Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian going down to South Park

MCA
To be honest, I can see the potential. Anyone of you watched the Lord of the Rings spoof episode, The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers? Or Good Times with Weapons? Some of the best episodes, along with plenty of others, of course. Sky is the limit for a satiric parody RPG in South Park universe.

I only hope that it won't be anything like Costume Quest. Not that CQ was bad but we already got CQ.

The important issue I see is how they will cope with some of the traditional RPG elements in a satiric RPG. For instance, loot. The only Obsidian game that did away with loot was Alpha Popamole and it was a retarded way of trying to prevent the players from breaking the game (since you had to manage your funds on equipment and intel between missions). Loot is almost central to all the other Obsidian games, DS3 being the strongest example where you live to loot and loot to live. I don't see how a similar linear loot progression wouldn't turn a South Park RPG into a silly arcade game.

Dialogue is another one. Do we know anything about the authors of South Park? Do they understand the importance of dialogue trees in RPGs and will permit and help write such an approach or will we get railroaded with a "South Park The RPG Episode" with little involvement?

Then there's combat. All Obsidian games are also somewhat heavy on trash mobs. I can see how combat could correlate to simple things in South Park, eg. see the referenced episodes above but not so much with trash mobs.

In short, The South Park RPG would have to be one hell of an RPG with lots of thought and balancing behind it than just a commissioned load of silliness to be anything worth of mention and I doubt it has any chance to be the former.

meh

Educated
Hopefully all Chiefs responses will be in songs.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Stinger said:
Dead Money criticised the quest compass and had Elijah basically saying that quest compasses make you lazy and stupid.
He did? I missed that, do you remember the context?

Coyote

Arcane
Haven't played Dead Money yet, so there may be more to it, but I think he was referring to this line:

Elijah said:
That thing on your wrist - it's a convenience. It tells you where to go, what to do, dulls your brain.

Stinger

Arcane
Yeah, that line and also in the game itself the quest compass isn't as reliable (I think it's justified as interference or something) so it points you in a rough direction but actually getting there is quite difficult.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If they were to do a Parker/Stone project I would have preferred Team America World Police. I guess people just didn't get that despite being a lot better than all but the very early South Parks before they had giant celebrities fighting each other of flying off to other planets every second episode.

OuterSpace

Scholar
Now, in hindsight, any other announcement would have been a disappointment. Matt and Trey deserve only the most accomplished story tellers at the reigns of their thematic, tragic, and provocative masterpiece that is SOUTH PARK The RPG!!
A Baseketball RPG would have also have been acceptable.

kris

Arcane
Excidium said:
Mrowak said:
So can anyone explain to me why is the news generating so much butthurt? They aren't making Eragon RPG, or did I miss something?
I don't think anybody is butthurt, we're just having fun. I mean everyone knows Obsidian is the cheap whore of the RPG industry, but nobody imagined they would get this low.

South Park RPG, r00fles!

Why is it such a low?

I can only say that I like the setting and that it feels fresh. What will be done with it sure isn't clear.

"Si, fly"

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Oh, you will take everything KodexKreamingKris shoots at you, won't you?
:codexisfor:

The standard policy for avoiding disappointment should be "every upcoming RPG is crap until proven innocent". But I'd like to be proven wrong. :salute:

A basketball RPG? I have already one. It's called NBA2K12. If you play it well, it's more of and RPG than any of the button mashers that have come out lately.
Select "creating a legend", select Kobe, enjoy. You'll be able to LARP the Lakers as they slog through the finish line of every game despite being ultrastrong on paper, and you'll have to carry them with ridiculous shots. You'll do a lot of crazy shit, but you'll be leading the league in field goal attempts and you'll barely float above 40% shooting.

You wanna LARP tragedy that gives Macbeth a run for his money? Select Vince Carter. Try making at least three dunks a game. Enjoy.
:smug:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
:lol: People thinking anybody is still going to make games for the kind of people that spend their days codexin'... This thread... Obsidian trolling... South Park... Just :lol:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
villain of the story said:
To be honest, I can see the potential. Anyone of you watched the Lord of the Rings spoof episode, The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers? Or Good Times with Weapons? Some of the best episodes, along with plenty of others, of course. Sky is the limit for a satiric parody RPG in South Park universe.

I only hope that it won't be anything like Costume Quest. Not that CQ was bad but we already got CQ.

The important issue I see is how they will cope with some of the traditional RPG elements in a satiric RPG. For instance, loot. The only Obsidian game that did away with loot was Alpha Popamole and it was a retarded way of trying to prevent the players from breaking the game (since you had to manage your funds on equipment and intel between missions). Loot is almost central to all the other Obsidian games, DS3 being the strongest example where you live to loot and loot to live. I don't see how a similar linear loot progression wouldn't turn a South Park RPG into a silly arcade game.

Dialogue is another one. Do we know anything about the authors of South Park? Do they understand the importance of dialogue trees in RPGs and will permit and help write such an approach or will we get railroaded with a "South Park The RPG Episode" with little involvement?

Then there's combat. All Obsidian games are also somewhat heavy on trash mobs. I can see how combat could correlate to simple things in South Park, eg. see the referenced episodes above but not so much with trash mobs.

In short, The South Park RPG would have to be one hell of an RPG with lots of thought and balancing behind it than just a commissioned load of silliness to be anything worth of mention and I doubt it has any chance to be the former.
Custom Quest came to my mind as well. Funny that it was also published by THQ, just like this SP game. CQ showed that a game in a cartoonish world with children heroes can be fun, it even had some light RPG elements (and turn based combat :smug: ). I don't see a reason why Obsidian couldn't make a good game in a cartoonish world with heavier RPG stuff in it.

Oh, and I want to battle this out in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuHwwI0QOC4

kris

Arcane
Mozgoëbstvo said:
Oh, you will take everything KodexKreamingKris shoots at you, won't you?
:codexisfor:

The standard policy for avoiding disappointment should be "every upcoming RPG is crap until proven innocent". But I'd like to be proven wrong. :salute:

A basketball RPG? I have already one. It's called NBA2K12. If you play it well, it's more of and RPG than any of the button mashers that have come out lately.
Select "creating a legend", select Kobe, enjoy. You'll be able to LARP the Lakers as they slog through the finish line of every game despite being ultrastrong on paper, and you'll have to carry them with ridiculous shots. You'll do a lot of crazy shit, but you'll be leading the league in field goal attempts and you'll barely float above 40% shooting.

You wanna LARP tragedy that gives Macbeth a run for his money? Select Vince Carter. Try making at least three dunks a game. Enjoy.
:smug:

Are you talking with me?

IronicNeurotic said:
Excidium said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Uhm, everyone is aware that this could seriously end up as a game with more hardcore rpg mechanics
You realize it's being developed by Obsidian?

And.....? Thats exactly why.

Avellone/obsidian is ALL about deconstruction. A parody game gives them more creative freedom (both narrativly (at least for non-main plot stuff) and mechanically)

Tim Cain is working on this too by the way.

@Stinger Not expecting it, just hoping.

Why the fuck do you all assume that MCA is working on every Obsidian title.

Get this straight: the writing is being done by MATT STONE and TREY PARKER. MCA AND OBSIDIAN ARE NOT DECONSTRUCTING JACKSHIT.

Not Parker/Stone do a fair bit of deconstruction themselves, and know their way around computer games and rpgs, so they may well have some fun stuff to say. But MCA isn't even writing this game - why the fuck are we talking about him using it to deconstruct crpg tropes.

If you're going to get your hopes up about MCA deconstructing crpg tropes, at least stick to games that he is actually WRITING. Fuck, Sawyer takes lead development on FO:NV, does a splendid job, and people STILL give the credit to MCA.

This is also, incidentally, why it doesn't matter if the project is a complete turd. Obsidian is a multi-project ocmpany: their job is to take on as many cash grabs as they can. Taking on a development contract doesn't mean that this is what MCA is developing his next big writing effort to. They've already confirmed that they've completely outsourced the writing, for fucks sake. Next they just hire some code-monkeys and auxillary staff, and run the project parallel to any others they are working on.

It isn't about 'support this shit game so they can finally make a good one'. It's that a company should NEVER EVER turn down a profitable contract - if they can find room for creative work then that's great, but ultimately there is no downside to easy profit.

The idea of being a fan of a company, whether Obsidian or Bioware or Troika is just nuts - they exist purely to make profit. Be a fan of products certainly, and individual creatives, maybe, but not the company itself. The only thing that companies are measured by is profit.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
THIS IS SOME FUCK

:decline: So much for that original IP on their new engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom