Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian going down to South Park

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Azrael the cat said:
Why the fuck do you all assume that MCA is working on every Obsidian title.

Get this straight: the writing is being done by MATT STONE and TREY PARKER. MCA AND OBSIDIAN ARE NOT DECONSTRUCTING JACKSHIT.

Nobody assumes that you dumbshit. We don't even know.

Furthermore. No, they aren't writing the whole. Or do you think Matt and Trey will be the entire time at Obsidian designing all quests and so on? Get real, retard. They are writing the plot and/or adjust the dialouge to better fit south park at most.

Also at least ONE Obsidian writer IS working on this project. You know who? Eric Fenstermaker who also wrote for Mask of the Betrayer and New Vegas where he designed and wrote Vault 11. I'm pretty sure hes not going to smoke weed all day instead of working.

:x

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Edward_R_Murrow said:
In a modern thriller, you play an amnesiac Canadian who must stop a plot by alien Illuminati Fishmen from the center of the Earth who plan to harvest humanity for their poo, from which the invaders create more of their kind. You have no memories of who you are, and the only clues you have are a fourth grader in a cardboard box who pretends to be a robot, and a nametag on your leisure suit that says Micheal Adahn Shepard.

SOUTH EFFECT PROTOCOL SIEGE: TORMENT OF THE SHIT LORDS

:thumbsup:

GOTY!

Deleted member 7219

Anthony Davis said:
Hahahahahaha! This is great!

edit: someone get rid of my obsidian tag please.

PM DarkUnderlord and he should take care of it for you.

Azrael the cat said:
They've already confirmed that they've completely outsourced the writing

Link? The gameinformer page only stated that the two SP guys were writing the script.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Azrael the cat said:
It isn't about 'support this shit game so they can finally make a good one'. It's that a company should NEVER EVER turn down a profitable contract - if they can find room for creative work then that's great, but ultimately there is no downside to easy profit.
Only if you view the short term as more important than the long term. Which of course, is what most companies do. But it's not some universal law that has to be adhered to. Of course there can be downsides to easy profit, don't be so unimaginative.
The idea of being a fan of a company, whether Obsidian or Bioware or Troika is just nuts - they exist purely to make profit. Be a fan of products certainly, and individual creatives, maybe, but not the company itself. The only thing that companies are measured by is profit.
If you are a shareholder. As a consumer it's perfectly fine to judge companies by other factors. I'm not a fan of any company and I'd judge them product by product, but their profits don't interest me as long as they're high enough to keep them running (if they tend to produce stuff that I like).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Anthony Davis said:
Hahahahahaha! This is great!

edit: someone get rid of my obsidian tag please.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Dicksmoker said:
When did you leave Anthony?

There's a big thread in GRPG where all that info's in, Anthony also gave some small insights and general views of Obsidian ( :love: )

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
660-what-in-the-emperors-name-am-i-reading.jpg

Cassidy

Arcane
I think a GTA-like sandbox action game would fit better with South Park/Beavis & Butthead/Idiocracy/etc.

Stinger

Arcane
Aaand Avellone's confirmed that he is not working on the South Park RPG, via twitter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IronicNeurotic said:
Also at least ONE Obsidian writer IS working on this project. You know who? Eric Fenstermaker who also wrote for Mask of the Betrayer and New Vegas where he designed and wrote Vault 11. I'm pretty sure hes not going to smoke weed all day instead of working.
Fenstermaker's not necessarily writing, he also designed Mask's spirit meter and does a lot of scripting (he did almost nothing but scripting in NWN2 OC for example).

Also geez, you guys really are getting worked up about this. Chillax. :mca:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I'm laughing because you guys are flipping your lids over this.

I'm pretty sure that Kevin Saunders designed the Spirit Meter from Mask - but maybe Fenster implemented it.

I can't talk a lot about South Park, only as things get announced. I will say that Zane, Matt, and Fenster have made several trips to NY to work with Matt and Trey.

The project was doing just fine when I left, I have no reason to believe that has changed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anthony Davis said:
I'm pretty sure that Kevin Saunders designed the Spirit Meter from Mask - but maybe Fenster implemented it.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=468.0
Kevin Saunders said:
Eric Fenstermaker, who is currently working on our Aliens RPG, was the designer in charge of the system and I think his implementation was excellent. You can blame (or credit) me with the decision to do it and for its high level goals as a game feature.
Hope you understand my slight misinterpretation. Being all precise is so difficult when you're outside-looking-in.
I will say that Zane, Matt, and Fenster have made several trips to NY to work with Matt and Trey.
Also good to be corrected about which project Zane was director on. So uh... are you at any liberties to say what Virginia's deal is? At least that it's a thing that's still happening/no longer happening?

Cassidy said:
I think a GTA-like sandbox action game would fit better with South Park/Beavis & Butthead/Idiocracy/etc.

It kind of worked for the Simpsons Hit And Run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom