesn't want the player to have to sit and watch animations play out; they're incorporating dynamic camera angels at certain times, such as a Ro Sham Bo attack that stuns an enemy.

RPG

-Enemy encounters are visible on the map.

-Soda are health potions and Tweak's coffee is a haste item.

-There are melee and ranged weapons, as well as a lightning powered Okama Gameshpere that is a magic item.

-There is a Final Fantasy Materia like system in the game to augment weapons with various abilities like fire, poison, and electricity.

-There is a Summon System but they are not able to talk about it.

Other

-When Obsidian were first coming up with ideas they show Parker and Stone a quest where you go into a cave and fight a giant bat boss that Ike is riding on, Parker and Stone said that the quest wasn't Southpark, that it was a generic video-game. Parker and Stone then mention a quest to get Kung Pao Chicken from City Wok, to readjust Obsidian focus.

-When they start making the town hub Parker and Stone realized that they did not have a true layout for the town, so they had fun figuring out where everything went.

-There will not be any platforming, they tried jumping early on but it didn't seem right.

-They talk about how they have had to scrap level because the perspective wasn't right because everything is hand illustrated and hand animated.

-They talk about the challenges of making a comedy driven game, Portal 2 is mention, they say if Portal 2 dialogue was on top of a shitty game it wouldn't be as good, so they want to make a game that is as good as the dialogue.

I hate to say it bros but... this actually sound kinda nice...

Shannow

Waster of Time
IronicNeurotic said:
Shannow said:
Roguey said:
Shannow said:

The only project they started AFTER New Vegas is an original IP (Led by Sawyer). Which shows leverage. Your point?
THIS:
You ironically ignorant fuck. FFS, I though Volly was bad. That quote is completely independant from any project that may or may not have started after NV. Now, you can feel free to call Anthony out on being full of shit and rub whatever Arcanum/Planescape project Sawyer is now working on due to leverage generated by NV under his nose or you can stop being such a fucking stupid fanboy.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
IronicNeurotic said:
Roguey said:
Shannow said:

The Linkedin only stated when he joined Obsidian. Before that his title was "Senior Artist" or something. It got only updated two months ago. I'd say the project started around New Vegas release.

No, I can confirm that this game was started be FO:NV was released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom