Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian going down to South Park

deuxhero

Arcane
treave said:
deuxhero said:
Wait, this is a THQ product?

:x

They have the Avatar license! Why put Obsidian to this crap?

What, you rather they make a RPG based off blue furries? Oh wow.

FFS, that joke was never funny. A:TLA predates the shitty special effects fest.

Zomg

Arbiter
Wait, wait, obsidian is doing a sequel to Dungeon Siege??

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Such a strange idea that I can barely wrap my head around it. I'd be generally inclined to cry foul and call it low-grade, cash-in bullshit...but it's Obsidian, not some lowest bidder company you've never heard of programming a movie tie-in from the back room of an Arkansas honkey-tonk. They're a proper developer with budgets, and offices, and a genre pedigree, and a pair of big-boy pants and everything.

Regardless of how this seems now, on announcement, I don't think it will be anything that anyone expects. It might not end up being a purchase for me (any interest I had in South Park faded several years ago) but I can guarantee that I'll follow the development process like a starving man. No matter what, this is going to be interesting to watch.

In a modern thriller, you play an amnesiac Canadian who must stop a plot by alien Illuminati Fishmen from the center of the Earth who plan to harvest humanity for their poo, from which the invaders create more of their kind. You have no memories of who you are, and the only clues you have are a fourth grader in a cardboard box who pretends to be a robot, and a nametag on your leisure suit that says Micheal Adahn Shepard.

SOUTH EFFECT PROTOCOL SIEGE: TORMENT OF THE SHIT LORDS

L9GWp.png

COMING WEDNESDAY

I would rather have something completely unserious and nonsensical like South Park than another faggy fantasy setting so this news is pretty exciting to me.
I'm going to enjoy all the butthurt that will be caused by this. I hope they take the trouble to make some jabs at Codex in this game too.
Need..more..details..

Shannow

Waster of Time
Zomg said:
Wait, wait, obsidian is doing a sequel to Dungeon Siege??
*g*
Yeah, actually that was even more of a low point.

So I've been looking for the positives aspects in this:
1. If they stay true to the show it's impossible to fuck up the camera.
2. ...Uhm...Well...I doubt it'll be as shitty as DS3...

There, I'm an optimist.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Uhm, everyone is aware that this could seriously end up as a game with more hardcore rpg mechanics that makes fun of modern conventions?

Perfect codex game?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
IronicNeurotic said:
Uhm, everyone is aware that this could seriously end up as a game with more hardcore rpg mechanics
You realize it's being developed by Obsidian?

Stinger

Arcane
Expecting hardcore rpg mechanics is a stretch but it'd be nice to see a game make fun of everything wrong with modern rpgs, even if it's forced to stick to a lot of those "conventions" by necessity.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Excidium said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Uhm, everyone is aware that this could seriously end up as a game with more hardcore rpg mechanics

And.....? Thats exactly why.

Avellone/obsidian is ALL about deconstruction. A parody game gives them more creative freedom (both narrativly (at least for non-main plot stuff) and mechanically)

Tim Cain is working on this too by the way.

@Stinger Not expecting it, just hoping.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
IronicNeurotic said:
Uhm, everyone is aware that this could seriously end up as a game with more hardcore rpg mechanics that makes fun of modern conventions?

Perfect codex game?
You know...fuck me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
IronicNeurotic said:
Excidium said:
IronicNeurotic said:

Avellone/obsidian is ALL about deconstruction. A parody game gives them more creative freedom (both narrativly (at least for non-main plot stuff) and mechanically)

I guess some people just never learn...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
deuxhero said:
treave said:
deuxhero said:
Wait, this is a THQ product?

:x

They have the Avatar license! Why put Obsidian to this crap?

What, you rather they make a RPG based off blue furries? Oh wow.

FFS, that joke was never funny. A:TLA predates the shitty special effects fest.

It wasn't a joke, I really thought you were referring to James Cameron's Avatar. :/

Stinger

Arcane
Excidium said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Excidium said:
IronicNeurotic said:

I guess some people just never learn...

He does have a point. Dead Money criticised the quest compass and had Elijah basically saying that quest compasses make you lazy and stupid. It generally involved attacking handholding both through story and gameplay to the point where lots of people disliked the dlc for it.

I hated NWN2 but it did occasionally mock fantasy cliches.

And of course Kotor 2.

Still too much to even hope for good crpg mechanics in a title like this- unless Matt & Trey are secretly hardcore rpg fans, but the game will probably have more than its fair share of rpg criticisms and parody.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It doesn't bloody matter what obsidian wants or likes to do, the publisher makes the rules.

Stinger

Arcane
If LucasArts didn't realise that Kotor 2 was blatantly attacking the Star Wars setting until well after the fact then I doubt THQ is going to care about Obsidian parodying rpgs in a comedic game.

I actually wish Matt and Trey had agreed to write a new property for Obsidian. Would be more difficult to get funding for, which negates the project's advantage (easy money, minimal brand risk), but those two guys have surely moved beyond Southpark by now. FFS they've just written the most successful Broadway musical in recent years - why go back to old properties now that they're at the height of their critical success?

Kill Do

Educated
I wish I could disclose certain information. But that will have to wait. I am sure everyone will enjoy it. Prosperous times ahead.

I want to be an uncle fucker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom